Extraction Rosin Pressing

JP1

Johnny Blazin
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
This thread is for basic rosin extraction. Please share your advise, kits, stories, successes and failures so we all can learn. There are a million ways to process and post process rosin, creating all sorts of wonderful things and the goal here is to share and learn :bighug:

I'm gonna start with this
PXL_20220816_214219781.jpg

Outdoor Rocbud Smackz. Harvested a couple weeks early due to outdoor circumstances. Been curing for about a month now. These are the green buds that you can see on the right and in the back. Cured flower will generally give darker rosin, but color has nothing to do with potency and it doesn't affect yield
PXL_20220929_231817355.jpg

I keep it at 62%rh. That'll keep it moist enough to stuff into the bags with my fingers without it crumbling and breaking into pieces. Drier and you'll lose a little output but nothing crazy, that'll also make it a little darker and leave more residue in the banger. Not a real big deal though, it'll still get you stoned, just takes a little more iso and qtips to clean afterward

90 or 120 micron bags work well with flower. 90 will be lighter color and 120 will be darker but produce more weight with slightly more flavor, but the color difference is more noticable then the taste difference. This pressing will be 120 since somehow, I can't seem to find my 90s. I pack 1-2in of flower in a 2x4.5 bag and press it down with my fingers so the bag makes a round shape. Then push the bottom corners of the bag in to hold the shape, then fill with the rest. Want to press it in as tight as I can to not leave any air pockets or wrinkles that'll hold the rosin. I don't feel like a pre-press is necessary here as long as the flower is moist enough.
I like to press 7-8gs at a time. The bags always hold a certain amount of rosin that gets stuck in it, so the more you put in the bag, the more you'll get out since the bag will hold the same amount regardless
PXL_20220929_232737650.jpg
PXL_20220929_232747413.jpg

Trim the top off the bag off so you don't lose any rosin to it and fold it like a Xmas present
PXL_20220930_015822440.jpg
PXL_20220930_015857826.jpg

Turn on the press. You'll get rosin anywhere from 180*+. All strains are different and they even press differently with different harvest times, so this takes some playing with. But 200* is a safe starting point for any flower.
Put your puck between folded parchment and into the press. Parchment should be coated on 1 side with silicone and that's the side you want your puck in between. Press it down until it's smooshed but not until the bag bursts. If you look with a flashlight, you'll see the bag begin to expand between the plates and that's the point you want to be at, and basically keep it at
PXL_20220930_020048163.jpg
PXL_20220930_020153052.jpg

When you see the rosin start to leak out of the bag slowly apply more pressure. The pressure on the puck decreases as the rosin comes out so you gotta keep giving it a little more as it drains to keep it draining
When the big bubbles stop and you see just little bubbles only close to the puck you're around done. Usually takes 5-7min total until it's time to pull it out
PXL_20220930_020839966.jpg

You can tell here from the space between the puck and the rosin, that most of the good stuff has come out and a 2nd press isn't necessary
PXL_20220930_021836343.jpg

Cured flower and 120 so it's gonna be dark. 1st time I've pressed this plant, so next time I'll drop the temp to lighten it up and hopefully not lose any volume. That's the balance. The color will also get lighter after whipping in the jar. 7gs in 1.3gs out which is a little less then my normal, but these plants were harvested a couple weeks early so makes sense
Happy pressing!

I'm gonna start with this
View attachment 1520265
Outdoor Rocbud Smackz. Harvested a couple weeks early due to outdoor circumstances. Been curing for about a month now. These are the green buds that you can see on the right and in the back. Cured flower will generally give darker rosin, but color has nothing to do with potency and it doesn't affect yield
View attachment 1520272
I keep it at 62%rh. That'll keep it moist enough to stuff into the bags with my fingers without it crumbling and breaking into pieces. Drier and you'll lose a little output but nothing crazy, that'll also make it a little darker and leave more residue in the banger. Not a real big deal though, it'll still get you stoned, just takes a little more iso and qtips to clean afterward

90 or 120 micron bags work well with flower. 90 will be lighter color and 120 will be darker but produce more weight with slightly more flavor, but the color difference is more noticable then the taste difference. This pressing will be 120 since somehow, I can't seem to find my 90s. I pack 1-2in of flower in a 2x4.5 bag and press it down with my fingers so the bag makes a round shape. Then push the bottom corners of the bag in to hold the shape, then fill with the rest. Want to press it in as tight as I can to not leave any air pockets or wrinkles that'll hold the rosin. I don't feel like a pre-press is necessary here as long as the flower is moist enough.
I like to press 7-8gs at a time. The bags always hold a certain amount of rosin that gets stuck in it, so the more you put in the bag, the more you'll get out since the bag will hold the same amount regardless
View attachment 1520285View attachment 1520286
Trim the top off the bag off so you don't lose any rosin to it and fold it like a Xmas present
View attachment 1520288View attachment 1520289
Turn on the press. You'll get rosin anywhere from 180*+. All strains are different and they even press differently with different harvest times, so this takes some playing with. But 200* is a safe starting point for any flower.
Put your puck between folded parchment and into the press. Parchment should be coated on 1 side with silicone and that's the side you want your puck in between. Press it down until it's smooshed but not until the bag bursts. If you look with a flashlight, you'll see the bag begin to expand between the plates and that's the point you want to be at, and basically keep it at
View attachment 1520292View attachment 1520293
When you see the rosin start to leak out of the bag slowly apply more pressure. The pressure on the puck decreases as the rosin comes out so you gotta keep giving it a little more as it drains to keep it draining
When the big bubbles stop and you see just little bubbles only close to the puck you're around done. Usually takes 5-7min total until it's time to pull it out
View attachment 1520295
You can tell here from the space between the puck and the rosin, that most of the good stuff has come out and a 2nd press isn't necessary
View attachment 1520296
Cured flower and 120 so it's gonna be dark. 1st time I've pressed this plant, so next time I'll drop the temp to lighten it up and hopefully not lose any volume. That's the balance. The color will also get lighter after whipping in the jar. 7gs in 1.3gs out which is a little less then my normal, but these plants were harvested a couple weeks early so makes sense
Happy pressing!
Great write-up buddy :toke:

What press are you using?

Is there a gauge that shows how much pressure you're at? I see presses for sale from 2 to 12 tons. How much press is enough for this size bag?

I'm very interested in getting a press, but I only want to buy it once.

Is there a gauge that shows how much pressure you're at? I see presses for sale from 2 to 12 tons. How much press is enough for this size bag?

You'd need at least 10 ton. 20 is better, so you don't max it out

Mine is a 12 ton with 3x7 plates, so technically I could put 3 pucks in it at the same time, although I never have. Generally anything 4 ton or more and 2x2 plates or more will press 1/8 no problem. I don't have a gauge, just takes a little feel and practice :thumbsup:

:yeahthat: I use a 12 ton and it is more then enough for what i do..4 ton or bigger should be plenty but it all depends on how much you wanna spend:goodluck:
Mine is a 12 ton with 3x7 plates, so technically I could put 3 pucks in it at the same time, although I never have. Generally anything 4 ton or more and 2x2 plates or more will press 1/8 no problem. I don't have a gauge, just takes a little feel and practice :thumbsup:

:yeahthat:

That’s what she said :haha::doh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Nice thread to excellent work :biggrin::nicethread:

I should mention @Dale's Proper Bud has another great thread here where you can see him go from brand new through experienced. And he built a really nice press frame by himself. Good shit :thumbsup:
I'll try to tag and add other pressers to the thread so we can all learn from each other and give newbies a head start

Back