Soil/Compost tea question. How early?

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I’m on my very first grow. 2 weeks in and I’m wondering how early I can start feeding them tea. I’ve heard some people say they start when they’re seedlings, others say not until flower.

Is there a ‘best’ time to start feeding them tea?

Personally I use teas from the 2and week or so until a week or so b4 harvest. My grows are organic BTW. I am sure there are as many opinions about this subject as there are about anything in this wonderful world of growing. Not all teas are created equal. Not all plants appreciate the same teas in the same way. Jeff Lowenfels did an interview recently where he suggested that short lived plants such as cannabis prefer a bacteria dominant rhizosphere.
So heavy on the bacteria and light on the fungus. Wheather or not this is correct is probably a matter of opinion at this time. What this means for us is if we are going to realize the most efficacy from out teas is we each need to personally research the tremendous amount of information available and decide what approaches are right for us. I tend to go with my gut. The nice thing about teas is it is hard to cause harm in my experience. Keep it simple. Decide on a tea for veg and a tea for flower. Make sure you have a good pump. I use 2 small pumps as opposed to one big one because that is what I have. I like to brew my teas for 24-36 hours. Also feel that pure clean waterings is important. I hope this helps.
Research research research.

Hi gang,

I’m on my very first grow. 2 weeks in and I’m wondering how early I can start feeding them tea. I’ve heard some people say they start when they’re seedlings, others say not until flower.

Is there a ‘best’ time to start feeding them tea?
IMO It depends on what your soil/compost mix is and what type of tea you're making.. If your compost is mostly worm castings, making a worm casting tea isn't the most ideal. Some composts are rich in bacteria and fungi and could easily get a plant through veg, even flower. I have a living soil mix that I only feed teas to twice from seed to harvest. So to me, it just depends on what is already going on in the soil already.

IMO It depends on what your soil/compost mix is and what type of tea you're making.. If your compost is mostly worm castings, making a worm casting tea isn't the most ideal. Some composts are rich in bacteria and fungi and could easily get a plant through veg, even flower. I have a living soil mix that I only feed teas to twice from seed to harvest. So to me, it just depends on what is already going on in the soil already.
Agreed. I also start with a living soil (to be accurate my last 2 seeds popped in "living soil" which has been cooking for several weeks). I highly encourage tons of research on the subject of teas, microbes, living soils, etc. I am considering trying just living soil and teas for one plants entire grow just to see. Fun.

Thanks. Sounds like I have some researching to do. =)

I started with FF ocean forest. Added some worm castings, bio char etc. Then I put some happy frog on top so the roots would have time to establish before hitting the 'hot' mix.

How do you add seeds to a hot mix without issues? I thought it would burn the roots.

Thanks. Sounds like I have some researching to do. =)

I started with FF ocean forest. Added some worm castings, bio char etc. Then I put some happy frog on top so the roots would have time to establish before hitting the 'hot' mix.

How do you add seeds to a hot mix without issues? I thought it would burn the roots.
I dont want you to think I abandoned you. Unfortunately I dont have your answer. I plant in coco and have no answer as it relates to FF. Sorry.

No worries man. Thanks for the reply!

I dont want you to think I abandoned you. Unfortunately I dont have your answer. I plant in coco and have no answer as it relates to FF. Sorry.

Back