S1 or ???

Reaction score
Popped 30 fem auto's and reversed 2 of the females with STS and pollenated remaining 28 female plants. Will seeds produced be considered S1? The reversed females really weren't bred to themselves but to the others. R1 seems more appropriate...reversed 1st generation. But I know that isn't what you call them...input? Thanks.

I think you just have more of the same strain seeds, not the start of a new strain, for that I think you need to take your pick of one plant and reverse/pollinate it with itself instead of pollen from two different plants pollinating 18 different others.
I could be totally wrong but I'm sure someone more in the know will arrive :)

I think you just have more of the same strain seeds, not the start of a new strain, for that I think you need to take your pick of one plant and reverse/pollinate it with itself instead of pollen from two different plants pollinating 18 different others.
I could be totally wrong but I'm sure someone more in the know will arrive :)
I started with 30 mephisto toothless alien auto fem, reversed 2, bred them to remaining 28. Not sure if that makes a difference...

I started with 30 mephisto toothless alien auto fem, reversed 2, bred them to remaining 28. Not sure if that makes a difference...
I think I saw a chart kind of thing posted explaining the S, R etc... Gets a little confusing and impossible to remember if you read it stoned lol

I believe the S1 term is for when you self pollinate the plant you reversed. I believe the plants you pollinated if the same strain as the reversed plant will become F3.. I'm not 100% on this but that is my current understanding.

They are 1st generation open pollination reversals.. Or open pollination R1's.. But I don't think breeding terminology matters if/when no breeding work was done. I'd call personally call those " bulk seed stock"..

Selfing a plant is simply selfing it.
Popped 30 fem auto's and reversed 2 of the females with STS and pollenated remaining 28 female plants. Will seeds produced be considered S1? The reversed females really weren't bred to themselves but to the others. R1 seems more appropriate...reversed 1st generation. But I know that isn't what you call them...input? Thanks.

When you backcross, this means you crossed backwards in your line to an earlier generation. This could be that you simply went back wards one filial generation or you could have crossed all the way back to a parental generation. The parental generation is simply the two original plants you used to start your new line.

Basics....To make this simple, if you cross a C. sativa 'Panama Red' x C. ruderalis... the two parents C. sativa 'Panama Red' and C. ruderalis are your parental generation of your filial generation 1 or f1 for short. This is your first crosses seeds. This would result in a hybrid f1 that was 100% heterozygous for autoflowers.

When you grow up those f1 seeds, any cross between them will produce f2 seeds or your second filial generation. If you take your f1 seed and cross it back to one of its parents then you have an F1BC1 or some may simply annotate it as BC1 for first back cross.

If you self your f1 seed or any seed for that matter, that is considered S1 seed or seed that is selfed 1 time.

An example of a backcross with an f1 would be: (C. sativa 'Panama Red' x C. ruderalis) x C. sativa 'Panama Red which could also be written as (C. sativa 'Panama Red' x C. ruderalis F1) x C. sativa 'Panama Red' where it is understood that the first plant in the equation is always your seed bearer and the second is your pollen donor.

Since your first plant is 100% heterozygous for the autoflower trait and you are crossing to a flower that is 100% homozygous for photoperiod, you can expect 50% of your F1BC1 seed to be homozygous for photoperiod flowers with 50% of your seedlings being heterozygous for the autoflowering trait.

An R1 is similar to an F1, but is simply a cross done with a reversed female rather than regular male pollen. R1 crosses are great as it allows you to cross two female clones of known traits, such as THC concentration, to each other. As those traits are quantitative traits this is a really good way of working those traits forward, but it requires a lot more effort than using a regular male. An R1 is like an f1, but again with the R1 you are using a reversed female to create pollen for your cross rather than using a standard male.

Some will annotate a F1BC1 as simply BC or BX. F1BC2 or F1BX2 are also possible. A BC2 or BX2 depending on how you like to annotate simply means you have crossed back wards to an earlier parent in your line twice.

