Lighting Off the Shelf Screw in LED Bulbs as a Viable Alternative

yeah i'd definitely clean up that silicone and glass shards @wwwillie as myself i know i'd me making sacrifices to the blood god with those lol, Looking good and love the content and discussion.

And for all here do you think this is the right place for this thread or should we get it moved to the main lighting section for better coverage so people know that this is an option if they want to go this route ?

I've used a Few w the plastic bulb hacked in half in my chop saw to create a reflector .even have one outside my shop like that in the rain under an awning for months LoL

Another advantage to building a screw in socket array is that the socket bases haven't changed in nearly a century but the efficiency of theses style bulbs will. In the future when you have better option simply screw in the upgrade or change spectrums at will!!!!!!

I'm probably going to build a small one for a breeding cabinet

Had a rough start so no where near the yield i normally get percentage wise, but a nice little Ice Cool by Sweet Seeds grown under 24w of Off the Shelf Led Light
20170625_072934-jpg.770844

Man that looks sweet!
But dang you anyways... I had always been able to pass up the LED bulb "bargains". But not anymore!
I was at the local Re-Store (habitat for humanity retail store)and the had 100 watt equiv. 4k, 3.5k, and lots of others. I bout the 100 watt, or 15 actual watt 4k $0.99 each. The cool part is with very little persusion the bulb part pooper right off. These will make excellent "spot" lights to fill in the lower areas.
Thanks again for the enlightenment!!

Last edited:
@Meehi What a super job on the DIY. Best of all it looks nice, neat, and safe!! The wiring is appropriate and clean. Nice job and that deserves a :slap:

Plants are loving the first build. Next build coming up this weekend. Will post pics of the build. 24 14 watt LEDs.
Hey and Welcome!!
Sweet set up. It looks really clean. Healthy girls too from what I can see. :slap:
Peace and happy growing.

Last edited:
Back