Tincture Thread

Ribbzzy

Trig, why'd you aways call me Dave?
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Just a thread that revolves around tincture. Have you had experiences with it, have you made it, do you make it/consume it on a regular basis? Post recipes, stories, photos. Lets try and spread the word, a little bottle of homemade herb tincture should be in the cabinet of as many people as possible.

I started my journey yesterday! I'm hooked already! I followed the recipe @912GreenSkell posted up, (who is a little bit of a tincture samurai) and things could not be easier. A small amount of herb, a little strong alcohol, an hours work, and the result is enough tincture to last a good 2-3 weeks, and it's a whole new world of high. I've been smoking for 20 years, and last night was an eye opener, to say the least. Heres the recipe, I hope I'm not pissing anyone off by copying and pasting this
The Definitive Green Dragon (Revised)

Here is the very successful result of a considerable amount of research into the elusive and magical Green Dragon.

This is a simple and efficient 4 Step process.

Requirements:
1/8oz high quality cannabis
2 oz Bacardi Rum – 151 proof, or 195 everclear

Process Summary:

1. Chop cannabis very fine (coffee grinder works great)

2. Place in a shallow pan (a sheet of aluminum foil works great) and bake at 250F for 25 minutes.

3. Remove from oven and place cannabis in 2 oz of 151 proof rum (use a small wide mouth mason jar)

4. Simmer in a water bath for 20 minutes. Maintain temperature of the rum/cannabis mixture between 168 - 170°F.

5. Strain the mixture and store.

Dosage:
One milliliiter (one full eyedropper) is very nice. Two puts you in space. But you must self-titrate (test it on yourself) as each batch will be slightly different. Effects take up to 1.5 hours to begin (at least in myself) and lasted for 5 hours (1 dropper) to 7-8 hours (2 droppers).

I place one eyedropper (1ml) of Green Dragon in a small glass. I then add a small amount of water (1-2 ml) and drink. Do this on an empty stomach for best results (about 20-30 minutes before eating a main meal is good).

Process details—references and rationalizations:
1. Chop the cannabis
More surface area gives means a faster and more efficient extraction.

2. Bake the cannabis.
This converts THCA to THC via a decarboxylation reaction.

In whole-plant cannabis, THC content is expressed as THCA (tetrahydrocannabolic acid) prior to decarboxylation into THC, which takes place when cannabis is heated in the oven, and smoked or vaporized ingestion. THCA is a mild analgesic and anti-inflammatory but does not have good affinity with our CB1 receptors, so in order to make a THC-rich tincture that has many of the same therapeutic effects as smoked ingestion (including rapid absorption, quick relief and ease of self-titration), we must convert the THCA in the plant matter into THC prior to extracting it through an alcohol soak. (from Vancouver Island Compassion Society http://thevics.com/cannamist.htm)

THC vaporizes at about 380°F. We want to heat the cannabis to convert THCA to THC, but keep the temperature under 380°F. That is why 325°F is used. Between four and five minutes your oven (and house) will start to smell very strong. This is the time to remove the cannabis from the oven.

Notice also that there is considerable misinformation regarding heating the cannabis. It is true that you don't have to heat it to extract both THC and THCA, but the amount of THC in whole plant preparations is relatively small compared to after decarboxylation of the THCA. So if you want to maximize the strength of your tincture you must heat the cannabis prior to extraction.

3. Use the highest proof alcohol available.
Where I live this is Bacardi 151. The more alcohol the more efficient the extraction will be.

4. Simmer the mixture.
This is one of the areas that seems to be most debated. Many guides call for placing the normal cannabis into the alcohol and waiting 2 – 6 weeks. The main concern with heating the alcohol is that it is “explosive” (not exactly true...it is however flammable).

The purpose of the simmering is to heat the alcohol mixture to improve extraction rates and efficiencies. Heating during extraction increases the motion of the molecules (basic physics/chemistry) and drastically decreases extraction times. The boiling point of pure ethanol is 173°F (78°C). We will use the water bath to heat the rum/cannabis mixture to just below the boiling point of ethanol.

Heating the alcohol mixture can be done very safely using a hot water bath. You will need an accurate candy or quick read thermometer. Place about 1 inch of water in a wide, vertical-edged pan (9” diameter x 3” high). Bring the water to a low simmer. The rum/cannabis mixture should be in a small (1 pint) mason jar. Do NOT cover the jar.

