New Grower The life cycle of auto flowering cannabis.

Another common question I see is when to switch autos from veg to bloom. Many people are under the impression that as soon as they see the first flowers it's time to switch. Perhaps a little explanation of the life cycle of autos will help to clarify this.

Weeks 1 - 3. Once you've started your seeds and they break the surface of the soil, they are in their seedling stage. The first set of leaves to appear will usually single fingered, followed by a second set that may still be single fingered or perhaps 3 fingered. Once that second set appears growth will start to accelerate as the new leaves provide more photosynthesis. This process will continue, more new leaves, faster growth. Depending on the type of soil in use, mild vegetative nutes can be introduced at week 2. By week 3 most plants will start to show their sex. Males will start to produce pollen sacks and females will display pistols.

Weeks 4 - 6. The plants are now entering a pre flowering stage. During this time the plants should exhibit explosive growth, often as much as a new set of nodes and 1" vertical growth a day. This is the time when they will gain most of their vertical height. Many people make the mistake of switching from vegetative to flowering nutrients at this point, assuming that since they see flowers it must be the proper time. This is incorrect. If the switch to flowering nutes is made at this time the vertical growth will stop and the plant will put it's energy into producing buds. If you need to keep your plants small, or want them to finish earlier, they by all means switch nutes at this point. But if you want to get the most out of your plants continue feeding vegetative nutes until you see the vertical growth slow and stop. Depending on the strain that will usually be sometime during week 5 or 6.

Weeks 7 - 9. By now vertical growth has stopped and the switch to flowering nutrients has been made. The buds will start to fill out and put on weight, becoming hard and tight. Pistols will start to change from white to brown, orange, red, etc. By now the plants will also have developed a strong smell. Toward the end of this phase the large primary and smaller secondary fan leaves will begin to turn yellow. This is an indication that the plant is moving toward the end of it's life.

Weeks 10 - 11. At this time flowering nutes should be discontinued and only plain pHed water fed to flush the remaining nutrients from the soil and improve the taste. Yellowing of the fan leaves will continue as the plant draws the stored energy from them. Eventually they will die and fall off. By the time that the smaller leaves that come from out of the buds will also start to turn yellow. Then it's time to harvest.

I know that many of you are thinking that the seed bank said the plants will finish in 8-9 weeks, so why are you saying they take 10-11? The claims made by the seed banks are somewhat deceptive. If you switch to flowering nutes at week 3 or 4 the plants can finish in the times the seed banks say but they will remain small and not reach their full potential yield. Years of growing by myself and others has shown that autos do best if you follow this time line.

Of course, there will always be variations depending on the strain, the environment, nutrients, etc. This information is meant to only serve as a general guideline.

For more detailed information on when to harvest your plants, please see: https://www.autoflower.org/f44/when-harvest-autos-your-leaves-will-tell-you-4889.html.

NOTE: This is an informational thread. Do not post specific questions about your grow here. Please start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Last edited:
Muddy, thanks for this great info, I think that here were the answers to the questions I asked on my thread, I continue to walk the path.... THANKS!!!!

thank you, I'v read it and it make me so happy I'm just in time with harvest before I'll left to vacation

Great info once again Muddy. You and all the mods and such are awesome!

I just hope I can do you proud! :bow:

ok so what if i gave my plant only 1 feeding of the bloom think it will be ok to switch back and give it grow big i wasnt sure when to give what so when it started budding i assumed giving the other nute.

Great advice Muddy :thread: I'm just like a sponge at the mo!! :thumbs: It's official.... AFN rocks!! :head:

question..im noticing empty seed pods all over the underneath of some of my buds. this is normal, right? ive been searching and cant come up with anything~

Nothing I can say that hasn’t already been said...... but just to recap,

Excellent, Informative, Well written and a must read for every new grower.

I keep coming back to this post, It was the first thing I ever read on AFN and Im using it as my grow bible.

I do have one question regarding something you mention in the article. You use the term “Switch” when talking about flowering nutes.

I am on my first grow and as some of you may know I started adding flowering nutes a few feeds ago, Notice I use the term added not switched.

Do I discontinue adding grow nutes and just add flowering nutes or do I continue combining the two together.
Do you use the term switch literary ?

I am using Biobizz grow and bloom products. The product guide states using both but Being Honest I trust you guys more than the product guide!!

Thanks again for this great post Muddy and to all you fine people in AFN

1st week no nutes.
2nd week Bi root 1/8 strength feed between 50-100 ml max, then follow with equal amounts of PH water.
3rd week Veg nutes at 1/8 strength, micro 1/2 strength
4th week Veg nutes at 1/8 strength, bio root 1/2 strength, humic acid 1/4 strength NPK present. 9-5-7
5th week Veg nutes at 1/4 strength, micro 1/8 strength. This week I do a CA,MG along with a black strap & guano tea between feedings.1 tsp per 2 LTR.
6th week Veg Nutes at 1/4 strength, Humic acid 1/2 strength.
7th week Veg nutes at 1/4 strength, micro 1/8 strength, CA,MG,Bo with black strap 1 tsp per 2 LTR.
8th week Veg Nutes at 1/8 strength, Bloom at 1/8, bio root, Between feedings do a guano tea and black strap tea.
9th week Bloom at 1/4 strength, Humic acid at 1/4 strength, black strap 1 tsp per 2 ltr. CA if needed last chance.
10th week Bloom at 1/2 strength,black strap.
11th week 6.3 PH water
12th week 6.3 PH water

Stop all watering pull plant from grow room and place in cool dark room for three days, room must stay dark no peaking in.Room must have ventilation to not build humidity, Keeping the room @ 20%- 25 humidity.

This is my schedule I came up with, how's it look guys/gals, kinda would like more input on black strap usage. I noticed the sooner and more I use the faster the trich development becomes. I'm aware it can nute lock FE due to the carbo.

Back