How close is too close for the light

Reaction score
I am growing 2 autos (white widow and Gorilla glue) in my 32”x32”x64” with a Phlizon Cree Cob 1000w, and today I noticed the GG had stretched at least 3” since yesterday and was actually touching the light today. It has just started to flower in the last couple of days and it looks like it actually burned a couple of the leaves where it touched the led’s. I was able to raise the light so that it is now about 10” above the tops, but this is absolutely the highest I can get the light now. The WW seems unaffected and is continuing on beautifully and is loaded with some beautiful flowers and should not stretch anymore.
The directions for the light say that it should be 24-30” at this stage and that is just not possible. My question is this going to cause any issues? Is there anything else I can do or is 10” far enough away?

I am growing 2 autos (white widow and Gorilla glue) in my 32”x32”x64” with a Phlizon Cree Cob 1000w, and today I noticed the GG had stretched at least 3” since yesterday and was actually touching the light today. It has just started to flower in the last couple of days and it looks like it actually burned a couple of the leaves where it touched the led’s. I was able to raise the light so that it is now about 10” above the tops, but this is absolutely the highest I can get the light now. The WW seems unaffected and is continuing on beautifully and is loaded with some beautiful flowers and should not stretch anymore.
The directions for the light say that it should be 24-30” at this stage and that is just not possible. My question is this going to cause any issues? Is there anything else I can do or is 10” far enough away?
Pictures would help. If it is just the main colas that are the problem, super cropping can get them lower.

Hard to say how your plants will react to being 10" rather than 24. A lot depends on the light design. Some cobs have lenses that result in a pretty narrow beam, so it is possible that being too close to them will damage the upper canopy. Given that you have little choice in the matter, I would just keep on trucking, and if you burn a few tops, you will still make some bud. Good luck with it. :pighug:

You could very gently pull the top over a bit and tie it down. You have to be careful because the stems become stiff during flowering and will snap.
I had to do it once and then started training the next plants when very young so they would not grow so high.
There is Low Stress Training, Super Cropping, and Topping. All of them involve tying the plants branches to form a lower bush.
There are threads on Super Cropping and Topping on this forum.

This is my first grow, so I am still learning. I thought a 64” high tent would be high enough but apparently not. I will certainly have to learn and try LST on the next grow. This picture is from 2 days ago and the bottom of the light is actually right at the top of the picture so you can see how much the GG on the left stretched in 2 days. Fortunately the WW seems to be at maximum height and is budding fine although I have noticed that the buds lower down seem to be maturing better than the top by a little.

713E0D30-E220-4E11-9040-F73F0318091A.jpeg

This is my first grow, so I am still learning. I thought a 64” high tent would be high enough but apparently not. I will certainly have to learn and try LST on the next grow. This picture is from 2 days ago and the bottom of the light is actually right at the top of the picture so you can see how much the GG on the left stretched in 2 days. Fortunately the WW seems to be at maximum height and is budding fine although I have noticed that the buds lower down seem to be maturing better than the top by a little.

View attachment 1344609
Do not feel bad, everyone has to learn this the hard way (except outdoor growers). I'll bet the plant on the left will stretch some more.

View attachment 1344609
if she keeps growing up you may be forced to supercrop her also i love your pic im a huge german shepherd lover

Back