No pollen yet - howcum?

Tried 6 of my seeds from the reversal that I started this thread with. 6/6 germinated. :biggrin: Pics once they get their heads up.

A couple questions for those with experience.

1. I reversed an auto that I grew from regular auto seeds from a cross I did last year. Had to wait until sex was determined since they were grown from regular seeds. Sprayed with STS three times five days apart. Pollen sacs are developing. Do I continue to spray or once I see sacs starting to develop do I stop spraying STS and wait until pollen sacs are fully developed?

2. I have an unopened bottle of CS at 240ppm. Do I dilute with distilled water to a lower ppm concentration such as 50ppm or use full strength? I've seen people post that they use CS at 50ppm and others mention using 240ppm at full strength.

1. I reversed an auto that I grew from regular auto seeds from a cross I did last year. Had to wait until sex was determined since they were grown from regular seeds. Sprayed with STS three times five days apart. Pollen sacs are developing. Do I continue to spray or once I see sacs starting to develop do I stop spraying STS and wait until pollen sacs are fully developed?

2. I have an unopened bottle of CS at 240ppm. Do I dilute with distilled water to a lower ppm concentration such as 50ppm or use full strength? I've seen people post that they use CS at 50ppm and others mention using 240ppm at full strength.

Haven't used sts, so I am no help there. Also haven't, and wouldn't, use purchased CS, so I can't provide experience there. Having said that, I would not dilute unless someone else has done so successfully with the same product. The PPM ratings provided by suppliers seem fictional to me. It is my understanding that colloidal silver maxes out at something like 30-50ppm (I can't recall the exact figure), so claims of higher ppm are misleading. If they are accurate, the figure includes non-colloidal particles, not just the colloidal ones. Above whatever the maximum concentration is, colloidal particles fuse into larger particles that do not have the same affect on plants, or at least that is my understanding. At best, your purchased stuff has the maximum PPM that colloidal can persist at, and if you dilute it, you risk the colloidal concentration ending up too low no matter what the label says. I suggest that next time, think about making your own. You can have liters of fresh solution for a fraction of the price of the prepared stuff.

4/6 now above ground. 2 germinated but seem to have stalled a bit with a short root, but I put them in the dirt tonight anyway. If they don't perk up, I will replace them. Pics later. :biggrin:

I would spray STS 1 or 2 more times.
I'm a little confused why are you using C/S if you have STS.

I would spray STS 1 or 2 more times.
I'm a little confused why are you using C/S if you have STS.
I haven't opened or used the CS. I bought it during the lock down to experiment with, then saw posts about STS being more effective here so I bought an 8 ounce bottle of it to try first.

I have about 8 strains of Fastbuds but prices have really gone up at the seedbank I usually used and figured I would attempt to make seeds from those strains and do so crosses.

Last year I just grew some regular auto seeds and used some males to get seeds from a Fastbuds White Widow crossed with a regular Northern Lights auto.

This year I figured I would give flipping a try on some Fastbuds strains to get feminized seeds of my favorite Fastbuds strains and do some crosses. I had so many issues with getting one strain to germinate and after managing to get two seeds out of 8 to grow I figured it was the only chance I would get on that one strain to get hundreds of seeds. That is the reason I went with STS as people mentioned its success rate.

I haven't opened or used the CS. I bought it during the lock down to experiment with, then saw posts about STS being more effective here so I bought an 8 ounce bottle of it to try first.

I have about 8 strains of Fastbuds but prices have really gone up at the seedbank I usually used and figured I would attempt to make seeds from those strains and do so crosses.

Last year I just grew some regular auto seeds and used some males to get seeds from a Fastbuds White Widow crossed with a regular Northern Lights auto.

This year I figured I would give flipping a try on some Fastbuds strains to get feminized seeds of my favorite Fastbuds strains and do some crosses. I had so many issues with getting one strain to germinate and after managing to get two seeds out of 8 to grow I figured it was the only chance I would get on that one strain to get hundreds of seeds. That is the reason I went with STS as people mentioned its success rate.
I used both and STS is far superior to C/S and less work.
The seed you were having trouble with germination, if after 2 or 3 days you see no signs you can crack them in your teeth or buy or make a seed cracker.
After I made a seed cracker I thought about a pair of vise grip pliers ,you can adjust the opening just enough to crack the seed without damaging the plant inside
I had a problem with Bubba Kush auto seeds germinating I thought they were bad seeds, then I saw a video where a guy explained that some strains have very hard shells so you can scuff them with sandpaper, soak them or crack the shell to give the plant inside a little help.
good luck with making seeds.
I'm sorry to tell you that seed making is more addictive than any drug out there, so your in for the long haul now but it's fun to make your own strains! :yay:

I used a 240 ppm CS spray. It was so strong it was deforming the leaves really bad. After about 3 or 4 applications I diluted it in half. I kept spray almost too long, until some of the sacs started opening.

I ended up with a lot of pollen. I think I could have stopped spraying earlier, more like after there are sacks forming. That's what I will do next time.

Hope this helps!:pass: :cheers: :baked:

I sprayed as my autoflower was flowering...and success on the branch i segregated. but there is a problem......
Been pushing out banana-like sacs for 3 1/2 weeks now... tons just falling down to the floor as fast as they are popping out. No pollen to be found......
I've crushed up a bunch of the fallen sacs and spread that over the female flowers, but I don't think that is going to work. Anyone got some words of advice?
20210707_220439.jpg

I sprayed as my autoflower was flowering...and success on the branch i segregated. but there is a problem......
Been pushing out banana-like sacs for 3 1/2 weeks now... tons just falling down to the floor as fast as they are popping out. No pollen to be found......
I've crushed up a bunch of the fallen sacs and spread that over the female flowers, but I don't think that is going to work. Anyone got some words of advice?View attachment 1340556
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks to me that you have lots of normally shaped balls on the plant. Maybe the bananas don't produce, but mature balls will. If I were you, I would let the balls mature until many open on their own, and then try collecting them, drying them thoroughly (this requires desiccant), and then grind them up and sieve the ground balls before using the result on flowers. The balls, in my limited experience, do not fall off like the bananas are doing.

Unfortunately, if your intent was to self the same plant, the balls may not mature until you have few viable flowers left, but that is the nature of selfing. I prefer to collect pollen from one plant, and apply it to another plant germinated a couple weeks later to help with timing.

On my recent seed run, the balls produced very little pollen, and the modest amount produced showed up late in the maturation process. But it is excellent pollen and has produced good seeds in spite of that.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

Back