[OPINIONS WANTED] How do YOU determine harvest window?

I almost forgot the most important thing i was taught as a new grower:

When you think she is finished, wait a week
Best advice for a new grower!! Early harves
Sawneys Lecter….. not yet???
View attachment 1480321
Rainbow glue…..not yet?
View attachment 1480320
At the first signs of pistil regression, you have 3ish weeks left. I would say 3 weeks minimum…especially for stonier smoke. Big difference, usually, in weight if you wait too!!

Cloudy/ milky at first sign of amber if half the pistils turned already,taken in sections as it matures

After about 80% of the pistils have turned orange I know I have 2-3 weeks to go and the buds will double in size before she greatly reduces water intake, NOW is when I check the trichs for opaqueness, color change. On my very first grow I foolishly/ignorantly harvested when the pistils changed color,,,,oooops!

Great thread @Son of Hobbes , something I've also been thinking about lately...

I'd be interested to know where the idea of looking at trichomes comes from.

I generally harvest when trichomes are mostly cloudy and 90+% of pistils are non-white and curled in.

I do think harvesting based on trichome colors is largely bro science. Not saying there is nothing to it (I use it myself) , but I am personally skeptical that they work the way that is generally accepted.

I'm a low tolerance user, and haven't been able to notice a difference in the effects of a plant based on trichomes being mostly cloudy, or 50%+ amber.

This is why I harvest at mostly cloudy or even just based on pistils. Just my .02$ of course.

Great thread @Son of Hobbes , something I've also been thinking about lately...

I'd be interested to know where the idea of looking at trichomes comes from.

I generally harvest when trichomes are mostly cloudy and 90+% of pistils are non-white and curled in.

I do think harvesting based on trichomes colors is largely bro science. Not saying there is nothing to it (I use it myself) , but I am personally skeptical that they work the way that is generally accepted.

I'm a low tolerance user, and haven't been able to notice a difference in the effects of a plant based on trichomes being mostly cloudy, or 50%+ amber.

This is why I harvest at mostly cloudy or even just based on pistils. Just my
.02$ of course.

So here's my two bits, and I'll have to find the articles that substantiate this, but allegedly the average concentration of the cannabinoid CBN in most plants is around 1%, and from what I've read, that might even be a bit generous.

The idea that most growers seem to have is that when trichomes turn from milky to amber, it's suggested there's a conversion process of THC to CBN. But most articles regarding CBN talk about time and oxidation after long term storage being a reason for CBN conversion, not necessarily because you let your plants ripen a few weeks longer.

And then there's the mention of "let the trichomes amber out to help produce couch lock effects." You can find concentrated CBN in certain cannabis products, and it absolutely can help as a sleep aide for some people, BUT...

What about myrcene? Myrcene is THE most abundant terpene in cannabis; supposedly myrcene makes up as much as 65% of total terpene profile in some cultivars (need to find the quoted study on this.) It's also extremely sedating.

Here's a good food-for-thought read on it:

The significant biological role of β-myrcene in plant essential oils may be limited due to the existing chemical variability. Fluctuations of the chemical composition occur due to harvesting time, climate, age of plant, plant parts, and extraction methods used. There is also possibility that β-myrcene found within plant essential oils act synergistically with other components within the essential oil to enhance health benefits. Therefore, potential synergism and antagonism should be further studied.

I'd be curious to see how myrcene levels test out on different harvest windows.

I go buy density and frost build up and time that the seed vendor reccomended. I use a amber scope too to help decide. But as said above i have had autos that hardly amber they can be a bit tricky.

I would like to say I harvest at 80% milky and 20% amber tric's, but the truth is, I post pictures on AFN, and wait til Son of Hobbes says they look good. And I been pleasantly stoned ever since.

Buds have fully swollen, trichomes are fully cloudy with a little amber…..although from my experience not all autos amber for some reason….but I’m really looking for nice milky trichomes and fat buds.
I try to harvest before I’ve managed to fully kill the plants:crying: always learning
I would like to say I harvest at 80% milky and 20% amber tric's, but the truth is, I post pictures on AFN, and wait til Son of Hobbes says they look good. And I been pleasantly stoned ever since.
:yeahthat: all of above :rofl::rofl::rofl::toke: Combination of everything hairs, trichz at least 100%cloudy, buds swollen , strain guide, AFN comments, and my stash:haha::vibe::toke::rofl::rofl:

Back