Turning a shoddy shed into a groovy ganja growroom

Bud Wiser UK

This Bud's for you!
Reaction score
Outdoor, indoor? ... where's shed-growing go?

For my second post ... not so much a guide as a 'this-is-how-far-I've-got' project-still-under-construction, and I'm splitting it into parts. I wanted to start growing indoors under lights, but I don't have a useable attic or cellar and I didn't fancy a tent in the corner of my living room, so the only option open to me was the garden shed. It's been mainly a carpentry affair so far .. so enjoy the ride, the renovations have been made with growing weed in mind.

Also, I've never done this before, in fact, I've never even grown under lights before, so this is a bold step for me .. and there will be blood! I'm working with theories, forums, books, basic physics and Google, along with a smattering of engineering and outdoor-growing experience. My plan is to grow some autos and photos in the greenhouse May-Oct and grow autos-only in the shed under lights Nov-April .. winter's best because in the summer the shed gets too hot to grow, and it's much easier to heat a room up than to cool one down.

You'll need: a garden shed, carpentry skills or a mate with some, a shitload of timber, OSB boarding and nails (don't forget the nails like I did!), a reliable tape-measure (important), another mate with some power-tools you can borrow if you don't own any, and a few days of good weather. Oh, and some bucks! Well, actually, more than some, because you've got electrics, equipment and insulation to add to the total bill further down the road, that's if you're serious.

Anyway, back to the build. Part one, the roof.
This was the starting point:
A.jpg

The roof was leaking, the walls were damp and the floor sloped. But it was a solid timber-frame construction and with a little love, she could be saved. The roof was the main issue, because that was what was causing all the other problems, so I set about fixing it with a completely new roof, with enough strength to support lights of all types and a bit more water-proof than the last one (hopefully).

As the shed was warped and parts were rotten, and with the UK weather being as reliable as a politician's promises, I decided to build my roof on the ground first, then just lift it on. This allowed me to build a solid well-constructed nice-and-true roof that weighed a fucking ton!:
B.jpg

The sheeting isn't fixed by the way, just cut to size so it can easily be added later. I nailed guide batons to the sheeting when it was all laid out on the floor to make it easier to line stuff up. They came off when it was all nailed in place.

Leaving the old roof on until the last minute proved useful too, because it then took me a few days to find some mates to help me get it on:
C.jpg
D.jpg

Roof now on, and it fits (that's why I mentioned a reliable tape measure earlier):
E.jpg
F.jpg

The gaps needed to be filled now, and the roof felted:
G.jpg
H.jpg
I.jpg

I undertook this project because it made me feel 14 again, building a 'den'! I've had so much fun with wood and power-tools this summer, even if the whole thing fails, I can put her up on AirBnB at $100 a night ... complete with LED lighting!

If growing outside in a shed interests you, then stick along, you can learn from my mistakes if nothing else!

More carpentry to follow ...

Bud the Builder:baked:

Part two, the window.

Ok, that's the roof sorted. Now onto the rest of it, starting with the sorry-looking piece of glass pretending to be a window and all the rotten wood below it. I wanted an 'opening' window, you never know when you might need one, especially outside in a shed .. to be 'blacked-out' and sealed off of course, but I like leaving my options open. I found an old window frame complete with glass in a dump and rescued it .. one man's floor is another man's ceiling! A bit of TLC and a lick of paint and as good as new:
J.jpg

Then I replaced all the rotten panelling below the window with left-over USB board.

The other thing I need to mention at this point is that I intend to use CO2 enrichment at some stage in the future, so my window needs to be air-tight. And I wanted to be able to get to the window in a case of emergency, so this was the solution:
K.jpg
L.jpg

I've spent too much time in caravans, haven't I?
Still, a nice handy trimming table in the summer.

The view from the outside, just looks like a 'shuttered' window, methinks:
M.jpg

Like I said, using CO2 in the future means making sure all the gaps are sealed, including the roof bits .. of which I made a bit of a mess:
N.jpg

I used a cheap decorator's flexible filler to seal all the thin gaps around the window, a much more messy foam filler for the larger ones!

