TLO: For dummies, from a dummy.

No worries then...that mix is already over there. :D

And it is NOT as comprehensive a soil as previously mentioned, however, it is a great and easy starting point IME for people ready to go organic...:thumbs:

Thanks again for a great thread x, broken down into layman's very well...:clap:

however, it is a great and easy starting point IME for people ready to go organic...:thumbs:
If this thread doesn't accomplish anything else, I would hope for people to understand a couple things:

We can throw just about anything in the mix, that's good for the microbes... as long as we give them enough time to cook everything...

But, all we need for it to work are some very basic ingredients. I heartily endorse starting with a simple mix to get started... it will still provide excellent results, again, so long as we let the microbes cook long enough.

I should mention: If you would like to know the science behind what we're doing, there is a vast library of organic growing references in the Organic Forum stickies. I'm not against science, but those "why" things are the type details that aren't that important to me... but, that's just me. We didn't have an organics forum when I started... so, I followed DIRT's posts and searched the web.

I honestly approach this thing exactly as I have presented it.

To bring it a little closer to home...

When I research amendments, I have the same mindset as if I were walking through a fresh produce market. If I see something appealing and I don't already have it, I put some in the cart. If I'm out of something, I get some more. I already have a great spice selection (minerals) but, if I see something appealing I don't have already, I put it in the cart and replace anything I may have run out of. I take the stuff home, and an army of master chefs patiently prepare all the food. The result being a vast combination of appetizers, entree's, baked goods, and desserts... available 24/7 for guests (plants).

A quick visit to L3v3r's recipe gave me most of the answers.

So, what do you use for a crock pot? How often do I stir? Covered or uncovered?
Aerobic or anaerobic? Am I still aiming for the same ph numbers?
HUH?? :shrug:

Just teasing... those are very valid questions.

So, what do you use for a crock pot?
That depends on how many guests you're cooking for. :D I use a large 80 gal. storage container/bin. For my needs, it is adequate. I can mix 30-40 gals of compost at a time, which is plenty for my needs. If you're growing on a smaller scale, use a smaller bin. On a larger scale, I've seen people use a pick-up truck bed, children's swimming pool, even a canvas tarp laid on the ground.

How often do I stir?
I don't stir. (maybe I should but I never have)

Covered or uncovered?
Uncovered... if your bin is exposed to the elements, cover it when it rains.

Aerobic or anaerobic?
I don't know. I'm pretty sure I don't need to.

Am I still aiming for the same ph numbers?
The first time I made a batch of L3K's mix, I asked him the same thing, and he told me he had never checked it. I checked the batch I made and it was 6.5. That was about 16-18 months ago. I'm still using the same mix, re-amended a few times, and I haven't checked it since. I haven't had the courage to use water that has not been properly buffered. But, I have very strong indications, relative to the experience of other TLO growers, that would indicate it is not necessary to buffer the water pH. I will be testing that in my next grow.

Anecdotally speaking...

A tarp works great, especially if you have an extra set of hands...you can just pick up the corners and fold the mix into itself a few times. :thumbs:

I like to stir and lightly water (think barely moist) every week...but that's just me.

Aerobic is your friend. Anaerobic bad.

I have NEVER pH'ed organic soil. Ever. Once. Not saying you shouldn't, but I haven't, and with fine results. Also, my outdoor organics have never had the water pH'ed either. No ill effects.

:2cents:

lightly water (think barely moist) every week
I may not get to it every week, but I don't let it stay dry on the top long. This is a good time to add a little azamax every month or so, IMO. I will also water in a little kelp/humic/filvic acid sometimes... Just a small dose.

By the way, I should mention that my compost bin has holes on the sides... I would stir if it were in a bin with no fresh air access.

Looks like I'll be starting a canna and a microbe grow at month end.

If the container is kept outside and uncovered most of the time, will pests be a problem?

Back