Grow Mediums Is third time the charm or will this be another AutoPot failure?

:pop:

I'm curious was that with the new aquavalve5? I just started my first run with AP's and you got me a little worried now but i will be using the 2-part.
I have used the original valves for everything from single 3 gallon pots to two >100 liter totes, and have yet to have a valve plug up. IMO, if you stay away from organics in your res, and use better filtration than the standard stuff from Autopots, there is next to zero risk of plugging.

For filtration, I mount standard household pleated filter elements inside the reservoir. Lots of ways to do that, just make sure that no liquid can leave the reservoir without going through the filter.

Bottom line to me is that the new valves are no disadvantage, but at least with my setup, no advantage either.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

Thanks for the rep @Daledenton84, much appreciated. Tag me any time if you think I might be able to help out.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, all I have ever done is give the res a stir with a stick once every day or two, and not even that when doing my outdoor mischief. The last snow pea and kale grow on the deck was from a rez that did not get stirred once all summer. It fed two >100 liter totes full of soil, did it through a single autovalve, and had nary a hint of a plug during the whole grow.

Set up good filtration and stay away from organics in the res, and you are extremely unlikely to have issues with autovalves or their feed lines. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Just an update on my current grow, CDLC is in her dark period & I plan to chop her tomorrow. Temp in the tent is a steady 65F.& humidity is running between 52 - 58%. I got the new humid-stat set at 55%, up from 40% during grow time. After reading up on drying a little more, I've decided to set humidity at 60 -- instead of the planned 70%. The 3 girls in 2 pots in my other grow space are fox-tailing like crazy! I tried to angle 2 lights with reduced power, but created a heat issue. At least that's my guess, because I couldn't find my IR thermometer to check. They have been on reduced feed for over a week, giving just 2, (from 5 ml), per gallon. Anyways, grow & learn, but try not to make the same mistake twice! Here's some pics ... 1 - 3 are Cash Crop Auto & 4 - 6 are Auto Gorilla Glue. Thanks for stopping by & happy growing! :peace: :pass:

IMG_20220217_152837.jpg

IMG_20220217_152857.jpg

IMG_20220217_152914.jpg

IMG_20220217_152942.jpg

IMG_20220217_153012.jpg

IMG_20220217_153028.jpg

Just an update on my current grow, CDLC is in her dark period & I plan to chop her tomorrow. Temp in the tent is a steady 65F.& humidity is running between 52 - 58%. I got the new humid-stat set at 55%, up from 40% during grow time. After reading up on drying a little more, I've decided to set humidity at 60 -- instead of the planned 70%. The 3 girls in 2 pots in my other grow space are fox-tailing like crazy! I tried to angle 2 lights with reduced power, but created a heat issue. At least that's my guess, because I couldn't find my IR thermometer to check. They have been on reduced feed for over a week, giving just 2, (from 5 ml), per gallon. Anyways, grow & learn, but try not to make the same mistake twice! Here's some pics ... 1 - 3 are Cash Crop Auto & 4 - 6 are Auto Gorilla Glue. Thanks for stopping by & happy growing! :peace: :pass:

View attachment 1421420
View attachment 1421421
View attachment 1421422
View attachment 1421423
View attachment 1421424
View attachment 1421425

Btw, I forgot to mention that after tonight's feeding I'm going to start flushing with H20 & Terpinator! :pass:

Here's an update on the CDLC. She has been chopped & split into smaller sections for drying. She was only 18in tall, but 2ft across with several greasy colas! The gassy smell is super strong this time & by far, she's got the biggest buds that I've ever grown. I did grow a plant that had a single bud, (hand grenade diesel), around the same size several yrs ago. Humidity is holding between 57 - 62, with temps at 65F. Here's some pics & thanks for stopping by! :pass:

IMG_20220219_130009.jpg

IMG_20220219_130025.jpg

IMG_20220219_130036.jpg

I've been preparing for my next Auto-pot run. Like I mentioned earlier, I've misplaced some of the foamy things for the air domes --- so I'm going to use air stones instead. I like the ideal that when the pots are soaking, there's an air stone laying right at the bottom of the pot, (The foam things set a little above the bottom). I wasn't satisfied with the amount of air the girls got last time, so I'm getting rid of the check valves and moving the pump off the floor. I was planning on using just enough perlite to cover the domes & I tried that last time, but it's so hard to pile the perlite on without it falling to the bottom of the pot. I smoked some sativa & low & behold I got the ideal to place the domes in old socks. I used old socks in coco before, --- in plastics pots to stop up the drain holes to help combat/prevent gnats. I saw no negative effects & the upside is it will allow me to get my coco/perlite mix all the way to the bottom of the pot, (so it can suck up the water/nutrients easier). I know there's a fancy grow word for that, I just can't think of it. :shrug: As far as the medium, I've got Cultivation Nation by Fox Farms & I also got some Coco Loco to mix in, (10%). My last run in coco, (but not autopots). I mixed it 50/50 with the bottom 1/2 of the 5 gallon pot, with CN in the top half. I worried about ph the whole grow, but kept it around 6.2 and the girls did fantastic. I ordered some Recharge, but i't's not going to get here in time. But I still got enough Great White to get things started. I'm getting ready to smoke a little more & finish potting up. The plan is to bubble 5 gallons of water, add cal/mag & light nutes & water them in tomorrow. I'll be dropping seeds to soak tomorrow, if everything goes as planned! As always, questions comments, rants & raves are welcomed & encouraged! Thanks for stopping by & happy growing! :pass:

Change of plans! I just dropped 5 seeds! Purple Nuggets, Grape Walker Kush, Grape Crinkle & 2x Creme da la Chem. Instead of planting in final pots, I've got some small coco pots that I'm going to use instead. But first I'm going to drill some small holes in the pots just to make sure that the roots have plenty of space to expand when moved to final pot. I have a tray & dome I can use until I can ramp up the humidity in my grow space. If all 5 seeds germinate successfully, I'm going to plant 1 of the CDLCs in a 5 ga pot & run her in the new grow tent. I hadn't decided how I would divide the lighting up yet, but I have 5 extra autocobs i can use. For now I have the seeds soaking in phd water in tiny cups placed in an old cool whip bowl, with cover. I have it inside another bowl, placed on top of a heat mat in my oven, (no baking for the next 24 hrs). :nono: Anyways, smoking one & sending good vibes for perfect germination! :pass::vibes:

After 24 hours of soaking, all strains are now in the coco seedling pots. I don't have much faith on one of the CDLCs, it sunk to the bottom right away & only looked a little swelled at planting. All the other girls were showing a little tail. :dancer: (Dirty mind - what can I say!) I put them back in the oven on the germ mat & I'm going to leave them in darkness for 24 hours & make a decision from there. Germinating in the oven takes me back to my younger years, when I use to take all my bag seed & germ in paper towels. It didn't take much moisture as the oven was in the basement next to the room where I lived as a teen, (I called it the cave back then, cause it had a hanging bed & it flooded sometimes, lol). :help: I never did get much done after germination though, (had a couple lucky years). Anyways, just wanted to update & post a pic, (you really can't see nothing). Thanks for stopping by happy growing! :greenthumb::peace::pass:

IMG_20220222_211717.jpg

Back