Peat pots BAD

Canabisius

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Howdy folks,
I have recently stumbled upon something I want to share with the community.
Last week I planted some marigold seeds. I planted a few in one of those peat pots
I have been using them for years without really noticing what I am about to show you

1616606767037.png
Both were fed the same water, same medium, light eand everything.

The growth difference is pretty substantial. So I went back through my photos and journals and noticed that cannabis plants I have started out in these peat pots are stunted, they never really thrived. I always put it off as genetics.

The windup is DON'T USE PEAT POTS
If anyone is intersted I can dig up more proof

I don't need any further proof. Been struggling with a Red skunk seedling in a peat pot for a month. It has clawed it's way to about 3" and had sickly leaf discoloration problems that I think relate to ph issues. I saw this thread after hearing about this forum and decided to repot and leave peat tf out of the potting I'll be doing soon. Thanks for the trigger, there's other things besides peat to use. I'm going to blend in some clay, bentonite, montmorillonite, there's others I can't recall but basically...oil dry.

All I am saying is don't give peats a chance. :biggrin:

I don't normally use the peat pots but I do grow with sphagnum peat moss in my living coco mix an my plants do great absolutely no discolored leaves an definitely no stunted growth .In fact I tryed just regular coco an went back to the brand with peat moss added

I've heard they are real bad for waterlogging and can take ages to break down if you transplant them direct into your bigger pots.

I'm looking for a decent seedling pot that I can drop straight into the bigger pots but apart from these peat things there doesn't seem to be much on the market.

I've heard they are real bad for waterlogging and can take ages to break down if you transplant them direct into your bigger pots.

I'm looking for a decent seedling pot that I can drop straight into the bigger pots but apart from these peat things there doesn't seem to be much on the market.
2 solo cups. One inside with the bottom 2 inches cut off. When time to transplant, slip off the outside cup and leave the inside cup in place.

Raises the plant off the bag, giving you more room to water etc. I haven't had any issues with stunting or small ladies. Been running this way for about 2 years now.16172023487294376899375783162840.jpg16172023816419208167417993218864.jpg

And... they're reusable.

The first seeds I ever tried to grow i started in the jiffy peat pots. There horrible killed my 3 bears og seeds. I figured it out pretty quickly they were the issue which is quite amazing for my skill level at the time. Point is yeah they're terrible. I think Arthur has it right that it crashes then ph. Those are made of spaghnum moss not peat. The difference is the moss on top is alive and hasn't decayed for thousands of years.

Yeah it is my experience as well, I have only started one seed in a peat pot like that and it just doesn't degrade fast enough for roots to poke through in time. The pot is also too small and doesn't retain water well, so you end up watering more often, and risk over watering in the end.

Back