Lighting Off the Shelf Screw in LED Bulbs as a Viable Alternative

Mr.Sparkle

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to one share knowledge, and two gleam some light on an alternative method of lighting our grows that isn't talked about much here on these forums.

So "What" you say "Lighting a grow with Off the shelf Screw in Led Bulbs that's non sense, i'm just gonna stick to my expensive panels and custom build COB arrays"

Now hold on a sec and hear me out, as i'm sure questions about heat generation, light efficiency, light output, and penetration is running through your heads.

So to start off i will state again Screw in led bulbs are a perfect and viable option for medium to small sized grows, and are cheaper to do than most comparable options and here is why.

First let use diy COB setups as a comparable example, which i have built a few of myself. Most people on here focus on the Citizen CLU048's or the Cree 3590, or what i've liked for bang for the buck the Bridgelux Vero Gen7 Series, they are all great options for building a COB array or setups but lets jump into the meat of it and make some comparisons.

All figures i'm gonna point out come from manufacturer spec sheets and i'll use Lumen, Wattage, and Lumens/watt at 2700k and 5000k color temperatures at Typical values with junction temperatures at 85degrees C, as i'll say almost no one is running their stuff at 25 degrees C. To note i'll get into Underdriven stuff later, but not yet.

So "Hold On" you say "Lumens are for humans, shouldn't you be comparing moles of energy or PAR values" and i will say yes, but this is just for comparison purposes and lumens is an easily available figure to do it with as manufactures don't regularly publish par ratings. So because of that we cannot make accurate comparisons to red-blue-mix led panels but that's not my goal.

Output

Alright let's begin by taking a Citizen CLU048 1212 for example its typical output is as follows for each color temperature.

2700k produces 5320 Lumens at 37.4watts, with an efficiency of 142Lu/watt
5000k produces 5815 Lumens at 37.4watts, with an efficiency of 155Lu/watt

how about a CLU048 1812
2700k produces 7790 Lumens at 56.1watts, with an efficiency of 139Lu/watt
5000k produces 8510 Lumens at 56.1watts, with an efficiency of 152Lu/watt

or a CLU048 1818
2700k produces 11370 Lumens at 84.2watts, with an efficiency of 135Lu/watt
5000k produces 12420 Lumens at 84.2watts, with an efficiency of 147Lu/watt

Which you could say are all pretty comparable

Let's move on to a Cree 3590
2700k produces 11000 Lumens at 86.4watts, with an efficiency of 127Lu/watt
5000k produces 12000 Lumens at 86.4watts, with an efficiency of 139Lu/watt

Or how about a Bridgelux Vero29
2700k produces 9720 Lumens at 79.1watts, with an efficiency of 134Lu/watt
5000k produces 11800 Lumens at 79.1watts, with an efficiency of 149Lu/watt

Bridgelux Vero 18
2700k produces 4060 Lumens at 30watts, with an efficiency of 123Lu/watt
5000k produces 4540 Lumens at 30watts, with an efficiency of 138Lu/watt

Now let's move on over to what we are here about i present to you a standard Off the shelf led bulb

A 800 lumen Philips bulb

Bulb.jpg

And here's some different broken down bulbs, two two being list 8w bulbs and the bottom a 14w bulb.
broken down.jpg

Using a 8w Philips bulb as an example, their package rated output is 800lumen at 8w, but to note here that with the ballast included and is the minimum they have to be cause anything else is false advertising.

But let's jump to what led's they are using with this example being a Philips bulb they are most likely using Luxeon 3030 SMD led's because of the size, current, forward voltage, and because philips partially owns lumiled which makes luxeon, Spec wise in their documentation they are rated at a 25 degree C rating and don't offer at 85 degree C rating but if you do the math of any of the other leds they all work out to be a roughly 10% drop in luminous flux at 85 degrees, so i use that to compare like to like.

Now will your retail bulbs have the top bin leds "definitely not" or the latest generation "possibly" but here are the figures for a luxeon 3030 smd led which there are 10+ of in each bulb depending on what it is.