Adding draft excluder around the window frame to seal it up completely:
O.jpg

So, that's the roof and the window done ... it's a 12ft x 6ft shed, so now I'm going to divide her into 2 rooms, both 6ft x 6ft x 6ft in size.
One used as a main growing room (or flower room as the photo-heads will have it!) and the other for 'prep' and storage.

Next up, part three .. the partition.

Outdoor, indoor? ... where's shed-growing go?

For my second post ... not so much a guide as a 'this-is-how-far-I've-got' project-still-under-construction, and I'm splitting it into parts. I wanted to start growing indoors under lights, but I don't have a useable attic or cellar and I didn't fancy a tent in the corner of my living room, so the only option open to me was the garden shed. It's been mainly a carpentry affair so far .. so enjoy the ride, the renovations have been made with growing weed in mind.

Also, I've never done this before, in fact, I've never even grown under lights before, so this is a bold step for me .. and there will be blood! I'm working with theories, forums, books, basic physics and Google, along with a smattering of engineering and outdoor-growing experience. My plan is to grow some autos and photos in the greenhouse May-Oct and grow autos-only in the shed under lights Nov-April .. winter's best because in the summer the shed gets too hot to grow, and it's much easier to heat a room up than to cool one down.

You'll need: a garden shed, carpentry skills or a mate with some, a shitload of timber, OSB boarding and nails (don't forget the nails like I did!), a reliable tape-measure (important), another mate with some power-tools you can borrow if you don't own any, and a few days of good weather. Oh, and some bucks! Well, actually, more than some, because you've got electrics, equipment and insulation to add to the total bill further down the road, that's if you're serious.

Anyway, back to the build. Part one, the roof.
This was the starting point:
View attachment 639154

The roof was leaking, the walls were damp and the floor sloped. But it was a solid timber-frame construction and with a little love, she could be saved. The roof was the main issue, because that was what was causing all the other problems, so I set about fixing it with a completely new roof, with enough strength to support lights of all types and a bit more water-proof than the last one (hopefully).

As the shed was warped and parts were rotten, and with the UK weather being as reliable as a politician's promises, I decided to build my roof on the ground first, then just lift it on. This allowed me to build a solid well-constructed nice-and-true roof that weighed a fucking ton!:
View attachment 639155
The sheeting isn't fixed by the way, just cut to size so it can easily be added later. I nailed guide batons to the sheeting when it was all laid out on the floor to make it easier to line stuff up. They came off when it was all nailed in place.

Leaving the old roof on until the last minute proved useful too, because it then took me a few days to find some mates to help me get it on:
View attachment 639156 View attachment 639157

Roof now on, and it fits (that's why I mentioned a reliable tape measure earlier):
View attachment 639158 View attachment 639159

The gaps needed to be filled now, and the roof felted:
View attachment 639160 View attachment 639161 View attachment 639162

I undertook this project because it made me feel 14 again, building a 'den'! I've had so much fun with wood and power-tools this summer, even if the whole thing fails, I can put her up on AirBnB at $100 a night ... complete with LED lighting!

If growing outside in a shed interests you, then stick along, you can learn from my mistakes if nothing else!

More carpentry to follow ...

I am subbed up for sure! I am literally doing almost the same thing, well not in a shed but the building of a grow space from the ground up. Here is what I have been working on the last week and I am almmmost done, I have to paint the floor and put the louvers in but other than that it is done.
GEDC0133.JPG
GEDC0132.JPG

Oh fuck off! ... you've just put me to shame and I've hardly started yet!
I give up ... I need a MUCH BIGGER SHED !!!!! :worship:

Bud Envious :toke:

Edit: got a few tricks up my sleeve yet tho' ... game's not over until the fat bud sings!

