Well water question

_~JAB~_

Qualified Live Stoner
Reaction score
My well water has high iron and calcium but nothing else harmful in it tested in April of 2023. Iron wasnt all that high I feel I should mention. Is it ok to water my plants with?

PPM - 197
PH - 7
uS/cm - 397 (I don't know what this is or means)

Any input would be appreciated!

That’s not too bad anything under 200 ppm should be fine but if your worried cut it in half with RO or DI water. My tap water is well over 300ppm sometimes over 400.

uS/cm is your EC reading (electro conductivity) and ppm is just a calculation derived from that. There are different ppm scales but EC is always stays the same. Most common used scale is Hanna 500 which = ec*.5

IMG_2596.jpeg

That’s not too bad anything under 200 ppm should be fine but if your worried cut it in half with RO or DI water. My tap water is well over 300ppm sometimes over 400.

uS/cm is your EC reading (electro conductivity) and ppm is just a calculation derived from that. There are different ppm scales but EC is always stays the same. Most common used scale is Hanna 500 which = ec*.5

View attachment 1669503
Appreciate the feedback!

I'd suggest getting a filter system including RO, ideally DI too. This will remove all the salts and ions, including iron. You won't have to worry about the well water contributing to any problems.
I thought about it. Definitely will down the road but I think I'm going to just stick to spring water and PH it this grow I get gallon jugs of spring water for free luckily. Would be nice to just use my own water though!

I have an iron mine in my back yard and have crazy high iron in my water. Never seen an iron toxicity in plants. But your water should be fine. Probably never need cal/mag supplements

I have an iron mine in my back yard and have crazy high iron in my water. Never seen an iron toxicity in plants. But your water should be fine. Probably never need cal/mag supplements
Good point I might use my well water on 1 plant see how it does. Appreciate the feedback!

My well water's ppm is ~500, ph ~7.5

Using 5 gallon SIP's with ProMix HP and Mega Crop one part.

Don't use cal/mag or ph down !

House plants have been fine with it for 40 years, why wouldn't the pot plants be the same :cooldance:

Cheers

My well water's ppm is ~500, ph ~7.5

Using 5 gallon SIP's with ProMix HP and Mega Crop one part.

Don't use cal/mag or ph down !

House plants have been fine with it for 40 years, why wouldn't the pot plants be the same :cooldance:

Cheers
Plants may tolerate less than optimal water, but that doesn't mean you're getting optimal plant growth, potency, quality, etc.

Back