pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
There are many methods you could use to pollinate your mother plants. I've created and am testing my own modification to the brush method. The problem I see with a brush is you don't have the control over stray pollen you think you do. Pollen doesn't stick well to brushes and flies off easily. Transferring pollen from a container to a brush also sends stray pollen flying.

To keep this to a minimum. I decided that cotton swabs would work better than a brush. Pollen will stick to the many fibers and most likely will keep the pollen from flying off easily.
First I gather my materials:
cotton swabs
plastic zip lock bags one large and one small
desicant packs
spray bottle
rubber gloves.
I've tested this now with several plants and it works very well. Here's how I do it:
I do this in a closed room away from the grow area.

I collect the pollen within a cabinet or a bin to control stray pollen. I wipe all surfaces with a wet cloth so that flying pollen will stick and be rendered inactive. I wipe my face, hands and arms, and also put on old, damp clothes ( sounds like a lot of work, its not and stray pollen can mess up a grow! )

I take a swab and lightly touch it to any an area of pollen. Off the leaves works well. Then I dab one very gently on the pollen sacks. Realize, you can't touch these without spilling pollen, its all but impossible

Next, I place the swab in the smaller ziplock. I place a desiccant pack in with it. I then make another swab. I put 4-6 swabs per ziplock.I seal and place this bag in the larger bag. When I'm done collecting pollen, I place a couple dessicant packs in the larger bag. I label both bags and seal the large bag and place it in the freezer.

I spray the male and the container/cab with water to neutralize any remaining pollen. I dunk the male in a pail of water to be certain, then I sent it to a drying box ( I render males for oil )

I recently used my first batches on pollen collected this way, and it worked great! I pollinated the Dragon's Blood and my Dragon Kush this way and I'm about to collect MANY seeds from them! I'm about to do this to a Russian Dragon today.

Give it a try!

Because of where I live, I won't post videos, though I'd like to.

This would also be good in video format. For members who need visual guidance in the world of collecting an pollinating plants.

Disguises work a treat. But meh hey ho that's the way life goes.

Back