Light stress? Razor blade edges, dry thin, slowly losing color

To throw in more confusion here is a picture of the 2nd plant,
she pulled through much slower compared to the other plant but she did and new growth always came out healthy green,
but the razor blading on this one is extreme to the point she is going taco and starting to wilt.
There are some stories about razor blades from roots being too wet, but this is in coco and I have been making sure for the past 3 weeks that I let it dry out a little so the roots have time to grow.

Attachments

• IMG_20230106_162440.jpg
    IMG_20230106_162440.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
I'm a bit in a weird situation,
I was unable to even get to this stage for a long time, I was following recommended intensity for the light, like most people.
The light is a TSW2000, 300 watts, currently only on 20% about 40inch distance
I never attempted to lower the intensity until now as a last resort, and weirdly enough the plant started growing but razor blades started to show,
I lowered the intensity even more to what its at now and the razor blades went away,
now that the plant is growing taller the razor blades are starting to show on the top leaves again,
which is extremely confusing considering its only using 60 watts...

As for nutrients I am using masterblend where I'm pretty confident about the correct ratios,
But possibly the root were not established enough because of the problems and some stuff is going on there.
Although I have started to see roots show at the bottom, hopefully she just need some time as I don't see what else I could change at this point.
But then again that doesn't change the light mystery lmao, (made in china I guess?)
Im guessing lowering the light intensity was a little misleading when the edges of the leaves started to flatten out, most of the time that is caused by light and heat stress, but in your situation its most likely neither.

At the beginning of this thread, your tenps and humidity are in a decent range, if they are still there its definitely not heat stress.

Definitely not light stress either. Something isnt right. Its probably not pests either but some pest species can cause the edges of leaves to do that too. You havent said anything about insects so I doubt it.

That tsw2000 should be just fine, lots of people use the tsw1000 and have good results. Most mars hydro lights are pretty good.

Im guessing lowering the light intensity was a little misleading when the edges of the leaves started to flatten out, most of the time that is caused by light and heat stress, but in your situation its most likely neither.

At the beginning of this thread, your tenps and humidity are in a decent range, if they are still there its definitely not heat stress.

Definitely not light stress either. Something isnt right. Its probably not pests either but some pest species can cause the edges of leaves to do that too. You havent said anything about insects so I doubt it.

That tsw2000 should be just fine, lots of people use the tsw1000 and have good results. Most mars hydro lights are pretty good.

Originally before I made this post my light was definitely the problem, 100s of tries I never got this far in growing lol

And yeah the temps are around 23, humidity 60-65, no strong wind, no pests.
After endless searching about it online I came across a couple posts about it being related to excess nutrients, or need for magnesium.
99% about wind/heat/light but I don't think its any of those.

I can try another epson salt foliar and see if it helps,
as for excess nutrients, I'm only feeding 1.1ec but she did start to uptake alot of nutrients, I did see 2 leaves with nitrogen toxicity.
I also saw 1 leaf with transparent tissue lol.

Originally before I made this post my light was definitely the problem, 100s of tries I never got this far in growing lol

And yeah the temps are around 23, humidity 60-65, no strong wind, no pests.
After endless searching about it online I came across a couple posts about it being related to excess nutrients, or need for magnesium.
99% about wind/heat/light but I don't think its any of those.

I can try another epson salt foliar and see if it helps,
as for excess nutrients, I'm only feeding 1.1ec but she did start to uptake alot of nutrients, I did see 2 leaves with nitrogen toxicity.
I also saw 1 leaf with transparent tissue lol.
They are showing signs of interveinal chlorosis so it could definitely be a magnesium related issue. But the leaf edges are the strangest thing to me. Especially because it doesnt seem to be anything other than the very edges of the leaves. I see a couple burnt tips but thats not that big of a deal. Most of the surface of your leaves look like the color would return once everything gets under control.

My only real thought is an imbalance of light and nutrients. I would really try and double that dli. Maybe keep the light where it is just bump up the dimmer a bit.

Maybe also try and keep your humidity a little lower. Mine seem to be thriving when my temps are where yours are but the humidity a little lower like in the 50% range. Being unfamiliar with any kind of hydroponics I cant give much more than environmental help.

But most issues will take at the very least a week to start showing signs of improvement. So its a balancing act. I do however think you're plant will start showing improvement if you give it more light.

Its an auto right? So if you wanna play it real safe you could just increase the amount of time your lights are on. Sorry I forgot what your post said. But if you give your plant the standard bare min 200 umol/second at 20 hours a day it will be getting roughly 16dli. It may show signs of stress at first getting used to the intensity but if you wait it out it might drastically improve.

The only thing I can really find is this as far as articles go. But its just the basic light/heat/overwatering stress.

Last edited:
They are showing signs of interveinal chlorosis so it could definitely be a magnesium related issue. But the leaf edges are the strangest thing to me. Especially because it doesnt seem to be anything other than the very edges of the leaves. I see a couple burnt tips but thats not that big of a deal. Most of the surface of your leaves look like the color would return once everything gets under control.

