Seedling Veinal chlorosis, ongoing problem with multiple setups

Hey all, figured I'd update. I didn't follow directions exactly, I bought rockwool instead of root riots/rapid rooters, should have read closer. For now I will give these a try before spending more. I've been keeping them as close to 80F/80% humidity as possible. Today is day 3 since I placed them in the cubes, I have 1 set of cotyledons above ground today and 2 more that should be by the end of the day. So far so good, will have to see how they go from here. Normally my issue arose at like day 3 or 4 above ground.
20230409_080128.jpg
Screenshot_20230409_080228.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes we can overthink and over complicate things. HF soil alone should work for 3 to 5 weeks with just water depending on strain with 4 being the average. If you were adding nutes in that time it's quite possible they were over loaded. The idea of paper towels adding chems into the mix is a very good one, been in a few paper mills and the crap they use during production just boggles the mind. I have tried it and have never gotten anything to sprout. You might try simplifying to eliminate as many variables as possible.
I mostly follow a regimen of 24 to 36 hour soak in water with 5 /10 drops of hydrogen peroxide. Then into solo cup with HF ( with drainage holes ) and only water. Water quality is important as well, I use my RO and mix my tap ( from well on limestone aquifer )into it at 50/50. Usuallt does great for around 4 weeks.
:goodluck:

Sometimes we can overthink and over complicate things. HF soil alone should work for 3 to 5 weeks with just water depending on strain with 4 being the average. If you were adding nutes in that time it's quite possible they were over loaded. The idea of paper towels adding chems into the mix is a very good one, been in a few paper mills and the crap they use during production just boggles the mind. I have tried it and have never gotten anything to sprout. You might try simplifying to eliminate as many variables as possible.
I mostly follow a regimen of 24 to 36 hour soak in water with 5 /10 drops of hydrogen peroxide. Then into solo cup with HF ( with drainage holes ) and only water. Water quality is important as well, I use my RO and mix my tap ( from well on limestone aquifer )into it at 50/50. Usuallt does great for around 4 weeks.
:goodluck:
I suppose I didn't word things well enough, the extreme nutes were only added to see if i could make them change at all, even burning to a crisp would have given me information. I am aware they do not need much if any nutrients for the first few weeks. I did a few plain water test plants each run as well. All of the tests were just to see if the outcome would change with a given variable.

This morning my little seedlings are looking really nice, nothing out of the ordinary. I did, however, have the light a little too dimmed and they have stretched because of this. They are about to touch the top of the humidity dome, so I believe I will transplant them this evening. The first true leaves are between 1/2 and 1 inch and plants are looking pretty green. I will post some pictures later after I get back from work. Not fully counting this as solved yet, until I get some time in the big pots and see that they are growing well.

Ok I've got them potted up, the roots looked far better than the ones earlier in the thread. I had wanted to let them sit in the tray for another day or 2 but they were touching the top when I got home. The first 2 pictures are pretty much what 3 of them looked like, the second 2 pictures are the 4th girl, she had some slight discoloring on leaves, but also had the most roots, maybe she gonna be a hungry girl.
20230412_184956.jpg
20230412_185352.jpg
20230412_185614.jpg
20230412_185510.jpg

Ok they've been in ground a few days now, and have had some issues. on day 2 in ground I guess I didn't water in one of them well enough, the dirt sucked all of the water out of the rockwool and killed one plant. Completely my fault, good thing I sprouted 2 extras. I am seeing some discoloring now on a few of them. I'm hoping this is something we can figure out or something they will grow out of, though it looks very similar to the start of the problems in the OP

Background info of this round is:
Soil: Sohum Living Soil (straight out of bag, no alterations)
Light: Mars Hydro FCE-6500 running at 13DLI according to photone app, physical specs: 34" from tallest seedling little under 50% on the dimmer
Temp and Humidity: 78 degrees 65-70% humidity, controlled by ac infinity controller 69 pro and app
Water: watered on initial transplant with distilled water and 1/2 tsp per gallon of recharge, then ph to 6.2

20230416_091641.jpg
20230416_091650.jpg
20230416_091700.jpg
20230416_091657.jpg

Hello As a result of the mixing process, a microbial interaction is established to create the organic food source that results in an environment that is too strong for seeds, starts, seedlings and clones and therefore is NOT recommend using full strength
taken from there web site you are ment to start them in there potting mix the normal stuff is to hot for seedlings that why they look ruff

Ok, so new round. This round I dug out roughly 6 inch x 6 inch deep hole of the living soil and replaced with seed starting mix. I then directly sowed a couple seeds and did a couple seeds with the last of the rockwool i had using the instructions given to me earlier in this thread. Also these were only given dechlorinated tap water pH'd 6.4 with nothing else added. This plant is the first to pop from the direct sow seeds. I believe it broke the surface 3 days ago. The rockwool seeds are not quite ready to go in yet.
20230428_064441.jpg

Hey everyone I'm back. Wish I could say we've figured out my problem, but we haven't. The seedling in the last pic is dead. This run, thinking my light is just too much even at lowest settings, I bought a new light specifically for veg. Hung to manufacturer's specs, photone is saying it runs at ~6 dli. Plants are either direct sown, or in rockwool following instructions earlier in this thread. Once in the pots all plants are receiving only plain water. They are planted into a seedling mix with no nutrients in the soil. I believe these are 9 days old, which if they were healthy should be larger than this.

This is so frustrating. I've wasted probably 60 seeds now, 6 months, and an estimated $1000 and still nothing i change does anything, they all end up looking the same. Please help, what else can I try?
20230506_091439.jpg
20230506_092325.jpg
20230506_092332.jpg
20230506_092318.jpg

Back