Grow Mediums My Autopot Questions

NorseGrower

Plug Unplugged 2020
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
El Chem Kiwi, Pink Panama, Wedding Cake
Hey all,

I've heard of autopots before and never really gave it much thought. Recently I was listening to a podcast, that turned into some YouTube videos and next thing you know I got some autopots and accessories being delivered this week. So let me tell you my plan first and we'll go from there:

I got a 2 pot system with 3.9 gallon pots and plan to use in a 4x2 tent. I got the airbases, air domes, air stones, air pump, reservoir riser and propagation lids on the way.

I'm normally a Fox Farm Ocean Forest user. I understand the perlite suggestion so I got some perlite coming and I have a brick of coco. I was going to mix 1/3 of each of 3.

I decided to use this system for first time doing another first, growing some photos. My plan is to germinate one In-House Genetics Garlic Fusion and one Solfire Sol Sonic. I plan to then transplant into solo cups until root bound then likely transplant into 3.9 gallon autopot system.

I have been going through difficult nutrient lines to try. I understand that you want to use a mineral based nutrients. For whatever reason I ordered the Advanced Nutrients PH perfect Grow, Micro and Bloom bundle. I figured it wouldn't be as thick as some of the organic liquids I've tried.

Now for the questions:

1. Do you think going from fully rooted solo cup to the 3.9 autopots is best move? I'd hate to add a 1 gallon transplant between the two unless there is noticable benefits. Your thoughts?

2. Once I have transplanted into system, do I still need to top water for awhile till roots reach low in pot or does system wick up enough that that's not necessary?

3. With new 5.0.vavle and 3/8" lines, it seems using nutrients in reservoir isn't too detrimental. I'm used to feeding every other watering. Do I just mix up 13 gallons of feed and fill reservoir and top off with mixed feed as well till flush? Or am I better off using Grow dots or something that allows me to run just pure water?

4. My well water has PH of 8.0. If I use PH down to get to 6.5 and pour in reservoir I can't imagine that staying stable till use. Will it? Should that be a concern. Same with it I use nutrients in reservoir. Do I need to run air stones in it to help keep mixed? I think this was big part of why I went with the PH perfect line

5. Airbase users: I saw a video where they mentioned that you need your media to go down into the holes in the base to allow for proper wicking up into the pot. Do you put the root guard on top of that media in those holes? Or do you not use the root guard with the airbases/air domes?

6. Do you think I should run line past my 2 pots with cut off to flush lines? If I like I may get another set up for other tent. I don't want on same reservoir as I'd like to stagger so unless I go grow dots route, there would be different nutrient requirements.

7. What are you doing to clean or flush lines? Is it something you can use during grow or is that not a maintenance procedure I have to worry about until between grows?

8. How long should I expect my 13 gallon tank to last with two flowering plants? I am wondering if I'll need bigger reservoir to make it for week long vacation?

Anything else I should no? Maybe some don'ts?? Thanks all!! Excited to try something new and to have a way to cope with vacations.

Hey Buddy,

I'm not going to be able to answer all of your questions, but the ones I can, I shall :cheers:

1. The less you transplant the better. Going from solocups to the final pot is just perfect.
2. Yes you do. You need to topwater until week three. That's about the time the roots will have colonized the medium.
3. If you're going to feed the plants chemical nutrients it's best to do this in a coco based medium. That way you can feed to runoff once in a while. I would recommend going pre-amended soil and a water only treatment from within the system. Have a look at the BioTabs nutrient line. It works perfect in combination with the Autopot system.
4. Do you know what's inside the well water? If it's that high in pH, then there must be loads of calcium and stuff in there. Don't know how well the pH perfect line fairs with such a high start pH.
5. you don't even need the domes. I use a piece of airtubing with holes pricked along it's length on a T connection. Put that on the bottom of my Autopots.
6. Yes, be prepared for expansion and having an external valve is always useful when the tent is full with flowering females...
7. Dunno, I use water only.
8.My tank held four 8.5L pots alive and kicking for over ten days.