Put the thermometer into the mason jar and place into the simmering water bath. Bring the temperature of the rum/cannabis mixture to about 170°F. The alcohol should be just barely boiling.

You should have the oven fan on high. You will notice that any alcohol fumes are mixed with water vapor from the water bath and vented out the fan. This combined with the fact that you are trying not to boil the ethanol makes the process quite safe.

5. Strain and store.
When you are finished with the extraction you will be left with about 1oz of green dragon tincture after you have strained the extract. Notice that one ounce of the alcohol has evaporated. See the tips below for a good way to strain the tincture.

A standard eyedropper will transfer about 1ml (or 1 gram) of liquid. There are 29 milliliters in one ounce. So you should end up with about 30 or so full eyedroppers (30 milliliters) of Green Dragon.

The liquid should be dark brownish-green and smell like cannabis.

6. Dosage. Titration.
Everybody is different. It takes me between 30-90 minutes to feel the effects of Green Dragon (depending on how much food is in my stomach).

I had tried a tincture someone had made using the cold extraction method with the same amount of cannabis and found that 5 ml (5 full eyedroppers) did pretty much nothing.

Using my Green Dragon technique I find that one dropper will bring effects on in 30-90 minutes and last 5 hours with 1.5 hours of lingering aftereffects.

Two droppers gave me a "spiritual dose" (as strong as any brownie I ever had). Effects lasted 7-8 hours with lingering effects for 2 more hours.

This means that 1/8oz of good cannabis yields about 30-34 doses of tincture (1 dropperful is really all I need)

I made a double portion, more than enough to keep me and couple of my work mates occupied for a while.

Awesome bud!! The original recipe was posted by the founder of Highrise seeds (username Cres/Krk) and I have been using it for many batches of tincture using several dozen varieties of bud.

From a medical perspective , this shit is a miracle cure. The trick is finding the right variety for your medical issues. I deal with 24/7 severe chronic pain due to ruptured discs in the upper neck, along with several other throwback issues like anxiety, insomnia, depression, scoliosis in the mid spine. Ive toked weed for almost 30 years and no amount of toking can touch the pain. As a psychological distraction smoking works great, but as far as actually taking pain away positive results have been minimal.

So a special thanks goes out to @StickMan. I read stickmans posts several years ago and saw he was having great results for his pain using portal dragon strains and especially tincture. If it wasn't for stickman, there is a good chance i never would have joined the online world of cannabis. Seriously stick....thanks for that man.

Like everything I do, I rush in head first with some serious tenacity!! First thing to overcome was the damn booze.....you simply cannot buy high test booze here. Nothing over 151 exists in our country, or at least nowhere within 1000 miles. I was fortunate to have a friend that goes to the states every year and she agreed to pick me up a bottle of 151 or 190 everclear. The instant i get the bottle i am right fired up to make a batch, and of course i do at the first opportunity!! I follow the directions already laid out. Easy to make for sure. An hour goes by and I have a batch.

So i have a friend that has similar spine issues to me and this old friend(70+ years old) has been a chronic toker for over 50 years. I tell him that this stuff is said to be crazy powerful and to start with a 1ML tester batch to see how the effects are before upping the dose. I go home and come back to watch the ball game with my friend around hmm maybe 8-9. I don't notice that my friend is not talking much at all(though often we don't have a whole lot to say...lol) So i get up to grab a drink, and when i am on my way back my friend gets up and pretty much walks right into me and mumbles something to the effect of "ahh i have to go to bed". I am thinking that he worked super hard and is messed up form the excessive workload of the day. I go home and take my 1ml and catch a really good buzz, not overpowering, and I know I can handle more next time. So the next morning i go to my friends place and he says something to the effect of "holy shit, that tincture is crazy! Were you here last night?" ummm i was staggered "Dude i took a 1ml and caught a great buzz,ummmm how much did you take???" We go to his desk where he keeps it, grabs out the measuring syringe holds it up and says "I took one, like you said!!"....I reply with "Oh you jackass, i told you to take one milliliter, not a whole fucking syringe". My friend goes on to tell me that it was "nearly a religious experience" for him, and also a total out of body experience(hence the barely realizing i was there). What a jackass!! Takes a 4ml syringe the first time. I ask him how he slept, and he tells me that it was the best round of sleep he has had in over 20 years.

So now my own experiences. I am very observant to the varied effects, and my there is some really varied effects!! So i generally start every batch i make with 2ml to feel full effects, and then i decide if i want to step over the line with 3ml or higher doses.

