And let the mischief begin. :)

Olderfart

DIY whenever possible, and sometimes when it isn't
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Various strains, via MCT oil tincture, gummies, dry flower vaping.
Well gro peeps, the annual winter grow is now underway, and I have decided to document it here. @Dale's Proper Bud, @Kyote, @BCBudlady and @Gone Camping might be interested in proceedings. :biggrin:

First, a note on how I will organize this. Each of my grow updates or descriptions of stuff will be threadmarked so peeps can just have a look without going through the comments, and so I have a grow record that works better for me later because I can find stuff. Hardly anyone bothers with Journals, and updating two spots so I can enjoy the commentary as well as have a good grow record is too much of a pain. A normal thread organized with threadmarks will be the compromise.

The grow will be in coco/perlite in ~4 liter pots, with automated top irrigation of Jack's 321. I will also throw in some solos for fun. Everything will be on the same reservoir, so keeping all the girls happy will be interesting.

Here are the pots I will be using:
IMG_1292.JPG

These are about 4 liters. I picked them up locally for about $4.00 apiece, a fraction of the cost of real air pots, so I figured I would give them a try. Given that I got an average of around 50 grams out of each of my solos, I figured 4 liter pots should do the trick with coco. The cross bar is a bamboo skewer. It will support my irrigation ring later.

Here is the pot alongside the support bucket which will stabilize the pot and collect runoff. The large hole in the side of the bucket will permit removal of runoff with a shop vac. At some point, I may arrange drainage to a single bucket outside the 'drobe, but will not bother this run. The styrofoam ring velcros to the top of the bucket to support the pot. It is velcroed to save storage space later, when the ring is removed, the buckets stack as the second photo below shows, which would not be possible if the ring were attached permanently. A plywood ring would work, but I had more styro around than plywood. Always trying to reduce the pile...
IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

The bucket has been shortened by being cut to height, and the removed top ring slid up over the bottom and glued in place. The re-positioned ring, and the holes in it, will keep the pot a bit lower for more headroom, and the holes I drilled in the skirt will assist training. My intent is to be able to move individual plants around to fit the space, or out of the 'drobe for training or pruning. I don't want to do a scrog because it prevents easy maintenance and adjustment, or moving plants out for working on them.

And here are the results so far:
IMG_1289.JPG

The assembled large pot on the left has 3 Dinamed Auto CBD Kush in it, and shows how the irrigation ring is supported. The ring has holes on the underside of it, and will be how the automatic top watering delivers nutes. DIY of course. Had I been able to find the hydro halos for a decent price, I would have gone with them, but the online costs were excessive. Until, that is, I built my own, and then found them at a grower supply place not on Amazon. Sigh. It will be interesting to see how the girls get along in such a small pot. Gotta be worth a try just for giggles, right @Mossy? If this works out, it will be in honour of auntie, the multi-pot queen. :biggrin:

The larger five girls in the solos, from lower left are Mephisto Double Grape, Anvil x Witch Doctor, Anvil, then above on the right, another Anvil, and in the middle, another DG. I will likely toss the least happy of the duplicate DG and Anvil. The Anvils are reg autos, so I will need to wait for a bit to see if I have a female to reverse. The remaining three will be reversed with CS to make seeds with the same strains in larger pots. The seed mothers will just have a branch pollenated when ready. I will start them soon, as the reversal girls are getting close to a three week head start. I have some pollen that has been stored dry and frozen since last winter, and I will likely do a cross with the Anvil with it. If it works, great, if not, it will cost me one small branch. Why not eh?:pighug:

The seedlings in the back row from the left are 24C x Auto PK from Oasis, Seedsman 30:1 Auto CBD Kush, Mephisto Cosmic Queen, and another Dinamed CBD Kush. They will be staying in their solos. The Dinamed is just one of the extras I germed for the big pot, but I didn't have the heart to bin it, so if room is there, I will see what she can do in a solo. The CQ is the last older seed I have of the strain, and it did not get off to a good start. It is still alive, but not going anywhere soon. Odds are that it is headed for the bin, but the jury is still out. The 30:1 is not far ahead, and may end up binned as well. I may add another solo or two later depending on how the rest of them go. The Anvil and WDA are likely to get big, so we shall see.