LMAO, man this is about 10 years of hard work and dedication coming to fruition, trust me I can already tell you are going to rock that shed all the way out! I too am going to be using cO2 IMO it is the key to big plants, that is what I am all about. Giant autoflowers. I commend your effort and will be right here along with you to watch your progress. I am already really interested because you and I are the only two on AFN that are building somethin larger scale at the moment. Since @mepshito just finished their taj mahal of auto growing that is. I am going all out with my project, that is why I have dubbed it the "dream farm" Here is a little rep slap for Bud the Builder!

@derek420colorado

You wouldn't happen to be my ex-partner Clares' Uncle Derek from Colorado by any chance? I'm getting vibes ...

Anyway, what's 'shoddy' about your RE-construction? It's bigger than my apartment.
You should be in the 'Luxury New Build' section ...
Go away.

Bud the Bouncer :baked:

Nope my oldest nephew is only 20 and I am actually from Texas just recently moved to Colorado. The dude in the picture is the one who is really responsible for it, he is a general contractor I just cut and nail where he told me too lol, now the inside stuff that is my bag. Glad to have you here, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and tag me or you can always PM

Part three, the partition.

Like I said, I wanted to divide the shed into two, so I needed a partition. The two central support struts were installed not only as support for the roof, but also with a doorway in mind, and a spine from which to build the partition framework:
P.jpg

The door frame had to be as close-fitting as possible:
Q.jpg

Now, three sides of the doorway can be sealed-off easily, but the gap created by the hinges and the hinge-side of the door frame needed sorting. The boarding, when attached, would overlap the frame on 3 sides, but had to fit flush and not overlap on the hinge side otherwise the door wouldn't open! This would leave a gap through which odours and CO2 could escape .. so here's the solution ..

A thin strip of heavy-duty plastic sheet cut to size and applied down the length of the hinge side of the door and the frame using decorator's flexible filler and staples, like so:
R.jpg

The filler helps provide a seal and keeps the plastic in place while you staple.
Cut out holes for the hinge pins with a Stanley knife.
The photo on the right is with the boarding in place over the door.

Once the rest of the boarding's in place, leaving a gap for the door to open, the plastic sheeting looks like this:
S.jpg

The photo on the left is taken from the inside with the door open ... you can see the result of the sheeting in blocking the gap effectively. The pic on the right is from the outside with the remaining boarding attached.

Now finish the boarding, and the partition looks like this:
T.jpg

U.jpg

Ding dong ... we now have a growroom.
Next up, giving it some bells and whistles ... Part four, CO2 delivery.

Part three, the partition.

Like I said, I wanted to divide the shed into two, so I needed a partition. The two central support struts were installed not only as support for the roof, but also with a doorway in mind, and a spine from which to build the partition framework:
View attachment 639206

The door frame had to be as close-fitting as possible:
View attachment 639207

Now, three sides of the doorway can be sealed-off easily, but the gap created by the hinges and the hinge-side of the door frame needed sorting. The boarding, when attached, would overlap the frame on 3 sides, but had to fit flush and not overlap on the hinge side otherwise the door wouldn't open! This would leave a gap through which odours and CO2 could escape .. so here's the solution ..

A thin strip of heavy-duty plastic sheet cut to size and applied down the length of the hinge side of the door and the frame using decorator's flexible filler and staples, like so:
View attachment 639208
The filler helps provide a seal and keeps the plastic in place while you staple.
Cut out holes for the hinge pins with a Stanley knife.
The photo on the right is with the boarding in place over the door.

Once the rest of the boarding's in place, leaving a gap for the door to open, the plastic sheeting looks like this:
View attachment 639209
The photo on the left is taken from the inside with the door open ... you can see the result of the sheeting in blocking the gap effectively. The pic on the right is from the outside with the remaining boarding attached.

Now finish the boarding, and the partition looks like this:
View attachment 639210
View attachment 639211

Ding dong ... we now have a growroom.
Next up, giving it some bells and whistles ... Part four, CO2 delivery.

Bad ASS

Back