How I dry/cure my harvest

chuckeye

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Greetings,

Hopefully some might find this useful !

To start I feed right up to harvest. IMO starving doesn't provide any benefit. I believe the plant gets more benefit from available nutrients than from cannibalizing it's leaves.

My last watering is three days before chop. Up till the week before they were taking a gallon every two days in 3 gallon fabric pots with ProMix HP.

Harvest is when ALL the white pistils have turned color and receded. AND the trichomes are all at least cloudy/white, some amber is good.

I chop when lights normally come on, no dark period other than regular lights off.

My last crop I wet trimmed on the plant, seemed to be quite a bit faster.

Then I cut off the branches and hang in the dark. Best I could do was 45% RH and 70 degrees. A suggested ideal is 50-60/60.

I had a staggered harvest so I built a frame and threw a tarp over it :biggrin:

And had a 50cfm fan blowing in. Takes six to seven days for the buds to feel "crispy", I never did get the hang of the "snap the branch" thingee..

KG & GG#4 hanging.jpg

Cut the buds off the branches and loose fill a food grade container to at least 3/4's full. Anything less is too much air.

OR multiple jars, your choice :cool:

Pop in a hygrometer (less than $20 for 5 off Amazon) and check it the next day. Takes a while to get a good reading as the crispy parts will absorb moisture from the bud interiors.

Ideally it won't be over 70. If it is leave the top off the contain for a half hour, three times a day. Much over 70% is mold area and I would either paper bag it or lay it out on newspaper for a while. You will get the hang of this part, no pun intended !

It's handy to have an extra container the same size. Place on top of the original and flip. This is less harsh than fluffing up the buds and gives the bottom of the container access to the burp.

When RH is in the high 60's burp the container twice a day for a couple of minutes until it reaches 58%.

Hopefully this will take at least two weeks.

Curing KG & GG.jpg

Then I vacuum seal in 1 L mason jars with a 58%/size 8 Bovida pack.

Some prefer 62% but 58% works best for me to grind for joints or pipe.

The KEY to a good cure is paying attention to the RH !

Gelato auto.

Gelato.jpg

Purple Silverback auto.

Purple Silverback.jpg

Please feel free to add your comments/alternatives to this method.

Cheers

Greetings,

Hopefully some might find this useful !

To start I feed right up to harvest. IMO starving doesn't provide any benefit. I believe the plant gets more benefit from available nutrients than from cannibalizing it's leaves.

My last watering is three days before chop. Up till the week before they were taking a gallon every two days in 3 gallon fabric pots with ProMix HP.

Harvest is when ALL the white pistils have turned color and receded. AND the trichomes are all at least cloudy/white, some amber is good.

I chop when lights normally come on, no dark period other than regular lights off.

My last crop I wet trimmed on the plant, seemed to be quite a bit faster.

Then I cut off the branches and hang in the dark. Best I could do was 45% RH and 70 degrees. A suggested ideal is 50-60/60.

I had a staggered harvest so I built a frame and threw a tarp over it :biggrin:

And had a 50cfm fan blowing in. Takes six to seven days for the buds to feel "crispy", I never did get the hang of the "snap the branch" thingee..

View attachment 1464028

Cut the buds off the branches and loose fill a food grade container to at least 3/4's full. Anything less is too much air.

OR multiple jars, your choice :cool:

Pop in a hygrometer (less than $20 for 5 off Amazon) and check it the next day. Takes a while to get a good reading as the crispy parts will absorb moisture from the bud interiors.

Ideally it won't be over 70. If it is leave the top off the contain for a half hour, three times a day. Much over 70% is mold area and I would either paper bag it or lay it out on newspaper for a while. You will get the hang of this part, no pun intended !

It's handy to have an extra container the same size. Place on top of the original and flip. This is less harsh than fluffing up the buds and gives the bottom of the container access to the burp.

When RH is in the high 60's burp the container twice a day for a couple of minutes until it reaches 58%.

Hopefully this will take at least two weeks.

View attachment 1464027

Then I vacuum seal in 1 L mason jars with a 58%/size 8 Bovida pack.

Some prefer 62% but 58% works best for me to grind for joints or pipe.

The KEY to a good cure is paying attention to the RH !

Gelato auto.

View attachment 1464029

Purple Silverback auto.

View attachment 1464030

Please feel free to add your comments/alternatives to this method.

Cheers
Thanks for this. It's just what I was looking for.

go to "GrowWeedEasy.com" a very good site to learn (a must for the novice" ate any rate I hange for 3 days the cut bud off branches and then "sweat them" in a plastic tub for 3 day or so (till dry BUT spongy) then I jar - need at least a 15day cure but 1 mo + is best (can be strain dependent) One can groew and if you cure or dry wron g yu can destroy your whole crop

go to "GrowWeedEasy.com" a very good site to learn (a must for the novice" ate any rate I hange for 3 days the cut bud off branches and then "sweat them" in a plastic tub for 3 day or so (till dry BUT spongy) then I jar - need at least a 15day cure but 1 mo + is best (can be strain dependent) One can groew and if you cure or dry wron g yu can destroy your whole crop
That is horrible advice.

Hanging three days isn't long enough. The rh is likely 85%.

"Sweating" in a plastic tub is just asking for mold. Anything over 70% is where mold thrives.

And jarring without mentioning burping is also asking for trouble.

Hygrometers are your friend !

Cheers

That is horrible advice.

Hanging three days isn't long enough. The rh is likely 85%.

"Sweating" in a plastic tub is just asking for mold. Anything over 70% is where mold thrives.

And jarring without mentioning burping is also asking for trouble.

Hygrometers are your friend !

Cheers
each to it's own -- ( have never let my dry for 7 days 9 get too dry)(used to when I was a novic e grower some 50 yrs ago) I do "BURP" thru the whole process Hey !! It works for me also dry time depends on strains - If you check daily then NO mold or anything comes into the picture (you might think it;s bad info - wasn't directed to you Question was thoughts on drying and curring) How do you dry you product I feel you response is very bad - running someone down Just because it dosen't fit your wheel house. came to this site to share and learn and with answers like your's one might feel not to post what they think or do in fear that someone will put them down) @chuckeye No sense running down members or being negative towards thought there were better members on this site - not ones to more or less say you are "full-of-shit" Warriors help folks out not de-grade them maybe I took this wrong and maybe you should have re-thought your reply before you posted _ Disappointed (did mention GrowWeedEasy for complete info on subject.

Back