Using a 10% drop in comparsion of a 25 degree C vs 85 degree C junction temp we would get the following

2700k produces 93 Lumens at 0.73watts, with an efficiency of 126Lu/watt
5000k produces 103.5 Lumens at 0.73watts, with an efficiency of 142Lu/watt

Thats pretty damn comparable to the afore mention COBs, but we aren't necessarily running at that as i will describe below.

Now through some latest measurement and research, and to note this is with the latest spec sheets as that's what i could find easily, the "8w" daylight bulbs are using 14 smd chips and what seem to be Osram Duris 2835, but they are running at 6.9w after the ballast at 116ma and 59.5v in a 7 series x 2 parallel array which would make them actually underdriven but they would be putting out around 61-76lm each which puts it right over the 800lumen mark which make sense, so a lumen efficiency of around 123-153lu/w but i think were using some older chips.

The "8w" soft white bulbs are most likely using the Luxon 3030 Led's but are running in a straight series array at 59v at 126ma total of 7.43w but the new ones would be putting out 93lm each at 85 degrees for a 125lu/w effiency, but i think we have a bit older model smd chips. Now the bigger "14w" softwhite is also most likely using the Luxon 3030 but is running a 15 series x 2 parallel array at 86.5v at 148ma after the ballast so 12.8w but again these will be under driven, and off the newer spec sheet would be running around 64lm each so 150lu/w, but again i think we're running an older version, so i'll have to hunt down a older spec sheet.

Now with all those specs and measurements aside through my own past measurement with the Ballast included and going by the package rated lumens we would be getting around 110-125lu/watt efficiency which make perfect sense as that's their minimum they much achieve.

So for like to like they are not far off efficiency wise, with the COB's being more efficient obviously, now with diy COB setups you can underdrive your leds to get higher efficiency but that trade off come at an increased expense of more COB's, ballasts, and heatsinks to get the same light output.

COST

Now let's jump into cost comparisons using lumens as the comparable measurement, and prices are done in USD and taken from mouser, digikey, and big reno stores like home depot.

Let start with a Citizen CLU048 1212
They typically run around $30 with an associated Meanwell ballast setting you back another $14, and you still will need a heatsink such as an old used CPU cooler $5, and thermal compound and wiring so let's say $50 even and that's not including any shipping charges you may incur for 5320 lumens at 2700k or 5815 Lu at 5000k

What about some "Off the Shelf" Philips bulbs at package rated minimum lumens using a "8w" bulb at a rate "800lumens" as an example, They cost $8 for a pack of four, so to equal the same output we would need 6.65-7.27 bulbs respectfully, but let's just jump that up to 8 bulbs for good measure,

So $16 Total vs $50 for the same thing that's 70% cheaper, what if we include some keyless sockets or cleat sockets for the bulbs at $1.5-3 a piece, Were still looking at $28-40 so 44% to 20% cheaper and that's still not equating in shipping vs walking into your local store.

Say you went with a Cree CXB 3590 instead, that price difference is about the same.

So what if you don't want to run so many bulbs, well bump up to the "100w equivalent bulbs" that put out twice the light, unfortunately though they are about 50% more expensive than the "60w equivalent" but at $12 for 2 bulbs, you're still looking at $24 vs $50 or with sockets $30-36 vs $50 still without taking into consideration any shipping charges.

Kinda show we have a clear winner in the cost aspect.

Electricity Cost

But "What about potential increased electricity costs" well let's try to compare but i'll add back in later with actual measurements after the ballast, but i'll try my best

Let use a Meanwell LPC-60-1050 Ballast as example to power out a Citizen CLU048 1212 COB, which at typical consumption is 37.4watts, now because nothing is 100% efficient our ballasts will lose some energy in the conversion process, so let's consult the spec sheets, Meanwell lists that specific ballast at 87% efficiency under typical conditions, do the math and that should mean will be consuming right around 43w from the wall, where as "package rated" led bulbs will pull 64watts for the same amount of light.

Now my past measurements have those bulbs actually pulling less in the 6-7w range for the "8w bulbs", but let's go with the bigger number of those of 56w total draw till i take some readings and we can compare after the ballast like for like, or i hook a bunch of bulbs up in parallel and see their total draw.

