:tip: DIY Worm Farm For Under £20!

Nice thread!
I recently started a worm bin myself. I feed mine ground up crabshell, with some eggshell, azomite, and cormeal mixed in. I also add used coffe sometimes too. They seem to love it.
What are you using for grit?

The coffee used grounds are better than the corn meal! only manure is higher in nitrogen. They need some greens too to help balance the carbon to nitrogen ratio. Not a lot needed but a little thawed spinach in my bin every week or so. Just a handful.

They LOVE the corn meal and im trying to focus on producing high chiten castings. I do add a good bit of coffee and veg waste but I want them eating a lot of crabmeal. I use about a 50/40/10 mix of cornmeal, crabmeal, and other ingredients like rockdust, greensand, coffee, and/or foodscraps.

Im not a pro at vermiculture by any means but I have done my research and my worms seem to be responing well to my mix.

Whats everyone else use? As grit or food..

Will worms use up the left over root systems.This sounds like a good way to freshen up used soil,can I possibily throw a few worms into a bin of old soil,with a a few kitchen scraps,and recycle my soil.Or perhaps a website with more vermiculture directed at growing pot.Somewhere on here I read someone just threw a few of the right kind of worms in his old pots.But try as I might I cannot find it again.Thanks

Subbed in for the worm grow. Now, what does a worm casting look like? When I go fishing, can I use the old soil,worm medium, or does the worms stop producing castings when they are refridgerated ?

They LOVE the corn meal and im trying to focus on producing high chiten castings. I do add a good bit of coffee and veg waste but I want them eating a lot of crabmeal. I use about a 50/40/10 mix of cornmeal, crabmeal, and other ingredients like rockdust, greensand, coffee, and/or foodscraps.

Im not a pro at vermiculture by any means but I have done my research and my worms seem to be responing well to my mix.

Whats everyone else use? As grit or food..

My bedding is recycled soil, roots and all. I feed then food scraps, but mostly pumpkin and coffee grounds right now as I bought about 50 pounds of fresh pumpkin at halloween for $4.00 and cut them up and froze them. I give them ground egg shells and a little sand for gritI also shred my paper towels and the occassional newspaper and toss it in.

Subbed in for the worm grow. Now, what does a worm casting look like? When I go fishing, can I use the old soil,worm medium, or does the worms stop producing castings when they are refridgerated ?
the worms stop doing much of anything when coldIt takes about 90 days fpr the worms to covert food and bedding into casting, that of course depends on the size of your bin and how many worms you have. I started with about 1000. I probably have at least double that now

That's a lot of fishing bait Pop! Seriously, I wonder if it would be beneficial to make a tea from the leftover worm medium that's left in a worm bait container, (lots of people just throw them down and I myself have thrown leftover worms and medium in the water).

That's a lot of fishing bait Pop! Seriously, I wonder if it would be beneficial to make a tea from the leftover worm medium that's left in a worm bait container, (lots of people just throw them down and I myself have thrown leftover worms and medium in the water).

Well I'd put it in my worm bin or you could mix it right into soil soil too because bacteria in the soil will break it down slowly, adding carbon, etc to the soil.

Well I'd put it in my worm bin or you could mix it right into soil soil too because bacteria in the soil will break it down slowly, adding carbon, etc to the soil.

Well ok then! All I got to do now is get off my lazy arse ... hmmm, I think I'll wait till winter is over and start thinking about doing it then ;

Last edited:
Back