Root's Honey Tincture

So to clarify. You shake the jar with the lid on, then leave it with cheesecloth until the next shake? Also. What kind of estimate on time from beginning until end, where no more shaking is needed and all alcohol is evaporated?

Ps this is an awesome thread so thank you for sharing

So to clarify. You shake the jar with the lid on, then leave it with cheesecloth until the next shake?
Yes
Unless I'm stoned...I get so mad when I forget to put the cheese cloth back on :rofl:

Also. What kind of estimate on time from beginning until end, where no more shaking is needed and all alcohol is evaporated?

I usually do a gallon at a time, and I always "aged" it (shaking and airing) for at least 2 weeks. [I was selling and shipping]
With the smaller volume it should take less time. The temperature it is kept at and how much it's agitated makes a difference too.
I would taste taste it to see when the alcohol is all gone.

Day 3 (Saturday) More of the same...shake shake shake
IMG_8234.JPG

I'm giving this a try too. I had about a cup sitting around so I poured about a cup of honey in and started shaking. Today is day 3 for me, so far so good. I'd say almost a 1/4 cup has evaporated. Sill smells like everclear a bit, maybe another 2-3 days?
Thanks for the idea by the way. I usually make gummies and give them to friends, they taste a little gnarly but do the job. This could be a huge improvement on the taste hopefully without losing much potency.

Hi @carpenter21 :thumbsup:
I did a taste test of mine at day 4, by the smell I knew it would bee too much :biggrin:

Day 5 (Monday)
IMG_8264 (2).JPG

IMG_8265 (2).JPG

Taste test on Monday, day 5 has a little burn under the tongue, but nothing I can't handle :chef:
When I had a lot of this around, I would put some at this stage in some hot tea...made a nice hot toddy.

It will have to have no alcohol for @Eekman but I don't mind a little in mine :tonic:

Stoner moment...I forgot to put the picture in
View attachment 946290

Must be strong stuff, it went right to the bear's head!

Great thread, Root. I like canna honey, but I'm diabetic so I don't want to use honey or syrup every day.

I keep my sugars in balance (for the most part) with diet. And if there's chocolate around, I will "spend" my cheat on that!

Any ideas if this tech would work with molasses? It has about 33% less sugars. It's really thick, but the highest test alcohol I can get now is 75% navy rum so it would be thinned a bit by the water content.

Must be strong stuff, it went right to the bear's head!

Great thread, Root. I like canna honey, but I'm diabetic so I don't want to use honey or syrup every day.

I keep my sugars in balance (for the most part) with diet. And if there's chocolate around, I will "spend" my cheat on that!

Any ideas if this tech would work with molasses? It has about 33% less sugars. It's really thick, but the highest test alcohol I can get now is 75% navy rum so it would be thinned a bit by the water content.

I don't see why not. It should work the same in any liquid that you can add the tincture to, and let the alcohol evaporate out.
Let us know if you do it!

:d5:

Good to know!
My jars are a bit too empty to make tincture right now.
But if all goes well this time, I'll try it with some long-aged mazar that I have stashed away for a rainy ...or should I say dry day.

I guess the possibilities are endless then. I once thought of enhancing an IP Ale, but didn't think I could get it past the U-Brew staff. Maybe instead I could make a concentrated Hops tea canna tincture, and add to beer or tea etc as I want.

Back