Mephisto Genetics Height estimates, soil vs hydroponics

I use a condensate pump for my runoff. A little more expensive but works great. Might be worth looking into. It sits under the plants and pumps into a bucket outside the tent
View attachment 1657147
Also, have you tried LST or using a net to keep the plants shorter?
Yeah, about a hundred bucks or more. I thought about these pumps if I switched from buckets to bins, they look like they can get closer to the bottom. I am a budget grower with an expensive hobby, so maybe I should get the 29$ pump

But let me get a better idea of your setup.

Your plant pots sit on and drain into a tray, along with the condensation pump?
This would mean any size planter, placed anywhere without an overhaul? (Such as going from medium plants 1 run to an SOG the next etc)

If that is correct, the only problem I see with the condensation pump setup would be light getting to the nute solution.

My setup now has everything connected with yellow hose, so I can't reposition them or add more plants.

I use a condensate pump for my runoff. A little more expensive but works great. Might be worth looking into. It sits under the plants and pumps into a bucket outside the tent
View attachment 1657147
Also, have you tried LST or using a net to keep the plants shorter?
Yes, they are supercropped and LST with a trellis net.

Yeah, about a hundred bucks or more. I thought about these pumps if I switched from buckets to bins, they look like they can get closer to the bottom. I am a budget grower with an expensive hobby, so maybe I should get the 29$ pump

But let me get a better idea of your setup.

Your plant pots sit on and drain into a tray, along with the condensation pump?
This would mean any size planter, placed anywhere without an overhaul? (Such as going from medium plants 1 run to an SOG the next etc)

If that is correct, the only problem I see with the condensation pump setup would be light getting to the nute solution.

My setup now has everything connected with yellow hose, so I can't reposition them or add more plants.
My pump is $62 on Amazon right now and there's cheaper ones
Screenshot_20240103-184322.png

My plants sit in a tray on a short table in my tent. Pump and heater are under the table and it stays pretty dark. I pump the runoff out of the tent into a bucket but you could pump it wherever. These are 1 gallon pots so I've got 45" from the top of the coco to the light on my setup
IMG_20240103_183936675_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240103_183918551.jpg

Looks like all the advantages that I imagined. Lots of room, Very flexible.

Over the years I came to the conclusion that neither soil or coco suit life in a tiny metropolitan townhouse, so I use hydroton now. The dwc system had heat issues in the res so I put in an external res, drip pump, and drainage hoses. Works great except for the height.

Hydroton doesn't hold water long, so the drip is 30 seconds on/off, 59 minutes per hour. 3 gallons per hour, basically. An inline pump would run a minute, a few times per hour to drain the buckets and keep the res levels up.

Could a condensation pump keep up with 3+gallons per hour in a recirculating system? It would be running constantly.

Looks like all the advantages that I imagined. Lots of room, Very flexible.

Over the years I came to the conclusion that neither soil or coco suit life in a tiny metropolitan townhouse, so I use hydroton now. The dwc system had heat issues in the res so I put in an external res, drip pump, and drainage hoses. Works great except for the height.

Hydroton doesn't hold water long, so the drip is 30 seconds on/off, 59 minutes per hour. 3 gallons per hour, basically. An inline pump would run a minute, a few times per hour to drain the buckets and keep the res levels up.

Could a condensation pump keep up with 3+gallons per hour in a recirculating system? It would be running constantly.
Not totally sure. I've never had it back up on me though. It pumps out pretty quickly. They're rated at 65-80 gallons per hour. Mine has no problem with 2 gallons of runoff in 20 minutes

Hmm. I should reconsider my setup.
I have to go to the hydro store, anyways. they are great at 8nfo and help with planning. I am sure they have seen all kinds of systems.

Thanks @JP1

Hmm. I should reconsider my setup.
I have to go to the hydro store, anyways. they are great at 8nfo and help with planning. I am sure they have seen all kinds of systems.

Thanks @JP1
Just another option to look into. Only issue I've ever had with it is little pieces of coco getting stuck in the hose fitting. But it's a 2 minute fix. Good luck with the setup:thumbsup:

Hydro will normally produce a larger plant, as growth is just accelerated using that method. Migro has he's take on it here.

I've been wondering about coco vs hydro, and this video does a great job of showing the difference. It is all about the root mass, there is a lot more room for them in hydro. Only so many roots can be packed into a coco pot, and the ultimate size of the root mass limits the size of the plant. IMO, of course. Anyway a very informative video, thanks for posting. :pighug:

I've been wondering about coco vs hydro, and this video does a great job of showing the difference. It is all about the root mass, there is a lot more room for them in hydro. Only so many roots can be packed into a coco pot, and the ultimate size of the root mass limits the size of the plant. IMO, of course. Anyway a very informative video, thanks for posting. :pighug:
I found that hauling soil/coco in and out of an urban townhouse didn't suit me at all. Pests love it too.

So far I love hydro. Water is nearby on the same floor. It is easy to keep clean.

I need to make a lot of improvements, but that's the fun. Even with the mistakes I made and the heat/light issues, I will get enouph to see me through the next 2 cycles plus.

theres been a lot of developement and i don't know if you spotted my grows with the "pyramids" - that experience makes me wonder if it's just best exposure of roots to nutrients. Theres not soo much needed for huge plants.
I haven't made up my mind why exactly they work so well for me, but they do.
I feed those pyramids just like hydro with no run off - that simplifies a lot and gives me nice plants. They are just 26 cm high and that makes a lot of space left upwards. My "setup" is very flexible and others have done nicer.
Id never go back to pebbles or dwc, nor would i go coco (never did). I found the thing that makes life easy.
Not want to advertise, just want to show an alternative to look at. I am in no way affiliated with them - just in case someone thinks.

Back