Grow Mediums Heater for reservoir during winter

I've searched my local water quality report and it is not in there, but curious what the impact is...can you see it affect growth; does it impact taste/smell of harvests; or is it solely the health concerns of growing a consumable plant with it?
I'm not sure what the impact is, but I do know that it isn't beneficial too the plant. I had to email my water company to find out if they used chloramine, or chlorine. Like I said you can use it most people use tap for house plants, and they survive. The plant doesn't want it tho, so I won't give them it lol. There may be no noticeable difference in the plant at all. It's just 1 of those things that I can simply not give them so I won't. As for the pH down same thing. I plan on getting some organic pH down, but for now I try not to use it. Just got into organic growing so still learning more than I know hahaha.

It should be an easy test. I'm going to try it. Measure PH before and after using and air stone. I'm curious. I wonder if the composition of the stone would affect the PH. A plastic aeration hose vs. an air stone. 2 hours vrs. 24 hrs.
What is the mechanism that changes the PH of water by adding air? Please explain.

One gallon RO water in a plastic container. Air Stone and pump.
START
12/8/23 - 12.17 pm (GMT). PH = 5.58 (temp= 63.7f)

I'm bored. I'll check and record results in 4, 8 and 24 hrs.

I'm not sure what the impact is, but I do know that it isn't beneficial too the plant. I had to email my water company to find out if they used chloramine, or chlorine. Like I said you can use it most people use tap for house plants, and they survive. The plant doesn't want it tho, so I won't give them it lol. There may be no noticeable difference in the plant at all. It's just 1 of those things that I can simply not give them so I won't. As for the pH down same thing. I plan on getting some organic pH down, but for now I try not to use it. Just got into organic growing so still learning more than I know hahaha.
When I was collecting rainwater it always PH the same at 6.5. I was told that PH isn't as important when growing organic. To be on the safe side I would check the PH anyway. My RO water is at PH 5.5. To raise it I simply add some rainwater until I get a reading around 6.5. I suppose you can use distilled water to bring it down. I tried a bottled water experiment and found that seeds will germinate just as well in very high PH 9.5 and low PH 5.5. Even Pelligrino sparkling mineral water. Some or all of the nutrient lines require exact PH. That's just seems like a PITA for me.

It should be an easy test. I'm going to try it. Measure PH before and after using and air stone. I'm curious. I wonder if the composition of the stone would affect the PH. A plastic aeration hose vs. an air stone. 2 hours vrs. 24 hrs.
What is the mechanism that changes the PH of water by adding air? Please explain.
That's a good question... I could see the material possibly having an impact. Like the stone, if you get a cheapo from China made with cheap materials. I would think the longer you bubble the higher it will go to a point. I have no idea what the catalyst is for the change is. I will try to test this out if I can I'm in the process of starting a new grow so I have things to do before that.

I have no idea what the catalyst is for the change is.
It is the gas exchange of CO2

When water is aerated, it creates turbulence. The turbulence then causes the aqueous CO2 (carbon dioxide) to outgas. Outgassing of CO2 from water results in an increase in pH. Aeration is the only means of increasing pH that will not increase the Total Alkalinity.

It is the gas exchange of CO2

When water is aerated, it creates turbulence. The turbulence then causes the aqueous CO2 (carbon dioxide) to outgas. Outgassing of CO2 from water results in an increase in pH. Aeration is the only means of increasing pH that will not increase the Total Alkalinity.
Yes. In 4 hrs. the PH is up to 6.7. That's pretty good right there. So, PH up can be achieved with an air stone? I love it. Now I want to find out how long it will take for the PH to get too high. Or will it stop at some point?
Get this one, lol, By pumping CO2 through the air stone you can lower the PH. The CO2 reacts with the water to form carbonic acid which lowers the PH. That's a loose translation of what I read. Don't take it as a fact. I have to try it. My friend has a home soda machine that uses a small CO2 tank. I'll bring a sample of RO water and see what happens to the PH level when CO2 is pumped through it slowly.

Yes. In 4 hrs. the PH is up to 6.7. That's pretty good right there. So, PH up can be achieved with an air stone? I love it. Now I want to find out how long it will take for the PH to get too high. Or will it stop at some point?
Get this one, lol, By pumping CO2 through the air stone you can lower the PH. The CO2 reacts with the water to form carbonic acid which lowers the PH. That's a loose translation of what I read. Don't take it as a fact. I have to try it. My friend has a home soda machine that uses a small CO2 tank. I'll bring a sample of RO water and see what happens to the PH level when CO2 is pumped through it slowly.

I believe it should stop at some point depending on how hard the water is to start. This starts getting above me I just know air stone or submersible pump with do this you just need to break surface tense on the water

That's a good question... I could see the material possibly having an impact. Like the stone, if you get a cheapo from China made with cheap materials. I would think the longer you bubble the higher it will go to a point. I have no idea what the catalyst is for the change is. I will try to test this out if I can I'm in the process of starting a new grow so I have things to do before that.
I'm with you on that. I'm trying to fix all the broken parts before I start my next grow. Water. Such a simple thing to screw up.

Back