My only real thought is an imbalance of light and nutrients. I would really try and double that dli. Maybe keep the light where it is just bump up the dimmer a bit.

Maybe also try and keep your humidity a little lower. Mine seem to be thriving when my temps are where yours are but the humidity a little lower like in the 50% range. Being unfamiliar with any kind of hydroponics I cant give much more than environmental help.

But most issues will take at the very least a week to start showing signs of improvement. So its a balancing act. I do however think you're plant will start showing improvement if you give it more light.

Its an auto right? So if you wanna play it real safe you could just increase the amount of time your lights are on. Sorry I forgot what your post said. But if you give your plant the standard bare min 200 umol/second at 20 hours a day it will be getting roughly 16dli. It may show signs of stress at first getting used to the intensity but if you wait it out it might drastically improve.

The only thing I can really find is this as far as articles go. But its just the basic light/heat/overwatering stress.
The interval chlorosis you see I would get 10 times worse before I raised and dimmed the light,
to the point the plants wilt and stop growing. I have probably over 500 seedling attempts...
Never had any bud :(

These are photoperiod and been stunted for a while before I started this post,
only after I raised the light and I saw it growing again I had the courage to make this post,
because otherwise it was just gonna be another dead seedling, I have looked for help 2 years ago and no one was able to find the solution.
Tried every medium, every nutrient brand, I did everything correctly but nothing would grow.
But I never thought about trying to raise the light far from recommended intensity until this grow.

Now with that said, maybe the roots were never able to establish and maybe that's happening right now and I need to give it time.
I'm atleast going to try epson foliar tomorrow and see if that helps the razor blades.
I see razor blades more extreme on some leaves than others even some that are getting no direct light so must be nutrient related.
I can try to lower RH a but its honestly always around 60% so chances are small the problem is there.

Also the razor blades started showing pretty heavily all out of nowhere today, I didn't do or change anything,
but as I'm letting the coco dry a bit for the roots to grow, I can say it was the 3rd day since last watering and maybe therefor magnesium shortage?

Honestly idk, I can keep talking about it for weeks, feels like I'm writing a novel over here.

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_012859.jpg
    IMG_20230107_012859.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
The interval chlorosis you see I would get 10 times worse before I raised and dimmed the light,
to the point the plants wilt and stop growing. I have probably over 500 seedling attempts...
Never had any bud :(

These are photoperiod and been stunted for a while before I started this post,
only after I raised the light and I saw it growing again I had the courage to make this post,
because otherwise it was just gonna be another dead seedling, I have looked for help 2 years ago and no one was able to find the solution.
Tried every medium, every nutrient brand, I did everything correctly but nothing would grow.
But I never thought about trying to raise the light far from recommended intensity until this grow.

Now with that said, maybe the roots were never able to establish and maybe that's happening right now and I need to give it time.
I'm atleast going to try epson foliar tomorrow and see if that helps the razor blades.
I see razor blades more extreme on some leaves than others even some that are getting no direct light so must be nutrient related.
I can try to lower RH a but its honestly always around 60% so chances are small the problem is there.

Also the razor blades started showing pretty heavily all out of nowhere today, I didn't do or change anything,
but as I'm letting the coco dry a bit for the roots to grow, I can say it was the 3rd day since last watering and maybe therefor magnesium shortage?

Honestly idk, I can keep talking about it for weeks, feels like I'm writing a novel over here.
That would be horribly discouraging for me so props on keeping with it.

Root problems are definitely a cause. When you germinate seeds how often do you water? Lots of people do have problems with watering early on. So its possible you may have over/under watered and stunted the roots early on.

When I germ, I germ in the pot its gonna finish in. I dont like over complicating it or moving a germed seed around too much. Obviously photos are much more forgiving but as a seedling less is definitely more. I only give about 1 cup of water after I place my seed and I mist the surface when it dries out. Usually thats daily cuz my house is rather dry. Once it comes up through the soil I will only water around the plant. Only a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water until my 3rd-4th node develop. Then I will saturate an entire 5 gallon pot with 1 gallon of water. Also when I prep my pots I do not compact my soil at all. I fill my pots and tap the pot on the ground a few times to settle stuff and thats it.

If you think its root related, try letting your pots completely dry out and give it a really slow top watering. Id say some myco might help but Idk if anything you run is organic but it still might help stimulate root growth.

That would be horribly discouraging for me so props on keeping with it.

Root problems are definitely a cause. When you germinate seeds how often do you water? Lots of people do have problems with watering early on. So its possible you may have over/under watered and stunted the roots early on.

When I germ, I germ in the pot its gonna finish in. I dont like over complicating it or moving a germed seed around too much. Obviously photos are much more forgiving but as a seedling less is definitely more. I only give about 1 cup of water after I place my seed and I mist the surface when it dries out. Usually thats daily cuz my house is rather dry. Once it comes up through the soil I will only water around the plant. Only a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water until my 3rd-4th node develop. Then I will saturate an entire 5 gallon pot with 1 gallon of water. Also when I prep my pots I do not compact my soil at all. I fill my pots and tap the pot on the ground a few times to settle stuff and thats it.