So 43w vs 56w means a 13w difference, now let's say our energy cost is $0.20 a kw/h, mine is less than half that but let's use a greater figure as not everyone has cheap electricity. So per cob/bulb comparable unit at $0.20 a kw/h running at 18/6 for us auto guys and gals, that works out to be 234 watt/h more a day or 0.234 kw/h

The cost difference between going to a Citizen CLU048 1212 vs bulbs per my previous calculations, is $14-22 respectively with which route you go, so how many days will it take to break even with the additional electricity cost vs up front cost ?

$14 / (0.234 kw/h x $0.20 a kw/h) = 299 days
$22/ (0.234 kw/h x $0.20 a kw/h) = 470 days

And again that's not including shipping costs of your COB's, Ballasts, and Heatsinks, which is usually $10+ an order for me anyways, or if your under driving them and need more of all that. But if we factor that in look at tacking on an extra 213 days to break even.

Myself at the underside of $0.09 a kw/h im looking at 3-4 Years to pay off the difference.

So if you have cheaper electricity bulbs are the way to go, if it's more expensive DIY COB's can be advantageous so long as you use them for over 1-1.5 years or less depending on how high your kw/h rate is

Heat and Penetration

Now let's get into heat generation and penetration.

Heat is our byproduct of taking electricity and turning it into light, now if side by side the efficiency is comparable, our heat generation will also be comparable, and it's not much simpler that that.

As far as penetration, if you are supplying the same amount of light to a given enclosed area the plants will use that, now if we have a singular source of higher intensity light we will have to have our light further away from out plants in comparison so things don't get burned heat and or light burn related, but if we supply our plants and canopy from multiple angles with less intense sources but more of them, equaling the total light output as a singular source, our plants won't care how they receive it, sure they will grow differently in say denser flatter canopies vs single cola tee structures, but bud is bud.

But look at any commercial led panel and that's the same principle, just spread out a little further in our case.

Now even still some people on other forums are getting plenty of penetration with good dense bud up to 36"or 92cm from the lights "100w equivalent bulbs", how much more space do you really need with some minor training techniques, unless your wanting to grow big trees you could still side supplement light where you plant is getting equally lit vs only the top getting light and everything trying to race towards that light.

Only thing left to discuss for this starter would be that you can also if you want break down these Off the shelf led bulbs and make your own arrays from them as a cheap alternative, which i have for my 5 gal bucket build, as i wanted to go simple in that application.

And here's a link to an album on how to break down the philips bulbs, which are pretty much the same regardless of their color temp or wattage.

So for now i'll leave this here, and i will contribute my own grow using Off the Shelf bulbs, and will look at getting permission to use some photos of other peoples grows on other forums using Off the Shelf bulbs in their own grows.

So feel free to contribute, add, show off your own grows, and or discussions about this alternative which i believe and know is a perfectly acceptable alternative to other current ways.

Last edited:
@Rebel can you please get this guy a tech freak badge?! Once I get off the road I'll read it a more thoroughly. I agree with what I did skim through and what's funny enough is my first light ever was using ge brightsticks. Which can now be bought for pennies at depot. I also removed the lense/cover which was helpful too. Rigged up a light which I believe people call Hollywood lights, drilled in a few extra holes and mogul sockets and had one hell of a bright LED fixture. While I always wanted to do the math I am pretty sure the lumen per watt was relatively close. Can't wait to READ! Nice job
IMG_1745.JPG

thanks for the led badge @Rebel and @BigSm0 for the recommendation.

i tinkered around a bit more tonight and got some forward voltages and such of the various led chips and figuring out specifically what they would be, but will have to grab current readings with my fluke at work as my at home meter i long since blew the fuse in for amperage which i haven't replaced, but i'll have to correct a few things in the above post tomorrow as the like for like i was thinking the daylight bulbs were 6500k but are actually 5000k so just need to put in the correct values for everything at 5000k not 6500k but that wont really change anything.

Personally, I think off the shelf screw in lights are a great idea for small cabinet grow. The results I've seen from around the internet tell me that they are, perhaps, more viable that CFLs and more cost effective than blasting your pants with photons from bulkier LED setups.