This is my high dose (3ml) varied effects so far
Green Poison Blackstone/stone dragon - Within an hour you start to get really high, but it quickly extends into a trance like state which literally forces me to sleep. Great stuff for the purpose!! In lower controlled doses the effect is not so amplified and it does no force sleep. Great muscle and nerve pain control.

Think Fast/Citrus Noir - Floating euphoric feeling, this stuff has been key for me. I have come closest to out of body experiences on these two varieties. I am gonna throw down a quick personal experience story using the think fast.

So i go Ice fishing super early one morning....with the messed up spine fishing all day hurts bad, and by the end of the day(dawn until dusk fish) I am hurting bigtime. I was certainly dehydrated from fishing. I eat some dinner with my wife and around 9pm I take a good strong dose of tincture taking 3.5ml of think fast GDT, and come to my office upstairs to do some AFN stuff and toke a bunch of vape bags. Before i know it, its 12 midnight, and i am just wasted. I go downstair to the kitchen to get something to eat and some drinks...i was literally stumbling around like i was back in my booze drinking days(laughing the whole time how fucked up I was), and then i realized the simple truth. My pain was 90% gone, which after a whole day of fishing outside all day was absolutely unheard of!! Since then i have had several experiences with various types of tincture, I was force fed all of these opiates and other painkillers and not once did they ever hit my severe pain like the tincture did!!

Not every variety is a nice kind buzz though!! I have had some adverse effect testing high dose tinctures. Oh yes...now would be a great time to talk to you guys about high dose tincture. High dose is a relative term....so I take up to 4ml in a single shot, and I often take 2-3ml during the day and work. Realize that i am 200 pounds in weight. I have had some other folks take 1ml and be just blasted, some even reporting the effects heavily in the morning.(these are folks that don't toke though) Weight and tolerance do play a point to some degree, and you should be mindful of that if you are panning on pushing the limits with tincture. If you only weigh 100 pounds soaking wet and attempt to take 4ml, you are not going to have a good time!! remember this......its a hell of alot easier to take tincture than to (un)take it!!

Okay so adverse effects. A very few varieties i have done have had adverse effects. Rushes of "oh shit i took too much" paranoia feelings are not very enjoyable, nor is the rapid heartbeat effect that a couple of varieties have brought out. Those with heart conditions, should be weary and start low to feel the effects before rising to 2 or more ML. One variety i did the increased heartbeat was concerning for me, 100 mile an hour heartbeats that feel like your heart is going to pound through your ribs isn't very enjoyable. Know your buzz effect at a lower dosage, before you get crazy with this stuff. Trust me. Also be careful with duration after dosing...on an empty stomach it takes usually 30-40 minutes before you start to feel any real strong effects. With food in your stomach it could take as long as 2 hours to feel full effects. Don't assume that "its not working" an hour after taking it, and take more. Give it time to sink in.

Okay recreational use - this is two fold....a recreational miracle(for those with common sense), and a recreational nightmare(for those without common sense). Lets throw down some math. It takes 4grams of weed to make a batch of 30ml of tincture. 30ML could get you high 10 times for 8 hours(3ml doses)......wait a second....for 4 grams? I could smoke 4 grams easily in a day!! Seriously....i was, and am blown away by the power of the GDT!! Honestly, if GDT ended up at a party and guys were "manning up" and taking 10ml or more, the scene would turn to shit really quickly.

Ingestion - Alright...so the recipe says take it under the tongue....the first time i did it that way...seriously, its like drinking pure fire!! Hot damn, does it burn, and the taste? Wow....terrible flavour!! Never again did i do it that way!! From that point on i started mixing it in a bit of water, gradually increasing the amount of water to dilute it, and gradually increasing the amount of water as time went by to cut the taste. I now take it in a half glass of cold water, and i also follow up with a full glass of water after i chug the GDT in a half glass. I find no matter what variety of GDT I make, I get seriously dried out.

I have more i want to add to this....will finish later

OK so it says simmer in a water bath but talks about an oven fan. Did you do it on the hob or in the oven?
"Oven fan" is referring to the exhaust fan above the stove . I think that should be clarified but not sure what the right word is

OK so it says simmer in a water bath but talks about an oven fan. Did you do it on the hob or in the oven?

I could see how that could be confused!! The hot water simmer is done on the stove top. You know what? I am going to message cres, and ask if he would mind a slight rewrite of the process.

Back