If you think its root related, try letting your pots completely dry out and give it a really slow top watering. Id say some myco might help but Idk if anything you run is organic but it still might help stimulate root growth.

Yeah it is extremely discouraging I'm honestly mentally broken, I put so much money into seeds and nutrients.

I have tried every sort of watering possible, in every quantity, in every possible kind of pot you can find on the market lol
But yes the roots wer always poor however I'm pretty sure this was due the light just burning the seedling down, I have tried more light but never this little, the only way I had healthy seedling was in a humidity dome, and since I have tried all sorts of humidity %s, I think this was because of the dome blocking some of the light intensity.

I have seem some roots show at the bottom so I guess they are growing now.
I do let it dry out for about 3 days since I made this post and then water slowly.
Masterblend is not organic but I did use myco.

Honestly I've never seen sidenodes grow, I had no idea what healthy leaves felt like and never seen roots reach the bottom.
So this "problem" is a huge improvement for me, it almost makes me smile.

Yeah it is extremely discouraging I'm honestly mentally broken, I put so much money into seeds and nutrients.

I have tried every sort of watering possible, in every quantity, in every possible kind of pot you can find on the market lol
But yes the roots wer always poor however I'm pretty sure this was due the light just burning the seedling down, I have tried more light but never this little, the only way I had healthy seedling was in a humidity dome, and since I have tried all sorts of humidity %s, I think this was because of the dome blocking some of the light intensity.

I have seem some roots show at the bottom so I guess they are growing now.
I do let it dry out for about 3 days since I made this post and then water slowly.
Masterblend is not organic but I did use myco.

Honestly I've never seen sidenodes grow, I had no idea what healthy leaves felt like and never seen roots reach the bottom.
So this "problem" is a huge improvement for me, it almost makes me smile.
Well I commend you.

Idk what to do to help with your current grow, and I dont want yo discourage you to use what you have but in my honest opinion fabric pots and soil is by far the easiest method.

Im a big fan of photos have been growing on and off.....well mainly off for 15ish years, but used to have all sorts of problems. But when I got my rain science bags and got a better understanding of peat based soil growing its by far easiest in all aspects of growing. Im basically a newbie and my current grow is above and beyond anything I could have expect jumping back in after so long.

Im not the best journalist but Ill link my grow. I really just keep my light levels in the right ball park. Water when my pots are really light and feed according to the directions of the fox farm line and Ive had no problems other than a small colony of fungus gnats early on.

I know its no help now, but maybe just to get you to a harvest going the easiest route could get you there and Id definitely be willing to come along and help from day one with you, Im always on here. After all this grow will be my first harvest in years and on here.

Last edited:
Well I commend you.

Idk what to do to help with your current grow, and I dont want yo discourage you to use what you have but in my honest opinion fabric pots and soil is by far the easiest method.

Im a big fan of photos have been growing on and off.....well mainly off for 15ish years, but used to have all sorts of problems. But when I got my rain science bags and got a better understanding of peat based soil growing its by far easiest in all aspects of growing. Im basically a newbie and my current grow is above and beyond anything I could have expect jumping back in after so long.

Im not the best journalist but Ill link my grow. I really just keep my light levels in the right ball park. Water when my pots are really light and feed according to the directions of the fox farm line and Ive had no problems other than a small colony of fungus gnats early on.

I tried every brand of soil, watered in every way, circles, squares, triangles, misting, syringe, droplets, you name it I tried it haha...
Thought there was something bad in the water, got an RO system, but nope that was not it.

Often I would get autoflowers because I would really like to have something to smoke asap...
Glad I took photos this time so they are able to recover, hopefully.

But even then, I still don't understand why the light was a problem as I was using recommended settings, used by many growers.

One thing I didn't buy yet is a co2 meter, maybe I should try that,
is it even scientifically possible there is too little co2 in the tent for a plant to grow? lol

I tried every brand of soil, watered in every way, circles, squares, triangles, misting, syringe, droplets, you name it I tried it haha...
Thought there was something bad in the water, got an RO system, but nope that was not it.

Often I would get autoflowers because I would really like to have something to smoke asap...
Glad I took photos this time so they are able to recover, hopefully.

But even then, I still don't understand why the light was a problem as I was using recommended settings, used by many growers.

One thing I didn't buy yet is a co2 meter, maybe I should try that,
is it even scientifically possible there is too little co2 in the tent for a plant to grow? lol
I was thinking that too. And its possible I guess. You can buy some cheap ambient co2 sensors on amazon. I doubt thats it though, the average ambient levels are around 300-400ppm which is plenty for a small garden. You could try and boost levels, it wouldnt hurt. Just make sure you get a fresh air exchange going into your room.

Back