Thrip Pics FYI

Heavily Medicated

I Grow, Therefore I Am
Reaction score
Developed a thrip problem on my Vision Northern Lights Auto. Got them right off the bat at seedling, didn't realize what I had until about day 20 when I noticed the leaf spotting moving onto newer leaves. Don't really know how one first gets a thrip infestation, but I am going to try using a product called spinosad to get them under control. I will inlude a few pics of the plant leaves too so you can better recognize symptoms.
VNL Day 25b.JPG
VNL Day 25c.JPG
VNL Day 16a.JPG
VNL Day 16b.JPG

Thrip.jpg
Thrip1.jpg
Thrip2.jpg
Thrip3.jpg

Last edited:
:toke: HM, Pete-- :pass:
... HM, dem's thrips alright!:cuss: My #1 nemesis outdoors every year,... Adults can fly, so that might be how they got in there in the first place; they lay eggs in/on the plant, larvae hatch and feed, then go through a sort of pupae stage in the soil, but don't feed at that time, so contaminated soil might be another source,... they are highly mobile, fast, even evasive when you scout for them! :finger: Often, i see the damage, but no suspects around at the time, little fuckers! :rofl: So, it's a war, not a battle, but not as brutal by far as mites are, thank the green gods! :thumbsup:The Spinosad is what I use, in conjunction with Azamax or pure neem oil, and some diatomaceous earth for the soil surface,... alternate treatments a few days apart over a week or so, to cover generational changes and any new comers or others lingering in the tent...Keep in mind, both of these products are not instant contact killers, they take a day or so to kill, but sicken them fast, so they stop feeding soon after exposure; Spinosad is a neurotoxin derived from an obscure bacterium, and Azamax is derived from Neem, of course,... Do a good clean up in there, vacuum the sides or wipe them down to clear out hiders,...cracks, crevices, under shit, they will hide and well! --give them nothing...:amazon::hothot: .... pics are larval thrips, so adults are around somewhere :eek1:... oh, sticky traps- yellow or blue- will help nail fliers and allow you to assess their presence to some degree,... :tang:-Happy Hunting mate!

**** EDIT**** :thumbsup:-- here's a great link to thrip info, found by HM- http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html

Last edited:
HM I put a sticky on this thread....thank you for documenting this especially with pics. With your pics and documenting the atreatment along with the always wise words of @Waira I believe a lot of people will benifit from this thread. :slap:

:jointman: Thanks A-Train and Pete for the help and rep'! Much obliged,...:cheers: ....I forgot to harp on about using a wetting agent/water spreader along with anything you spray! :doh: -- Green Poison was slappin' me around at that point- :rofl: -- Anyway, this stuff will really help increase penetration and coating on them vermins, facilitating a more speedy death! In fact, with any sort of foliar application, this stuff is the ticket; spray goes on nice and even, and sticks instead of beading up and rolling off,... for feeds/defc. treatments, the more surface area covered = more absorbed! ...be sure to spray leaf bottoms for sure, there are more stomata there vs. topside,.... and thrips will hang out on tops and bottoms of leaves!

Made it into town today and did not find any spinosad, but did come up with 70% neem oil, some diatomacious earth, and some sticky traps. @Waira how much diatomatcious earth do you put over the surface, just a dusting or a solid layer??? Do you have go reapply the diatomacious earth each time after feeding the plant? The label on the neem calls for 2-4 tbs neem/gallon water, this seem right? Figured I go with the high rate. Also, what stage do thrips overwinter as? I am guessing as pupae in the soil? I think I got these thrips out of the Promix. The Promix had been frozen solid out in the garden shed at often subzero temps. Could they have been in there and came out of overwintering when I brought it inside and warmed it up?
GEDC0369.JPG
GEDC0370.JPG
GEDC0371.JPG

:headbang: That'll do! My bad, should have mentioned that the spinosad isn't a product/brand name, it's listed as active ingredient...Home Despot :)haha:) and other places likely will have something like Captain Jack's Dead Bug, or maybe Monterey Garden Insect Spray (conc.),... other brands too, regional differences and all that! But the neem extract will do fine for now, just follow directions, and go mid-strength to test the plants tolerance; it's okay if it gets in the soil too.... this product sounds closer to Azamax, a neem derivative... The DE goes on like your really powdering the hell out of a donut- LOL! ... about 1/8" deep is fine for starters, then scratch it into the upper layer lightly, and retop lightly... it'll get mixed in and slopped around as you water, no stopping that...there's nothing in there harmful to the plant/microbes, or dissolvable...DE itself is made from the glassy (literally) structures single cell algae build up around themselves, which form a sediment over time... it looks like that product has other stuff in it too (inert), likely, anti-caking agents and such,... it's messy stuff! I use a fairly course strainer (wire mesh) to apply it, shake and tap, no breezes- don't breath it! Reapply occasionally, just don't go nuts, you don't want to form a clay-ish layer on the surface,... :thumbsup: So, commence to killin'!! :amazon: :hothot::poof:

Day 27 Began treatment with a soaking with neem oil solution, 1/2 tbs/16 oz water, until dripping both the tops and bottoms of the leaves and the whole plant dripping. Put in the sticky traps and I am going to wait until after work today to apply the diatomacious earch when everything has dried good. Plan to reapply treatment twice per week for two weeks then check for survivors. @Waira I thank you for your help.

Attachments

• GEDC0372.JPG
    GEDC0372.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 359
  • GEDC0373.JPG
    GEDC0373.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 357
  • GEDC0374.JPG
    GEDC0374.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 340
:pass:Glad to help HM, how's the battle going? The new growth looks great, no vermin signs I can see:d5:,... Did you find a spinosad product yet? As with most any pest fight, using more than one type of weapon works best-- ass-kicking 1-2 punch! You probably won't need it now, but it's good to have around,... I like spinosad because it leaves less residues than neem products, important when you have a infestation during bloom,... :greenthumb:Way to put the beat-down on the vermins mate! :slap:

Back