Turning a shoddy shed into a groovy ganja growroom

Part four, CO2 delivery.

Now, as you all already know, CO2 is heavier than air, so it needs to be delivered from above the plants for maximum efficiency.
I've been pondering a simple cheap solution ... and the idea hit me when I was checking the electrical conduit I installed for the electrics to the shed a few months back.

Plastic electrical conduit.

Water-tight, so logically gas-tight too, and cheap as chips (fries), plus easy to install and drill holes in:
V.jpg

I'm using the slope of the roof to my advantage, by installing the tubes so that the delivery flows downwards, requiring less pressure to push it through the tubes.
The ends were soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and clamped with G-clamps. Not a total seal, but I'll come onto that in a minute.

What's wrong with the above picture?

Well spotted. The holes are pointing downwards, and as everyone knows a compressed gas released at atmospheric pressure gets very cold.
Pushing it down a narrow tube full of air into a warm environment is only going to create condensation in the tube and with holes pointing downwards, the condensed water will drip from these onto the plants and we don't want that.

Simple solution, turn the pipes 90 degrees and drill some more holes in the other side. Let the gas come out of the sides of the tube and with the crimped ends now vertical, any water excess in the pipe will drip out of these instead.

I wanted to keep the gas bottle outside the growroom, next to the shed door for convenience:
W.jpg
X.jpg

Much easier to change and I couldn't have got one through the growroom door anyway!

All theory, so we'll see if it works soon enough.
Next up, part five, the fucking electrics! Zzzzzapppp.

Ubud Volt :baked:

Part four, CO2 delivery.

Now, as you all already know, CO2 is heavier than air, so it needs to be delivered from above the plants for maximum efficiency.
I've been pondering a simple cheap solution ... and the idea hit me when I was checking the electrical conduit I installed for the electrics to the shed a few months back.

Water-tight, so logically gas-tight too, and cheap as chips (fries), plus easy to install and drill holes in:
View attachment 639235
I'm using the slope of the roof to my advantage, by installing the tubes so that the delivery flows downwards, requiring less pressure to push it through the tubes.
The ends were soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and clamped with G-clamps. Not a total seal, but I'll come onto that in a minute.

Well spotted. The holes are pointing downwards, and as everyone knows a compressed gas released at atmospheric pressure gets very cold.
Pushing it down a narrow tube full of air into a warm environment is only going to create condensation in the tube and with holes pointing downwards, the condensed water will drip from these onto the plants and we don't want that.

Simple solution, turn the pipes 90 degrees and drill some more holes in the other side. Let the gas come out of the sides of the tube and with the crimped ends now vertical, any water excess in the pipe will drip out of these instead.

I wanted to keep the gas bottle outside the growroom, next to the shed door for convenience:
View attachment 639236 View attachment 639237
Much easier to change and I couldn't have got one through the growroom door anyway!

Mannnnnnn you are now making ME jealous lol, I am going to be burning LP heaters to keep my space warm at night cause it gets reallllllly cold here at night, one of the things that I have been trying to get my head around is that heat rises and cO2 falls, so it is a matter of physics for me. I either have to blow the cO2 up or the heat down. For logistical purposes I am going to put the heaters on the floor and blow the cO2 up to the plants. I also used the great stuff foam stuff to seal literally almost every single crack and gap in the place, that was a pain in the arse! Great job, you really are rocketing up my favorite people on afn list. I am totally digging what you are doing. Hey @pop22 check this dude here out. I think @briman would also approve for sure.

You may want to check whether or not the plastic used to make the conduit might be reactive to CO2 . Some gases can be corrosive with some materials. Always good to check when using saomething for a purpose its not designed for, just to be safe.
Part four, CO2 delivery.

View attachment 639235

View attachment 639236 View attachment 639237

This is where I'm up to as of today, so you may have to wait a few weeks for the next instalment.
Thanks for the compliments @derek420colorado .. very much appreciated.

I've got heating and air circulation already covered ... I have an excellent piece of kit I've been using in my greenhouse this summer and it's the dog's nuts. Planning on using it indoors in the shed over winter:
BioGreen.JPG

I've had it on the 1Kw setting (it goes up to 2.8!) and it hasn't even kicked up a sweat yet. Air circulation is very impressive, it's designed for orchids and such like where temp variations in the orangerie are critical. Highly recommended.
My super skunks in the greenhouse are totally bud-rot free. He said, smugly ..!!

Happy Bud :baked:

This is where I'm up to as of today, so you may have to wait a few weeks for the next instalment.
Thanks for the compliments @derek420colorado .. very much appreciated.

I've got heating and air circulation already covered ... I have an excellent piece of kit I've been using in my greenhouse this summer and it's the dog's nuts. Planning on using it indoors in the shed over winter:
View attachment 639241
I've had it on the 1Kw setting (it goes up to 2.8!) and it hasn't even kicked up a sweat yet. Air circulation is very impressive, it's designed for orchids and such like where temp variations in the orangerie are critical. Highly recommended.
My super skunks in the greenhouse are totally bud-rot free. He said, smugly ..!!

Happy Bud :baked:

We have, the person I consider the smartest on AFN, @Waira who grew prize winning orchids for a living, actually he still might come to think of it. If you ever have a sick plant he is the MAN

You may want to check whether or not the plastic used to make the conduit might be reactive to CO2 . Some gases can be corrosive with some materials. Always good to check when using saomething for a purpose its not designed for, just to be safe.

Dude, thanks for pointing that out, it's not something that comes on the advertised specs ... 'suitable for ganja CO2 release' ..!
It cost under ten bucks, took half an hour to install and will take even less to remove.
I have a feeling it'll be fine, so I'll try it out, and if it doesn't work, hey .. no big deal.
I won't be using it for a while, need to test-run the growroom first, but in the meantime I'll research the materials and their CO2 suitability as best I can and get back to you ...

Bud in Thought :baked:

Oh, by the way, I do take all your comments seriously ... I can't think of everything, that's why I'm posting it all up here in the hope that some peeps more clever than I will point out the weaknesses.
Off to bed to dream about LEDs now!

Bud Exhausted :baked:

Oh, by the way, I do take all your comments seriously ... I can't think of everything, that's why I'm posting it all up here in the hope that some peeps more clever than I will point out the weaknesses.
Off to bed to dream about LEDs now!

Bud Exhausted :baked:

If you are looking into LED's I also suggest looking into LECs, jusssssssst in case your mind wasn't already goin 1000 miles an hour about what lighting to use

Back