I am putting together my setup right now. I have a 1.5 x 2.5 x 4 foot cabinet. I am planning on using a 135 watt quantum board as my main light (it should arrive this week), but I would like to use off the shelf bulbs as supplemental/side lighting. Eventually, I'd like to test a main light setup with about 6 to 10 off the shelf 10 watt bulbs to see what it's capable of.

I think the board will be more than enough light for the space. Don't forget their recommendations are for photo period plants and not autos which get nearly twice the light hours per day.

Mr. sparkle I wonder how the e26 in 3500k had more lm/w than the 6500k. In cob land it's the opposite.

I also think these will do well but it's hard for people to rig up 10 or 100 of them for a grow and really think that's the main killer of it all. Even at 10 watts each you would need 5 to equal the standard 50w cob and that can be a pain in the butt.

Personally, I think off the shelf screw in lights are a great idea for small cabinet grow. The results I've seen from around the internet tell me that they are, perhaps, more viable that CFLs and more cost effective than blasting your pants with photons from bulkier LED setups.

They're definitely better than cfl's which i have grown with and had a few boxes designed with their use in the past.

I think the board will be more than enough light for the space. Don't forget their recommendations are for photo period plants and not autos which get nearly twice the light hours per day.

Mr. sparkle I wonder how the e26 in 3500k had more lm/w than the 6500k. In cob land it's the opposite.

I also think these will do well but it's hard for people to rig up 10 or 100 of them for a grow and really think that's the main killer of it all. Even at 10 watts each you would need 5 to equal the standard 50w cob and that can be a pain in the butt.

These are A19 bulbs not the e26's but that doesn't matter to the question, but as far as lumens goes whatever is closest ironically to the middle of our observable light spectrum which is in the 4000-5000k range will actually put out the most lumens from what i have seen, i think the difference in the above figures is because i was comparing 2700k to 6500k, and at those ends specifically the lower end the lumens drop off, but again lumens are measured more in the middle of our spectrum so anything on the edges will measure less even if they are putting out the same amount of moles of energy.

As far as wiring goes, its pretty easy to wire up 4 of the 14w or 7 of the 8w when using the cleat sockets, or keyless sockets, i use to make arrays of them back in the CFL days and would chop down the housings so i could get them closer together, but really i could have a string of 10 wired up and ready to go in about 2-3mins with a pair of automatic wire stripers screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers, which when you compare that to say drilling and tapping holes for cob hold downs and or waiting for thermal epoxy to cure if going that route, then soldering the connections from your ballast to the cob, there really isn't any time difference, if anything the bulbs will be quicker.

Also i will be changing some things in the main post today as i have some more accurate measurements and also hunted down the most probable smd leds that were used in bulbs i have taken apart.

This is fantastic reading....
Kudos for taking the time and making the effort..... I sincerely hope this stings :slap:......lol

Just to be pedantic..... Quoting from post [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] "Heat is our byproduct of taking electricity and turning it into light, now if side by side the efficiency is comparable, our heat generation will also be comparable, and it's not much simpler that that.".......energy = electricity = light = heat = energy =....... That is to say, each watt used is a watt of heat eventually, so to measure grow efficiency it's necessary to drill down to ppfd/PAR numbers.......

May I suggest you start a separate thread with the grow and keep this thread purely technical, with reference links between the two when appropriate, for purity's sake....

Again, excellent stuff
tipping hat.gif

Lots of DIY option out there! I've looked at many and tried a few, I still have a light built from 15 watt LED bulbs I use for clones. Getting upgrades to Sumsung strips soon. Must be where I live, those Philips bulbs are $16.99 a pack locally! If I could get the for $8 a 4 pack, I'd ditch all my cfls! I love DIY stuff!

Yes there may be a small savings, and wiring 110v sockets is easy. They may be good for micro grows, pc cab grows etc. They are easy to obtain and would be great if your in need of a light ASAP. These bulb are the CFL killers. Those already using cfl, can upgrade for just the price of the bulbs.