An example of a BC2, BX2 or F1BC2 would be (Cannabis sativa [('Panama Red' x C. ruderalis) x C. sativa 'Panama Red]' x C. sativa 'Panama Red'. We see the parent plant C. sativa 'Panama Red' is introduced twice into the line.

H
They are 1st generation open pollination reversals.. Or open pollination R1's.. But I don't think breeding terminology matters if/when no breeding work was done. I'd call personally call those " bulk seed stock"..
How do you know if breeding work was done or not? All 30 seeds could have been produced by a great phenotyped female that took years to find. I simply asked if R1, S1, etc. "Bulk seed stock"....lol.

Selfing a plant is simply selfing it.

When you backcross, this means you crossed backwards in your line to an earlier generation. This could be that you simply went back wards one filial generation or you could have crossed all the way back to a parental generation. The parental generation is simply the two original plants you used to start your new line.

Basics....To make this simple, if you cross a C. sativa 'Panama Red' x C. ruderalis... the two parents C. sativa 'Panama Red' and C. ruderalis are your parental generation of your filial generation 1 or f1 for short. This is your first crosses seeds. This would result in a hybrid f1 that was 100% heterozygous for autoflowers.

When you grow up those f1 seeds, any cross between them will produce f2 seeds or your second filial generation. If you take your f1 seed and cross it back to one of its parents then you have an F1BC1 or some may simply annotate it as BC1 for first back cross.

If you self your f1 seed or any seed for that matter, that is considered S1 seed or seed that is selfed 1 time.

An example of a backcross with an f1 would be: (C. sativa 'Panama Red' x C. ruderalis) x C. sativa 'Panama Red which could also be written as (C. sativa 'Panama Red' x C. ruderalis F1) x C. sativa 'Panama Red' where it is understood that the first plant in the equation is always your seed bearer and the second is your pollen donor.

Since your first plant is 100% heterozygous for the autoflower trait and you are crossing to a flower that is 100% homozygous for photoperiod, you can expect 50% of your F1BC1 seed to be homozygous for photoperiod flowers with 50% of your seedlings being heterozygous for the autoflowering trait.

An R1 is similar to an F1, but is simply a cross done with a reversed female rather than regular male pollen. R1 crosses are great as it allows you to cross two female clones of known traits, such as THC concentration, to each other. As those traits are quantitative traits this is a really good way of working those traits forward, but it requires a lot more effort than using a regular male. An R1 is like an f1, but again with the R1 you are using a reversed female to create pollen for your cross rather than using a standard male.

Some will annotate a F1BC1 as simply BC or BX. F1BC2 or F1BX2 are also possible. A BC2 or BX2 depending on how you like to annotate simply means you have crossed back wards to an earlier parent in your line twice.

An example of a BC2, BX2 or F1BC2 would be (Cannabis sativa [('Panama Red' x C. ruderalis) x C. sativa 'Panama Red]' x C. sativa 'Panama Red'. We see the parent plant C. sativa 'Panama Red' is introduced twice into the line.
Thank you for the information. Will call them an R1.

H

How do you know if breeding work was done or not? All 30 seeds could have been produced by a great phenotyped female that took years to find. I simply asked if R1, S1, etc. "Bulk seed stock"....lol.
I know, because you started with 30 seeds, and used pollen from 2 different reversed plants to pollinate 28 other plants, lol. You're not using that imaginary great pheno, you're using its offspring to make more offspring, lol. You just made the gene pool of those seeds become wide open. That's wjat happens when you pollinate several plants. Double that if you use pollen from 2 different plants. That's why it's called "open" pollination, because the gene pool is wide open. Breeding involves selecting certain plants for certain traits, and narrowing down the gene pool to 4 or less total phenos. You now have over 100 phenos in those seeds. You couldn't honestly tell anyone what to expect from those seeds. That's why a said I would personally call them bulk seed stock.

Back