Mephisto Genetics Slow growth, is this typical of autos?

Reaction score
This is my first time growing autos.

Do autos usually grow much slower than regular photo-period plants do? Or do they tend to grow very slowly for the first few weeks?

Because everything I have going so far (Mango Smile, Skywalker, CDLC, Strawberry Crumble, and 3BOG X Samsquanch OG) are all growing extremely slowly and with very little vigor.

I'm coming up on 2 weeks since they germinated and they are still only about 1 to 1.5 inch tall, and only a few have their first set of true leaves, the others are just now barely starting to push out their first set of leaves.

So far, these seeds/genetics are by far the slowest growing plants I've ever grown. I'd expect a runt here & there, but every single seedling I have going right now seems like a runt. Just wondering if this is typical of autos or typical of Mephisto genetics?

I hear autos tend to flip into flowering around 3 to 4 weeks after sprouting, I just don't see how a plant that is only 1.5 inches tall and doesn't even have single set of full leaves yet is going to start to flower in 1 to 2 weeks from now?

I'm staying hopeful, but so far for my first time growing autos and first time working with Mephisto genetics I am not impressed at all. Hoping they "take off" sometime soon.

And this isn't my first time growing cannabis...I've done so for several years now and have never had plants grow anywhere as slow as these Mephisto strains are.

This is my first time growing autos.

Do autos usually grow much slower than regular photo-period plants do? Or do they tend to grow very slowly for the first few weeks?

Because everything I have going so far (Mango Smile, Skywalker, CDLC, Strawberry Crumble, and 3BOG X Samsquanch OG) are all growing extremely slowly and with very little vigor.

I'm coming up on 2 weeks since they germinated and they are still only about 1 to 1.5 inch tall, and only a few have their first set of true leaves, the others are just now barely starting to push out their first set of leaves.

So far, these seeds/genetics are by far the slowest growing plants I've ever grown. I'd expect a runt here & there, but every single seedling I have going right now seems like a runt. Just wondering if this is typical of autos or typical of Mephisto genetics?

I hear autos tend to flip into flowering around 3 to 4 weeks after sprouting, I just don't see how a plant that is only 1.5 inches tall and doesn't even have single set of full leaves yet is going to start to flower in 1 to 2 weeks from now?

I'm staying hopeful, but so far for my first time growing autos and first time working with Mephisto genetics I am not impressed at all. Hoping they "take off" sometime soon.

And this isn't my first time growing cannabis...I've done so for several years now and have never had plants grow anywhere as slow as these Mephisto strains are.

what media are you using bro also do you normally grow with seeds with photos or cuttings

I have a batch going now. This pic is from day 13 after sprout (not germ). Forum Stomper, Double Grape, Grape Walker Kush, and Forgotten Cookies. Those are in 5 gallon pots (happy frog soil) in a 4x4. So no, what you’re seeing is not what I’d say is “typical” with meph.

My last grow I did have a Skywalker that started off “runty”, with twisted, elongated cotyledons. I almost culled her as she seemed to just stall… She turned out great, however, and caught up with her tent mates.

Attachments

• C92E4A4E-0D2F-484D-A04C-E3D8D1AD9A19.jpeg
    C92E4A4E-0D2F-484D-A04C-E3D8D1AD9A19.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,113
I grow autos exclusively and cannot speak to photos. Every auto I've grown looks similar to this at two weeks from sprout.
Auto Blueberry Domina. Both 14 days from sprout.

Attachments

• Both 14 days from sprout.JPG
    Both 14 days from sprout.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 964
I would think they should be taller than 1.5 inches at 14 days. What medium are you growing in, was medium pre-charged with nutrients? Did you germinate then plant seedling or seed straight into medium? Water source? PH'd? I'm curious as to why you are experiencing such slow growth. Maybe some experts will chime in. Here are some of my autos' at 14 days. These were/are my first grows. All by FastBuds.

Six Shooter Indoor in 3 gal. pot:
6S Indoor Day 14.JPG

Zkittles Indoor in 3 gal pot:
Zkittles Day 14.jpeg

Six Shooter Outdoor in 5 gal pot:
6S Outdoor Day 14.jpeg

Girl Scout Cookies Indoors in 5 gal pot:
GSC Day 14.jpeg

Here's my Mephisto girls in coco/perlite at day 11, (the bottom 2 are actually day 9).

GroupShotIMG_20210424_211214.jpg

And here they are at day 18/16 right before they were put on the AutoPot system. :pass:

P1-IMG_20210501_213613.jpg

Btw, here's a pic from day 40. Although, you can only see a couple of the plants. :pass:

group-IMG_20210525_172124.jpg

Are you growing inside or outside? I've got some autos that sprouted outdoors from seeds dropped last year that came from a seed run. There was still snow on the ground when they sprouted and the cool temperatures will delay the growth of autos by months and when mature they will be stunted and flower late in my personal experience.

Even cool temperatures inside will slow down growth. I've had outdoor autos take almost four months to finish where indoors under the right lighting with 20/4 light schedule they will finish in around 70 days with the strains I have grown. When I grow outside I usually start inside a tent for about a month under 20/4 and then move outside in the hot longer days of June through August.

What's the temperature like in your grow space?

EDIT: What are you growing them in? Sometimes they just don't like what you've got going on. I have two running right now and one is clearly much happier and the only difference is the soil.

Attachments

• P1030432.JPG
    P1030432.JPG
    894.5 KB · Views: 296
  • P1030435.JPG
    P1030435.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
I have a batch going now. This pic is from day 13 after sprout (not germ). Forum Stomper, Double Grape, Grape Walker Kush, and Forgotten Cookies. Those are in 5 gallon pots (happy frog soil) in a 4x4. So no, what you’re seeing is not what I’d say is “typical” with meph.

My last grow I did have a Skywalker that started off “runty”, with twisted, elongated cotyledons. I almost culled her as she seemed to just stall… She turned out great, however, and caught up with her tent mates.

The size of your plants, as well as pretty much everyone else that posted pics of seedlings around 2-ish weeks, is exactly the size of plant I would expect to see around 2 weeks.

But even my best looking plant, one Mango Smile, isn't quite on par with those.

For folks asking about how I'm growing/media/conditions etc.

I'm growing outdoors. The soil started out as "Roots organic" several years ago, a coco/peat based mix. But over the years it's composition has changed a bit, it has a fair amount of coco & perlite though. And it is "alive", I've been using the same soil for several years now giving it multiple top dressings of various things through out the year. I've grown cannabis in this soil for several years now as well as different vegetables, they all grow just fine.

The seeds were started directly outdoors like I do every year. Daytime temps have been around 75 to 90, overnight it dips down to around 60. Around/a bit over 15 hours of light a day, about 12 hours of which is direct sunlight.

I started these seeds the same way I start seeds every year the past several years, same soil and same climate (actually more sunlight since I started this Month compared to March/April like I usually do with regular photo period plants) I've never seen any plants grow so slowly and so small with such little vigor. They are green/lush looking, just growing extremely slowly.

One of the Mango Smile (I have two going) is looking "ok", still smaller than what I would expect to see this far along but it seems like it is starting to take off. The other one I have going is just now barely starting to push out it's 2nd set of leaves, and it's teeny tiny.

I'll get pics up sometime in the next few days. I was planning on entering the outdoor grow comp on the forums here this year but if these things don't start to take off within the next few days I'm not even going to bother.

Back