Grow Room Preparing 1L airpots for wicking

parsing_trees

curious
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I've been growing in 1L airpots in coco, watering the tray and letting them wick it up (bottom-feeding). Here's how I set up my airpots:

First, because the base sits in the space between the inward facing holes, there's a small air gap at the bottom.
airpot-disc-base.jpg

Eventually the roots will grow past this air gap, but I add a wicking rope to give them a head start. I put a plant twist tie through the airpot, a couple holes up, so it can keep the rope from sinking to the bottom. Then, I fold rope over it, and put both ends through the holes in the base.

From the outside, it looks like this:

airpot-base-with-wick-outside.jpg

And inside, fully assembled, looks like this:

airpot-with-base-and-wick.jpg

I tried a couple different kinds of rope, seeing which could wick water with food coloring up quickest from the bottom of a glass. Out of those, the winner was 3/16" braided polyester clothesline, "Blue Hawk 0.1875-in x 50-ft Braided Polyester Rope" from Lowe's, which also alluded to "gardening" use on the label. $5 for 50 feet. Other kinds of rope probably also work really well, but it's worth further experimenting.

That's thinking outside of the box.

Attachments

• 129018997785124146031.jpg
    129018997785124146031.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 91
I've been growing in 1L airpots in coco, watering the tray and letting them wick it up (bottom-feeding). Here's how I set up my airpots:

First, because the base sits in the space between the inward facing holes, there's a small air gap at the bottom.View attachment 1178248

Eventually the roots will grow past this air gap, but I add a wicking rope to give them a head start. I put a plant twist tie through the airpot, a couple holes up, so it can keep the rope from sinking to the bottom. Then, I fold rope over it, and put both ends through the holes in the base.

From the outside, it looks like this:

View attachment 1178249

And inside, fully assembled, looks like this:

View attachment 1178252

I tried a couple different kinds of rope, seeing which could wick water with food coloring up quickest from the bottom of a glass. Out of those, the winner was 3/16" braided polyester clothesline, "Blue Hawk 0.1875-in x 50-ft Braided Polyester Rope" from Lowe's, which also alluded to "gardening" use on the label. $5 for 50 feet. Other kinds of rope probably also work really well, but it's worth further experimenting.
Thanks again for posting this up! This makes my current workaround seem kinda “unga bunga-captain caaaaaavemaaaaaaaaaan!-esque! Lol.

Back