That pretty much brings us up to date for now. I will not be doing scheduled updates, I"ll just post when something bears reporting. Any questions, fire away peeps and I will try to provide a useful response.

Happy growing peeps, and welcome to the show. :pighug::bighug:

Oh yeah sir definitely tuned in for this I am looking for any input on irrigation DTW with coco i am doing the same and keep modify and upgrading system very interested what do you when that time comes ie: pumps fittings and setup of rez :biggrin::thanks::pop:

Well gro peeps, the annual winter grow is now underway, and I have decided to document it here. @Dale's Proper Bud, @Kyote, @BCBudlady and @Gone Camping might be interested in proceedings. :biggrin:

First, a note on how I will organize this. Each of my grow updates or descriptions of stuff will be threadmarked so peeps can just have a look without going through the comments, and so I have a grow record that works better for me later because I can find stuff. Hardly anyone bothers with Journals, and updating two spots so I can enjoy the commentary as well as have a good grow record is too much of a pain. A normal thread organized with threadmarks will be the compromise.

The grow will be in coco/perlite in ~4 liter pots, with automated top irrigation of Jack's 321. I will also throw in some solos for fun. Everything will be on the same reservoir, so keeping all the girls happy will be interesting.

Here are the pots I will be using:
View attachment 1535551

These are about 4 liters. I picked them up locally for about $4.00 apiece, a fraction of the cost of real air pots, so I figured I would give them a try. Given that I got an average of around 50 grams out of each of my solos, I figured 4 liter pots should do the trick with coco. The cross bar is a bamboo skewer. It will support my irrigation ring later.

Here is the pot alongside the support bucket which will stabilize the pot and collect runoff. The large hole in the side of the bucket will permit removal of runoff with a shop vac. At some point, I may arrange drainage to a single bucket outside the 'drobe, but will not bother this run. The styrofoam ring velcros to the top of the bucket to support the pot. It is velcroed to save storage space later, when the ring is removed, the buckets stack as the second photo below shows, which would not be possible if the ring were attached permanently. A plywood ring would work, but I had more styro around than plywood. Always trying to reduce the pile...
View attachment 1535549
View attachment 1535550

The bucket has been shortened by being cut to height, and the removed top ring slid up over the bottom and glued in place. The re-positioned ring, and the holes in it, will keep the pot a bit lower for more headroom, and the holes I drilled in the skirt will assist training. My intent is to be able to move individual plants around to fit the space, or out of the 'drobe for training or pruning. I don't want to do a scrog because it prevents easy maintenance and adjustment, or moving plants out for working on them.

And here are the results so far:View attachment 1535552

The assembled large pot on the left has 3 Dinamed Auto CBD Kush in it, and shows how the irrigation ring is supported. The ring has holes on the underside of it, and will be how the automatic top watering delivers nutes. DIY of course. Had I been able to find the hydro halos for a decent price, I would have gone with them, but the online costs were excessive. Until, that is, I built my own, and then found them at a grower supply place not on Amazon. Sigh. It will be interesting to see how the girls get along in such a small pot. Gotta be worth a try just for giggles, right @Mossy? If this works out, it will be in honour of auntie, the multi-pot queen. :biggrin:

The larger five girls in the solos, from lower left are Mephisto Double Grape, Anvil x Witch Doctor, Anvil, then above on the right, another Anvil, and in the middle, another DG. I will likely toss the least happy of the duplicate DG and Anvil. The Anvils are reg autos, so I will need to wait for a bit to see if I have a female to reverse. The remaining three will be reversed with CS to make seeds with the same strains in larger pots. The seed mothers will just have a branch pollenated when ready. I will start them soon, as the reversal girls are getting close to a three week head start. I have some pollen that has been stored dry and frozen since last winter, and I will likely do a cross with the Anvil with it. If it works, great, if not, it will cost me one small branch. Why not eh?:pighug:

