Grow Mediums Tap Water Conditioner

Grim Reefer

DWC & LST
Reaction score
api_52e.jpg

Was just wondering if anyone has ever tried using this to take the chlorine out of the water.?
I was thinking this might be a more effective way instead of having to bubble your water for 24 hours or so.
Im really not sure if it would be safe to use with plants but it seems ok for fish.

Here is the link

Looks like it would work well for those water supplies that use chloramine and not clorine because it doesn't evaporate.

i try to get as much rainwater as i can and use that as it has no chlorine in it ..its what plants love most in my experience and also pH of rain water is good enough to use without additives... not sure if chemicals used to lose other chemicals wont leave a residu behind that could be just as harmfull or even worse .. just be carefull with using chem products to use for cleaning water and check out what reaction will take place and what will be left as side product ;)

Last edited:
Hey grim, years ago, I was a fish breeder.
I used sodium thiosulfate to remove chlorine. I always had healthy systems so I didn't worry much about the ammonia left over when we had to deal with chloramine.
However, we did have sodium formaldehyde bisulfite on hand for brand new systems that had no organic filtration established.

My opinion is, I like the chlorine, it kills a ton of pathogens and dissipates within hours. I have never noticed it causing a problem to my plants.

PS. my tap has chloramine in it, with a fairly high chlorine content in the warmer months.

The product you pictured is ridiculously expensive when compared to the cost from a chemical co.

Looks like it would work well for those water supplies that use chloramine and not clorine because it doesn't evaporate.
Thanks for the comment GoAuto but it says on the bottle it removes both chlorine and chloramine. Im very well aware of how chlorine doesnt evaporate from water sources so this might be the answer to that problem.
i try to get as much rainwater as i can and use that as it has no chlorine in it ..its what plants love most in my experience and also pH of rain water is good enough to use without additives... not sure if chemicals used to lose other cheicals wont leave a residu behind that could be just as harmfull or evenworse .. just be carefull with using chem products to use for cleaning water and check out what reaction will take place and wht will be left as side product ;)

Thanks for the comment Belial. Yes im also very aware of chemicals and the residue they leave behind, i work with them nearly every day. Thats why im posting this thread here in case anyone has ever tried using it or would know for sure of its full effects.

Thanks for the comment GoAuto but it says on the bottle it removes both chlorine and chloramine. Im very well aware of how chlorine doesnt evaporate from water sources so this might be the answer to that problem.

Thanks for the comment Belial. Yes im also very aware of chemicals and the residue they leave behind, i work with them nearly every day. Thats why im posting this thread here in case anyone has ever tried using it or would know for sure of its full effects.

On the front it says that it removes chlorine and breaks the chloramine bond. Which is what Sodium thiosulfate does.
It removes the chlorine and leaves the ammonia that was bound to the chlorine.
If the ammonia is a concern, other chemicals are necessary for that, namely Sodium formaldehyde bisulfite.

Both of these should be readily available online providing tens, if not hundreds of times more product for the same price as the API product.

Hey grim, years ago, I was a fish breeder.
I used sodium sulfate to remove chlorine. I always had healthy systems so I didn't worry much about the ammonia left over when we had to deal with chloramine.
However, we did have sodium formaldehyde bisulfite on hand for brand new systems that had no organic filtration established.

My opinion is, I like the chlorine, it kills a ton of pathogens and dissipates within hours. I have never noticed it causing a problem to my plants.

PS. my tap has chloramine in it, with a fairly high chlorine content in the warmer months.

The product you pictured is ridiculously expensive when compared to the cost from a chemical co.

Thank you Greay Bear for a great detailed reply. Im not really sure if this conditioner contains any of the sulfates you just mentioned.
I agree with your opinion but once the pathogens have been killed by the chlorine or chloramine is there really much of a need to still have that chlorine in your watering can/ res. As you say you notice no difference in your plants health with the chlorine in your water but imagine what they might be like without it in the water source at all.
Im not trying to start an argument with you but i do have to disagree on your point about the price of this conditioner.
The bottle stated only one drop into 3.5 litres, so for 3 euro you get the equivalent 2271 L, to me thats a bargain if there ever was one.
Thanks for sharing your information its much appreciated.

I bred fish for a very long time, water quality is something I have a very good understanding of, both from a scientific perspective and anecdotally.

Chlorine as introduced for antiseptic uses in municipal water treatment, is generally completely dissipated within 24 hours.
Chlorine is preferred by many municipalities in cooler climates, however in warmer areas or during warmer seasons many will uses chloramine due to it's longer lasting antiseptic qualities in those conditions.
Chloramine is chlorine that has been bound to ammonia.
Ammonia does not break down as readily as chlorine and must be removed by biological or chemical methods when it is a concern.

I am pretty sure the API product is Sodium thiosulfate, you should be able to find it on their MSDS sheet.

Like many modern water authorities, mine now uses Chloramine, a mixture of Chlorine and Ammonia, and my drinking waters stinks like bleach.

I fitted a cheap filter to my shower to test it out and it works wonders, no smell tastes softer :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Softener-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3f4473ffdb

I'm now looking at similar solutions for the kitchen water but it's complicated by the fact my landlady won't let me drill holes in the counter top or sink :(

Api tap water conditioner is sodium thiosulfate. I use it in my goldfishes tank and when I am preping the canister filters for the turtle tank. I got animals okay? I use ro water in the salt tanks cause I am always battling micro algae blooms. Good stuff but GB is correct, you can buy it cheaper in generic form. Only issue is getting the dosage right, I'm lazy so I buy the gallon bottle. I think it 's safe to use just check ph and tds. What do you think GB?

Back