Mephisto Genetics Height estimates, soil vs hydroponics

VitaMan

Clean Glass + New Whip
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Island Sweet Skunk, Comatose, el Chapo, and others.
Hi MephHeads
Usually the stated height for a strain is for soil growing.

I am finishing my second ever hydro grow with clones and they grew faster and stretched more than the same strains did in dirt. I can't be sure they are from the same moms as before but I can say after harvest and cure that the Pink Kush is identical in every other way.

Is this going to be the case with my Strawberry Nugget Autos? The stated height is 60cm. Should I plan for more?

At 60cm height, the canopy can be rouphly 24" from the COBs. I won't have to modify setup yet and can get growing right away. If they will be much taller than 90cm, I will have to wait until I can fit a drainage pump and lower my buckets.

Hi MephHeads

I am finishing my second ever hydro grow with clones and they grew faster and stretched more than the same strains did in dirt. I can't be sure they are from the same moms as before but I can say after harvest and cure that the Pink Kush is identical in every other way.

Is this going to be the case with my Strawberry Nugget Autos? The stated height is 60cm. Should I plan for more?

At 60cm height, the canopy can be rouphly 24" from the COBs. I won't have to modify setup yet and can get growing right away. If they will be much taller than 90cm, I will have to wait until I can fit a drainage pump and lower my buckets.
I grow in soil with cobs. 24” tall is pretty right on the money, most are shorter. it’s a squat, short, tight noded plant with very large fan leaves. Be on your game with canopy management, don’t try and play catch up with these.
cheers
os

Hi MephHeads

Hydro will normally produce a larger plant, as growth is just accelerated using that method. Migro has he's take on it here.

I grow in soil with cobs. 24” tall is pretty right on the money, most are shorter.
Hydro will normally produce a larger plant, as growth is just accelerated using that method.
Explosive growth during veg was expected, but the increased stretch was a surprise. In fact, this time I ran in to heat and light issues when my Death Bubbas far exceeded the expected stretch and are about 6" from the COBs.

Since I can't shorten the veg time with autos, I can prepare for let's say 90cm at most, and pray that I don't run out of room.

Since I can't shorten the veg time with autos, I can prepare for let's say 90cm at most, and pray that I don't run out of room.

Lighting has a lot to do with the stretch should be able to be suppressed with enough of the right light. Personally I’ve seen it go both ways in my grows and a lot depends on the strains, genetics, and how it’s being fed will play a part. Too much N will cause stretchy growth. That being said if height becomes an issue I wouldn’t be afraid to super crop. I’ve done it to my auto’s in the past and will do it again if needed:toke::headbang:

Last edited:
On this topic, with a recirculating drip on hydroton, do I really need 5 gal buckets for autos?

3 gallon buckets would give me 10cm more and I could keep the gravity drain system.

Eventualy though, I will have to install the drainage pump. And a pump cost about the same as 3× 5 gal buckets.

On this topic, with a recirculating drip on hydroton, do I really need 5 gal buckets for autos?

3 gallon buckets would give me 10cm more and I could keep the gravity drain system.

Eventualy though, I will have to install the drainage pump. And a pump cost about the same as 3× 5 gal buckets.

I have no clue would assume so since that’s all I see folks using but I don’t know I grow in coco in small containers either 2 or 3 gallon and I don’t recirculate I run DTW

What pumps are you using? I use cheap ones from Amazon Kedsum brand 100 watt pump is usually <30$

Lighting has a lot to do with the stretch should be able to be surpassed with enough of the right light. Personally I’ve seen it go both ways in my grows and a lot depends on the strains, genetics, and how it’s being fed will play a part. Too much N will cause stretchy growth. That being said if height becomes an issue I wouldn’t be afraid to super crop. I’ve done it to my auto’s in the past and will do it again if needed:toke::headbang:

They are under 300w horticultural COBs. 320w from the wall. (5×100w driven at 60%, plus fans). It could be the N, hydro is new to me and I am still working on getting the the nutes weak enough.

Actualy, the death bubba foxtailing is from too much light and heat, as I mentioned they stretched way more than expected. These clones were supercropped as soon as they were established to begin their training. Followed by LST and defoliation. I admit that I could have vegged 1 week less, but I was expecting a "normal" stretch.

Good to know that in a pinch (lol) I can supercrop the autos!

Thanks LD 👍

I have no clue would assume so since that’s all I see folks using but I don’t know I grow in coco in small containers either 2 or 3 gallon and I don’t recirculate I run DTW

What pumps are you using? I use cheap ones from Amazon Kedsum brand 100 watt pump is usually <30$
I have a LetPot running the irrigation. Max 250gph but it is actualy pumping 3 gal per hour now. Bluetooth, timers, automation. I am pretty happy with it. I switched out the stock emitters for pressure compensating 1GPH emitters. (2 per plant, might increase it to 3)

I presently have the buckets raised 9 inches for gravity drainage, which is the issue.

I will get an Active Aqua 250gph submersible/inline pump to drain so that I can lower the buckets. These pumps have a ceramic shaft and impeller so they are fine for salt. They are $29 (Canadian ) at my local hydro shop.

I will probably put it inline unless I can figure out how to fit it into the bulkhead in the reservoir...then I have to work out the timers.

Best scenario: 2 runs with the present setup (winter to mid summer), then use the hot months to rebuild and configure. If I rebuild now, I might have to grow into the hottest months.

If they stay under 3feet, I should be able to pull it off with 12 inches to the light.

Re the bucket size, I should stick with the 5 gal so that I can still grow photos and clones if I like. Better to have extra root space than not enough.

I use a condensate pump for my runoff. A little more expensive but works great. Might be worth looking into. It sits under the plants and pumps into a bucket outside the tent
Screenshot_20240103-175331.png

Also, have you tried LST or using a net to keep the plants shorter?

Back