Hope it helps :toke:

Agree with everything Bob said here. I ran autopots with coco for a couple of years with varied success. I highly recommend a flood tray or something of the sort. They can leak from various spots and ruin your day, and it'll be a slow leak so sometimes you won't find out until you wake up in the morning and see water all over the place. I'd add, get a shut off valve for each pot, makes it much easier when you have to take them out and flush and allows you to harvest at different times or to take a plant off the rez if it's doing it's own thing. Slf100 is a natural product that breaks down salts and will keep you're lines clean and slow nutrient buildup. A little pricey but good stuff. With my 4 pot setup I'd only go through maybe a little more then the rez in a week in flower and just mix up some more in a bucket and dump it on top when it's low. It won't go through more then half a rez full until like after stretch is done. Don't mix more then you need for a week and clean and wipe out the rez before fresh nutes, shopvac and paper towels works fine

Any leads on sources of Biotabs nutrients in the US? Most everywhere I can find is overseas and will not allow me to import it.

Thanks

Bob's Autos, I went ahead and ordered the BioTab Starter kit from only place I could find that would ship it to me and that was off Amazon. I will give it a go, I wanted to try the BioTab Tabs forever having read about them from Mephisto's grow guide. Water only minus one time mid way treatment sounds amazing and organic to boot? Win win Thanks!! I will use up that Advanced on my 1 gallon auto grows.

JP1, Thank you! I never really thought I had too much to worry about flood wise but where my set up is would cause me great grief if it did. I ordered a 4x2 low rise flood table tray that will fit in tent and holds more than reservoir does and I am going to check out dimensions of tank as it will be outside tent and will get a tray for it as well just to minimize damage if/when it happens.

I got my seeds today and they are soaking. I received the autopot set up and all my accessories today. I should have the trays and BioTabs before they are ready to transplant into system.

Last edited:
Bob's Autos, I went ahead and ordered the BioTab Starter kit from only place I could find that would ship it to me and that was off Amazon. I will give it a go, I wanted to try the BioTab Tabs forever having read about them from Mephisto's grow guide. Water only minus one time mid way treatment sounds amazing and organic to boot? Win win Thanks!! I will use up that Advanced on my 1 gallon auto grows.

JP1, Thank you! I never really thought I had too much to worry about flood wise but where my set up is would cause me great grief if it did. I ordered a 4x2 low rise flood table tray that will fit in tent and holds more thank reservoir does and I am going to check out dimensions of tank as it will be outside tent and will get a tray for it as well just to minimize damage if/when it happens.

I got my seeds today and they are soaking. I received the autopot set up and all my accessories today. I should have the trays and BioTabs before they are ready to transplant into system.
I grow in autopots and start all my girls off in solo cups as you said and I normally pot them up say before day 10 . i also have some plants growing in biotabs now being top-fed if you want to check my sanlight thread

I grow in autopots and start all my girls off in solo cups as you said and I normally pot them up say before day 10 . i also have some plants growing in biotabs now being top-fed if you want to check my sanlight thread

Thanks! I am off to check it out now!

Thanks! I am off to check it out now!
as you will see I've tried many different types of growing and every type of pot you could think of from solo cups and pop bottles even a wellington boot and of coarse the autopots so if you need anything just ask bro but I think you're in very good hands with our @Bob's Auto's

JP1, Thank you! I never really thought I had too much to worry about flood wise but where my set up is would cause me great grief if it did. I ordered a 4x2 low rise flood table tray that will fit in tent and holds more thank reservoir does and I am going to check out dimensions of tank as it will be outside tent and will get a tray for it as well just to minimize damage if/when it happens.

Amazing to hear you found BioTabs in the US! I know it's a mess since Corona to get stuff certified. At least that's what I'm hearing left and right...
I know they are hard at work to get everything in order and to start exporting State side...You guys just have to be patient until you can buy it in your local growshop :goodluck:

Any way. As soon as you start with the BioTabs kit, tag me and I'll come running :woohoo:

Back