Light stress? Razor blade edges, dry thin, slowly losing color

Jaydot

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Hello once again : )

I have been facing several growing issues in the past which lead me to my current problem,
which is surprisingly my best attempt at growing so far...
Several people tried to help me in the past not understanding where my issues came from.
I tried several grow mediums, nutrient brands, ph meters, you name it I've tried it.

Every seedling used to die off slowly, wilting, drooping, showing every kind of deficiency and barely growing roots.
I started to think there was something circulating in the air or the water police contaminated my water source.

This attempt after the seedling started discolor once again I noticed the leaf tissue covered by another leaf was looking alot better compared to the tissue getting light.

So I raised the light and dimmed it, which is no where near any recommended setting,
I never thought about trying this because after seeing so many grows I never seen anyone with the same light do this,
It's a Mars TSW2000 so you will find a ton of people with the same light.

From the 300 watts only 25% is used currently, raised about 90cm getting the plant only 10 dli.
She started to grow again, the wilting stopped and no more drooping,

However, the leaves started to actually look like they were getting too much light after this adjustment...

The leaves slowly get thin and dry by the touch
The green color starts to fade from the outside in, end up with green veins as you can see in the pictures.
Leaf edges slowly start to razor blade. (temps are between 20 - 25c, RH 60%, no strong wind directly on the leaves)
Just a few brown dots start to show on the leaves. (no bugs)
There is little stretching between nodes (however the strain is bushy)
+ leaves don't really ever droop, they stay up at night, only a little bit after watering

Now I'm open to ideas as I find it hard to believe the problem is too much light considering how little light there currently is.
(already tried calmag foliar last week :p)

Extra info:

Bubba island kush - dutch passion
TSW2000
masterblend (2-2-1.2) + silica
transplanted from solocup into 4L pot (roots wer healthy)
coco perlite, feeding once a day, 1ec, ro water, ph between 5.8 - 6.2,
10% run off slightly higher ec, no buildup
humidity controlled with inkbird, ph meter bluelabs recalibrated every month.
circulating box fan, fresh air coming in, no tent pressure
bubbled ro water

Attachments

• IMG_20221215_160145.jpg
    IMG_20221215_160145.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20221215_160705.jpg
    IMG_20221215_160705.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20221215_160728.jpg
    IMG_20221215_160728.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20221215_160810.jpg
    IMG_20221215_160810.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
I'm not the expert you need to hear from, but I don't think too much light is your problem. At that stage, that plant should be happy with several times more light than it is getting.

I think the plant is shy of magnesium given the inveinal cholorosis, but have no idea why the fans are curling up. Normally, that would indicate excess heat or low RH, or arguably, too much light, but there is no way that too much light is the problem. Do you have other thermohygrometers to check the RH in the tent? Is it possible that the inkbird is keeping the RH lower than you think?

Good luck with it, I will be interested in others' comments. :pighug: :goodluck:

I don't think too much light is your problem
:yeahthat:
Also, I recommend posting in the Infirmary for quicker and more complete responses. Make sure you include:

Problem:

Medium/grow method:

Feed: and supplements used:

water source:

Strain/age:

light used:

Climate:

Additional info:

I'm not the expert you need to hear from, but I don't think too much light is your problem. At that stage, that plant should be happy with several times more light than it is getting.

I think the plant is shy of magnesium given the inveinal cholorosis, but have no idea why the fans are curling up. Normally, that would indicate excess heat or low RH, or arguably, too much light, but there is no way that too much light is the problem. Do you have other thermohygrometers to check the RH in the tent? Is it possible that the inkbird is keeping the RH lower than you think?

Good luck with it, I will be interested in others' comments. :pighug: :goodluck:

Yup I had a few cheaper ones before and then got the inkbird just to make sure but they are all showing the same,
I've been trying for a few years now and this is the best try so far, only after turning down the light by so much.
So I think after trying to fix every deficiency in the past it could have been the light that was the main problem.
Now I only changed the light a good week ago, maybe I need to give it some time

:yeahthat:
Also, I recommend posting in the Infirmary for quicker and more complete responses. Make sure you include:

Problem:

Medium/grow method:

Feed: and supplements used:

water source:

Strain/age:

light used:

Climate:

Additional info:

I'm pretty confident this is posted in the Infirmary no?
See I have no plants to smoke I'm not that high :D

Hey there - just a quickie, is there any fans directly pointing at the plant? it could be as simple as that (alongside he mag def)

Hey there - just a quickie, is there any fans directly pointing at the plant? it could be as simple as that (alongside he mag def)
Nope, the only air touching the plant is bouncing off the walls,
The weird thing is the razor blades started only after I raised and dimmed the light but besides that nothing changed.
Before the adjustment I could honestly not even get into veg, after the 3rd node it would start wilting and stop growing.
Which also happened with this plant till I raised the light and it started growing again.

I can try to give another epson salt foliar and see if it changed anything

I can try to give another epson salt foliar and see if it changed anything
I have never tried that so wouldn't want to comment - I am sure someone will pop in to teh infirmary and get to teh root of it.

Hello :pass:
This look to me as a root issue. Root issues can cause problem in nutrient uptake
Write us some infos about waterings - fertilisation.
Like:
How much do you water your plants.
How many times.
Do you noticed a slower or faster drinking by the plant?
Ph water in - out ?
Ppm?

not an expert but.. giving the plants less light means a slower photosynthesis. Maybe the problem isn’t solved but it s just slowed.

ps. Sometimes happens that if the pot is placed directly on the ground, and the ground is very cold, plant could develop problems on roots caused by the excessive coldness.
Also the lower part of the soil may have been soaked for too much time.. giving 0 oxygen to lower roots, cause root problems.

Last edited:
Back