Turning a shoddy shed into a groovy ganja growroom

Dude, even Gavita is bailing on the old tech and selling their HPS division. MH, HPS, LEC (and the other 20 tradenames for the same thing ) are all dead technology. COB led is already at the point of exceeding the old style lights in both photon output and efficiency. Ceramic Metal Halide ( which is what LEC is, absolutely no difference, LEC was just an attempt to trademark an existing technology ), has a slight edge on HPS/MH but not much. It has good spectruum though, but still not worth the investment for anything but a small grow. But even doing DIY, LED is still held back by cost. Not for long though, prices are dropping even as efficiency and output continue to climb. I give these type light 5 more years then gone. For the cost of a 315watt LEC, I can likely build a COB based light that will, on a watt for watt basis out produce a LEC

If you are looking into LED's I also suggest looking into LECs, jusssssssst in case your mind wasn't already goin 1000 miles an hour about what lighting to use

Dude, even Gavita is bailing on the old tech and selling their HPS division. MH, HPS, LEC (and the other 20 tradenames for the same thing ) are all dead technology. COB led is already at the point of exceeding the old style lights in both photon output and efficiency. Ceramic Metal Halide ( which is what LEC is, absolutely no difference, LEC was just an attempt to trademark an existing technology ), has a slight edge on HPS/MH but not much. It has good spectruum though, but still not worth the investment for anything but a small grow. But even doing DIY, LED is still held back by cost. Not for long though, prices are dropping even as efficiency and output continue to climb. I give these type light 5 more years then gone. For the cost of a 315watt LEC, I can likely build a COB based light that will, on a watt for watt basis out produce a LEC

Here is the thing, I am all about the COBs but I don't like DIY. Did you see the 45% efficient DE hps from revolution that Geo Pot drew was talking about? It is a game changer to say the least. At almost 50Z% efficient and triple the lumen output of a COB or LED that is in my opinion what will always keep HID's in the front seat its all about the lumens(lots will disagree but I know what I know lol), I honestly have the opposing view and that with the increase in HPS efficiency that COBS will be a thing of the past. But only time will tell, yes LEC lighting has been around for a while but as you stated the spectrum is very hard to beat. And originally it was very pricy so it didn't get a lot of attention. I have combined the two in my space as you know DE HPS and LEC oh yeah and the sun lol so the best of all worlds for me. Also when the temps warm up in the spring I will most likely be using some sort of COB system, but so far as I can tell it is basically a DIY world when it comes to COBS and that just aint my bag, and the reason everyone is building their own COBS is because their aren't really any companies that are doing them and doing them right, I think Northern Grow something or other is about the only one I have seen anyone put any stock in. So needless to say there are lots of factors when it comes to lighting.

@pop22 @derek420colorado

Gentlemen, please ... you're both frying my brain! ... we'll get onto mankind's struggle to duplicate the sunshine later.
I've still got anti-fungal and anti-insecticide spray on my to-do list and a bit more wood-manipulation on the agenda.
Then insulation, electrics, air-flow (intake & out), wall sealing, floor sealing, reflective material, and the 'reception' room to sort out..!

I'm working with what I've got.

Here's what I've got in mind ... if you spot anything obviously stupid, then please don't hold back.

Shed-plans.jpg

And if cannabis growing was as legal in the UK as it is in Colorado, I'd have a shed and a greenhouse the size of Denver in my yard, with inverted radio-telescope technology focusing all the sun's rays on my weed plot alone.
Hawaii would see snow for the first time!

Bud's First Step Towards World Cannabis Domination :oops1:

Hey @pop22 ... I've been researching the corrosive nature of CO2 on thermo-plastics and can't find any evidence to support the argument against using this tubing.

A theory, is after all, just a theory until some muppet attempts it ... that'll be me then!
And I'll just switch to copper if I survive the plastic poisoning ... if it's good for natural gas, then CO2 should be a snip.
Get the wallet out again ...

Bud on a Mission :baked:

triple the output......umm I want to see the professional comparison done in an Integrating Sphere then I'll believe it. And I can build a cob that will get 60% efficiency and all the photons you could want. I understand DIY is not for everyone, But you can buy these lights pretty much driven as hard or soft as you wish. And any HID improvement is still a small increment in increase. Gavity DE has tested at 42%.

Give me a link to this light, and I'll find out more about it. I'm certainly not buying those claims without proof. Not doubting you, just sounds too much like "115 watt LED, real good, better than 1000hps"............
Here is the thing, I am all about the COBs but I don't like DIY. Did you see the 45% efficient DE hps from revolution that Geo Pot drew was talking about? It is a game changer to say the least. At almost 50Z% efficient and triple the lumen output of a COB or LED that is in my opinion what will always keep HID's in the front seat its all about the lumens(lots will disagree but I know what I know lol), I honestly have the opposing view and that with the increase in HPS efficiency that COBS will be a thing of the past. But only time will tell, yes LEC lighting has been around for a while but as you stated the spectrum is very hard to beat. And originally it was very pricy so it didn't get a lot of attention. I have combined the two in my space as you know DE HPS and LEC oh yeah and the sun lol so the best of all worlds for me. Also when the temps warm up in the spring I will most likely be using some sort of COB system, but so far as I can tell it is basically a DIY world when it comes to COBS and that just aint my bag, and the reason everyone is building their own COBS is because their aren't really any companies that are doing them and doing them right, I think Northern Grow something or other is about the only one I have seen anyone put any stock in. So needless to say there are lots of factors when it comes to lighting.

And that's all I wanted was for you to check. When you DIY and use materials outside there intended scope, its always good to check for any possible safety issues.

Hey @pop22 ... I've been researching the corrosive nature of CO2 on thermo-plastics and can't find any evidence to support the argument against using this tubing.

A theory, is after all, just a theory until some muppet attempts it ... that'll be me then!
And I'll just switch to copper if I survive the plastic poisoning ... if it's good for natural gas, then CO2 should be a snip.
Get the wallet out again ...

Bud on a Mission :baked:

Back