Wanting to reuse my soil

BirDMan420

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Okay my friends, I want to re use my coast of Maine soil. I’d hate to assume the process because I’ve never done it before but I do in fact have the means of doing it and have done extensive research. But I have Gaia greens 4-4-4 and 2-8-4. I have some dolomite lime, and I do have all the ingredients for a super soil recipe to use at my will so whatever is needed I do have. But I would like some more knowledge from you guys here before my grow ends and I re amend this soil

I don't reuse my soil, but some do amend and reuse it. I don't feel confidant enough to do that without testing.

If you are using soil, it has what is called cation exchange capacity (CEC). This allows positively charge ions (many nutrients are taken up by the plant as positively charged ions, like potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, copper, zinc, and others). to be held by the soil, sort of in reserve. It is released slowly to the plants. It doesn't easily wash out.

You also end up with different nutrients reacting with each other, forming compounds of low solubility, which also don't easily wash out of soil. These can become available to plants at unknown rates, so when you are feeding on a regular schedule, you won't know how much is also being released by these leftover compounds.

The closest I've come to reusing soil is to reveg, and reflower photo strains.

I don't reuse my soil, but some do amend and reuse it. I don't feel confidant enough to do that without testing.

If you are using soil, it has what is called cation exchange capacity (CEC). This allows positively charge ions (many nutrients are taken up by the plant as positively charged ions, like potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, copper, zinc, and others). to be held by the soil, sort of in reserve. It is released slowly to the plants. It doesn't easily wash out.

You also end up with different nutrients reacting with each other, forming compounds of low solubility, which also don't easily wash out of soil. These can become available to plants at unknown rates, so when you are feeding on a regular schedule, you won't know how much is also being released by these leftover compounds.

The closest I've come to reusing soil is to reveg, and reflower photo strains.
That makes sense. I didn’t think it would be as easy as described tbh and plants always run through their life expectancy before using up nutrients so that’s very true on the reserved nutrients.

@BirDMan420 here is a pic of me making soil , if you look at my thread you will see how I do it and if you have any questions just ask .
1704566849720.png

Only way to know for sure is to get a soil test. If you aren't going that route, then using a pH meter and EC meter to get an idea of pH and overall fertility (EC) is helpful but won't tell you the balance of those nutrients. I'd avoid using the dolomite lime, I rarely if ever see low Mg in "living soil" or soilless media mixes. Good luck!

If it were me,since I've mixed enough soil by hand to walk across the damn ocean it seems like sometimes 🤣 but if your soil was used and you ran a full course with said soil.. I can tell ya exactly how to rebuild it..first step for me is to buy a re ammendment pack from kis..15lbs,55 bucks..that's your base,barring Tons of root matter. That's your zero point..then I tend to boost it for a true water only mix assuming size n all of said pots are good and genetics dont root out too badly. Anyway, good luck..and me personally..I always use prilled/pellet lime in my mixes. But that's my take on it in the broad strokes. Have an IG page that's shows my entire process. And as you can see from my work from said pages..ki.da know what I'm talking about..anywho, be well n best of luck 🙏

I haven’t changed my living coco is three years I just remove the rootball but not all roots reamend an use again.

Back