Help!! Airy Buds

Tbh, I've told her thy will still be very smokeable & it's her first time, so not to worry.
We grow it for medicine (she's a recovering heroine addict) & she can't afford to buy it.
Besides, it's illegal here, so it's hard to find decent bud sometimes.
I think she's gonna be chuffed with what you grow and I wish her lots of luck with her recovery :bighug:

We've all seen way too much PGR weed, and conditioned ourselves to think thats what normal looks like.

Those photos aren’t airy buds they’re buds that are packing on weight. Show us another pic in 2 more weeks and I bet she’ll be singing a different tune

They're not airy buds. To me airy = LARF and I hate LARF but I can use it for extraction.

These look like they're not stacking as much as the grower might like. The only time I have this happen is when I simply don't open my canopy wide enough to get better light penetration. This "happened" on my most current grow which was my experiment of being a lot more hands off. I did pretty much no canopy opening, lower stripping and such. YMMV.

Very true bill I forgot that one. Although when giving the buds to someone else they think they are less quality.
I show and tell others wanting hard(er) buds to simply hand compress them and they very rarely see any difference vs. the buds growing that way. If selling to hard bud biased users, consider compressing the buds before they fully dry.

Regarding lack of hardness, being airy = LARF, I think most use the the term 'hard buds' to refer to fully mature buds (not lower or otherwise less mature buds), which constitute the great majority of buds. Many, if not most, growers clean up their plants, remove any developing LARF, and simply don't have any at harvest time.

Last edited:
A generic or even stupid question: What's wrong with airy buds?

From what I've seen, airy buds are just as good or better as hard buds, and I get the same weight. [Am I an exception/outlier?] Being airy just means that the buds' individual sepals haven't stuck/gunked together, congealed. Theoretically, airy buds should be more potent -- they present a lot more air- and light-exposed surface area, which can only be good. And dense/hard buds are more prone to mold/fungal infestation.
And airy buds are easier to roll doobies out of.

Many, if not most, growers clean up their plants, remove any developing LARF, and simply don't have any at harvest time.

Eh, not to be disagreeable. But I know a LOT of well "experienced" folks who will not even remove a leaf. They are either paranoid. Or they insist that is not the way that nature intends.

Now, nature also doesn't really happen in a "climate controlled" tent, with perfect nutrition and lights. Much less coco or hydro. But they all seem to draw the line at defoliation/fruit thinning and stripping for whatever fucking reason.

Back