Reaction score
Website
everessencekd.com
Currently Smoking
My Genius Pipe!
Root’s Honey Tincture
100_7487 (3).JPG

I Love tinctures.
Tinctures are typically made with a food grade alcohol, but glycerin can be used too.
Alcohol can extract everything you want out of your cannabis. Glycerin can extract only about 33%.
I use the highest proof, food grade alcohol I can get. Right now I am able to get 190 proof Everclear, but even 80 proof vodka will work. The higher amount of water in the lower proof alcohols will extract more of the chlorophyll and other water soluble compounds.
I would not recommend adding honey to a tincture made with glycerin. It would probably bee too sweet anyway.
IMG_1111 (2).JPG

For those not wanting to consume alcohol, you will evaporate all of the alcohol out of the honey tincture by using the recipe below. And it will be done without any heat. Because heat kills the beneficial enzymes in honey.. That is the reason I always use raw honey. compare raw vs pasteurized honey.

Tinctures are best taken sublingual.
The medicine bypasses your digestive tract and goes directly to your liver and to your blood stream.
This requires the medication to sit under your tongue for 3 to 5 minutes. I don’t know anybody who can do this with vodka let alone 190 proof Everclear! But I know that alcohol evaporates, and in this case leaves the cannabis goodies behind.
IMG_1110 (2).JPG

I actually have 2 Honey Tincture products.
What I call Green Honey is made with decarbed cannabis.
Then with a request from a friend who wanted the relief she got with my Green Honey, but didn’t want any of the high, I made it with undecarbed cannabis. I call this one K-Honey.
IMG_0240 (2).JPG IMG_20161025_171638974.jpg IMG_20161025_171700704.jpg
The biggest difference in the two tinctures, is that Green Honey will get you high, while K-Honey will not.
Cannabinoids in their acid state (THCa, CBDa, etc), that have not been decarbed will not cross the blood brain barrier.

Okay, on to the recipe;

1) Make your tincture with either cannabis that has been decarbed or not, using your choice of food grade alcohol.

2) Add honey to your tincture to double the volume. (For example, 1 cup tincture plus 1 cup honey).

3) Put a lid on your container and shake until the honey and tincture are combined.

4) Replace the lid with a screen or cheese cloth. Place in a warm dark area and shake or stir 3 or more times a day.

5) After 3 to 5 days, taste test to check for alcohol in the honey.
:weed:Smaller volumes will takes less time than larger batches.
:weed:The more you agitate, the faster the alcohol will evaporate.
:weed:The warmer the temperature, the faster the alcohol will evaporate.​

At this point you have a nice little tincture, with no alcohol (shake before using) that can be taken sublingual.

OR

6) Add more tincture (keeping with the original amount), and repeat from step 3, for an extra strong Honey Tincture.

:smoking:

I might have to do this, we keep bees! As you said, 190 proof under the tongue for 5 seconds, takes your skin off lol

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

:aha: Wow, super timely Root! I was talking with my sister about how to make more with what we can get locally,... will it work with this product (ethanol extract put into oil base)? The THC tinc will be more of a challenge to find a deal on, dispensaries are $$! ... I have so little trim left, but might be able to squeeze out a small batch,.. how much time is needed, and if you have a quickie recipe maybe..? .... I think the decarb'ed CBD will be fine (she can use the mellowing/non-high CBD effect), and THCA is perfect as described,... We'll chat this weekend!
Thanks luv! :bighug:

https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/shop/tinctures/cbd-tinctures/

Hi @Waira
Tell your sister I said "HI!".
You know, I started making the K Honey for her. I would get some high CBD flower and not decarb it before the alcohol extraction. That way the THC is in acid form (THCa) and does not cross the blood/brain barrier.
Your liver knows what to do with the cannabinoids in their acid state, so you get the body affect without the high.

We'll chat this weekend!
You can call any time!

Cool :thumbsup: hope you like it!

That a neat new thing that @Son of Hobbes put in!
:thanks:
I'm just waiting on some muslin/cheesecloth to put over the neck of a jar before I can start. I'm pretty sure my local greengrocer will have raw honey although it'll be expensive.

Yes, it's a great feature! It's sent me off all over the site over the last few days LOL in a good way!

Have a wonderful weekend Root and Eek :bighug:

Back