The seedlings in the back row from the left are 24C x Auto PK from Oasis, Seedsman 30:1 Auto CBD Kush, Mephisto Cosmic Queen, and another Dinamed CBD Kush. They will be staying in their solos. The Dinamed is just one of the extras I germed for the big pot, but I didn't have the heart to bin it, so if room is there, I will see what she can do in a solo. The CQ is the last older seed I have of the strain, and it did not get off to a good start. It is still alive, but not going anywhere soon. Odds are that it is headed for the bin, but the jury is still out. The 30:1 is not far ahead, and may end up binned as well. I may add another solo or two later depending on how the rest of them go. The Anvil and WDA are likely to get big, so we shall see.

That pretty much brings us up to date for now. I will not be doing scheduled updates, I"ll just post when something bears reporting. Any questions, fire away peeps and I will try to provide a useful response.

Happy growing peeps, and welcome to the show. :pighug::bighug:
That's pretty nifty...

Oh yeah sir definitely tuned in for this I am looking for any input on irrigation DTW with coco i am doing the same and keep modify and upgrading system very interested what do you when that time comes ie: pumps fittings and setup of rez :biggrin::thanks::pop:
I will make sure that I provide info on that stuff, but feel free to jump in with questions. The irrigation setup is just my take on the approach recommended by Cocoforcannabis.com. Those guys have figured most of this stuff out. I used this setup on my solos last winter, and they did well. I have always had issues with subirrigation later in the grow, so if this grow works in the larger pots, the autopots will be used only in the outdoor summer garden of vegies.

I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with the Jack's nutes. I'm pretty sure that I will be staying with them, the price is right, and the peeps there also seem to know what they are doing. I considered MC two part, but could not get it in less than 25 lb bags which is far too much of it for my interests.

I will make sure that I provide info on that stuff, but feel free to jump in with questions. The irrigation setup is just my take on the approach recommended by Cocoforcannabis.com. Those guys have figured most of this stuff out. I used this setup on my solos last winter, and they did well. I have always had issues with subirrigation later in the grow, so if this grow works in the larger pots, the autopots will be used only in the outdoor summer garden of vegies.

I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with the Jack's nutes. I'm pretty sure that I will be staying with them, the price is right, and the peeps there also seem to know what they are doing. I considered MC two part, but could not get it in less than 25 lb bags which is far too much of it for my interests.

yup been there few times need to go back and do more research :rofl: :rofl: :biggrin: I do have couple simple question since your plants are always on point are you feeding everyday already? I tend to let them go a day or 2 during the first 7-10 days... And when do you plan you putting them on the irrigation system/rez? which I assume will be multiple time a day fertigation's

The larger girls destined for reversal now get 3-4 manual fertigations per day to 10 plus percent runoff. The seedlings are just getting nutes once a day or so from a turkey baster. Nutes applied only outside the foliage print, and not yet to significant runoff in either the solos or the big pot. I will start fertigating the big pot and the solos to runoff soon. Feed from the reservoir on the big pots will start once the leaves hang a bit over the edge of the pot. Before then, pots will be watered manually to runoff, likely once or twice a day by the time the reservoir needs to be turned on.

I am winging it a bit on how to combine the solo feed and large pot feed from the same pump. I am not sure I will be able to deliver runoff in the large pots without over doing the solos, or that they both will need, or tolerate, the same number of fertigations per day. We shall see. Right now, I am hoping that the large pots will handle at least 4 fertigations per day, and that 4 will keep the solos happy. I had the solos on 6 last year, but at this point doubt that I will want the large pots on 6. I may end up adding a second pump to the system so that solos can be managed independently from the same reservoir. She's a work in progress.

One of these days, I will grow the same way more than once in a row. :biggrin: In the meantime, I get enough bud while having fun learning about this stuff.

:pighug::cheers:

Back