However, you can get Samsung hard strips in 1ft, 2ft, and 4ft lengths. I just looked at one to replace my T5 seedling light. $26 for a 4ft strip rated at 182Lm/w!!! And I believe at low power, they can be run without a heatsink.

That said, I just want to point out that CLU048-1212 can be bought for $10 - $14 . Most DIY guys don't use the LPC series driver because of the low efficiency. Most of the HLG line is 92%+ efficient. And I'm sure that those drivers in those bulbs are lucky to be 80% efficient. Calculate using eqiuvalent wattage for cob vs. bulb and most of your power usage savings are gone. Plus, a 1212 run at 25-35 watts will be 147 lm/w vs 110 lm/w for a bulb ( and I'll bet I'm being generous, as you said, these are certainly not top bin chips ). running just 100 watts of lighting, there's a 3700 lm difference.

Great post! Keep the DIY coming!

:slap:

:cheers::pass:

so to measure grow efficiency it's necessary to drill down to ppfd/PAR numbers.......

May I suggest you start a separate thread with the grow and keep this thread purely technical, with reference links between the two when appropriate, for purity's sake....

Again, excellent stuff View attachment 754239

totally agree, good par meters are pricey though, but this was the easiest to compare like for like

as for keeping the thread separate, i wasn't planning to have this as a grow log, but as place where people could post say final pictures with yield and metrics such as watt used and size space they grow in, which would provided some nice looking fluff for people who may not want to jump in fully yet to the tech side of the discussion.

However, you can get Samsung hard strips in 1ft, 2ft, and 4ft lengths. I just looked at one to replace my T5 seedling light. $26 for a 4ft strip rated at 182Lm/w!!! And I believe at low power, they can be run without a heatsink.

That said, I just want to point out that CLU048-1212 can be bought for $10 - $14 .
Most DIY guys don't use the LPC series driver because of the low efficiency. Most of the HLG line is 92%+ efficient. And I'm sure that those drivers in those bulbs are lucky to be 80% efficient. Calculate using eqiuvalent wattage for cob vs. bulb and most of your power usage savings are gone. Plus, a 1212 run at 25-35 watts will be 147 lm/w vs 110 lm/w for a bulb ( and I'll bet I'm being generous, as you said, these are certainly not top bin chips ). running just 100 watts of lighting, there's a 3700 lm difference.

Great post! Keep the DIY coming!

If referring to the samsung influx hard strips, right from the manufacturer spec sheets at "typical" conditions they are actually rated at 126lm/watt at 3000k and 141lm/watt at 5000k

As for 1212 at $10-14 im sure they can be found, but just going by a generic search on digikey the lowest priced 1212's on there are $28.50 usd right now

As for the HLG ballast i agree, and they look like excellent ballast for larger arrays, now then let's take a HLG-40H-42A current list price is $30 usd off mouser, that ballast is enough to supply one 1212 at "typical" conditions or two is they are under driven which the cost of the heatsinks and and extra cob bumps up the price, now if making arrays obviously you can lower the ballast price by running one ballast for an array so let take a look at "typical" values, say you picked up a HLG-240H-C1050A current list price on mouser is $70 usd, with a 93.5% efficiency "bonus" we can run almost 7 "6.87" but to be safe 6 1212's at "typical" ratings bringing down the ballast cost to $11.67 per cob, So again really isn't much difference.

But as i said if we underdrive our COB's then we can get way better efficiency, im in the 186-192lm/watt range ballast not included with my Vero18's in my pc cases as i'm underdriving them at 350ma, but by doing so im also increasing my cost by needing more COB's, Heatsinks, and Ballast or Ballast capabilities which all cost more.

Which brings pack to the point Off the Shelf Screw in's are a viable option, no they aren't the cream of the crop, but quick and dirty that will pay for themselfs for quite some time before breaking even with diy COB arrays they definitely have that.

Oh and as far as the cost of the bulbs even though i said they can be had at $8 usd in the states, myself i can get them in my country at around $10.50 usd per 4 pack of the "8w", so if we wanted to get technical it's an extra $0.63 per bulb for myself, but i full understand that not everyone will have prices like that, and that's where diy COB will probably be a better choice dollar for dollar

Last edited:
Back