When Making Seeds?

ripster

Auto Breeder
Reaction score
Hay all, curious about male to female or female to male. Does it make a difference when making an auto strain from scratch?

I believe the males carry a heavy dominance for the auto trait... i believe it should be (auto male) x (non auto female) preferably

btw... got 12 seeds outta the top of the big akrunner today when i was trimming... whnen it drys a bit more I'll go back... probably 20 in the unpollyed part... the bottom is filling the seeds out nicely now... anther week or so I'd think! :)

I believe the males carry a heavy dominance for the auto trait... i believe it should be (auto male) x (non auto female) preferably
That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. With this being the case, do you think, since I don't have the room or time to grow more than one photo plant at a time, that if I were to get a male photo plant, and pollinated a fem. auto, what could I expect as far as the next generation is concerned? Less autos in the seeds and or less anything what?

btw... got 12 seeds outta the top of the big akrunner today when i was trimming... whnen it drys a bit more I'll go back... probably 20 in the unpollyed part... the bottom is filling the seeds out nicely now... anther week or so I'd think!
That's good news dude.
:)
did something again.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. With this being the case, do you think, since I don't have the room or time to grow more than one photo plant at a time, that if I were to get a male photo plant, and pollinated a fem. auto, what could I expect as far as the next generation is concerned? Less autos in the seeds and or less anything what?

Ripster...
not scientific..only what I played around with one year.

I mixed a few of the crosses deliberately selecting different Male to Female for the same crosses and playing them through to hyb..
just to double check what I was reading was true..

they did show some differences..nothing enormous..

But I did find that they tend to be Mom dominant..
whatever the female of the cross was would dom in F1 and F2..

As I say..not scientific..
and..
it flies in the face of convention..

But..It is how it worked for Me...in Practice..:thumbs:

I Prefer to make my Moms the AF side...and male photo

Last edited:
so it seems I misunderstood this? thanks for clarifying wiz!

I think you're probaby right... I'd imagine he bred out many generations to stabile... in which case it would seem either the mother or father would carry the genetics... they'd only need to be bred into selection... my :2cents:

so it seems I misunderstood this? thanks for clarifying wiz!

No JM..you are spot on for what I read...:thumbs:

so I tested the theory..

and they are my Personal Results and Preferences.

I Did make THAT clear in the post..

As I say..not scientific..and..
it flies in the face of convention..

But..It is how it worked for Me...in Practice..

But..I have to say again...it didn't make a Lot of difference....
either way...:thumbs:

It might not have anything to do which is Mom & Dad
It Does when you pick an 8 inch pheno for the Mom..and can't bloody shift it until f3-f4.. :D

(I selected her for Perfect Balance..and I didn't get her to 12 inches til the f4's..Been there..Done that...:lol:....)

He says, for the plants he was using, that which is male or female makes no difference. Yet I heard you and others say it does.

No Bro..you heard me say....

they did show some differences..nothing enormous..

Mainly Height differences I picked up...see above.. :thumbs:

I have heard of One particular line..(cant remember the name off-hand..)
where the Good male shows a perculiar petal trait..
so obviously something like that would help determine male/fem parentage mix.

Last edited:
But..It is how it worked for Me...in Practice..:thumbs:

I Prefer to make my Moms the AF side...and male photo
I'll give it a try your way first. I trust someone I can actually talk to and has done it. So thanks Wiz :head:

It should eventually show and of course if you grow out enough seeds, you'll find it in the next gen or at least get closer to what you seek. It's a journey - enjoy it
!

Good advise Thai, will do :thumbs:

I trust someone I can actually talk to and has done it. So thanks Wiz

My feelings too... which is why I say thanks for clarifying... because practice and "book theory" sometimes dont always coincide... :)
Until I have a lot more room for things... I'll just try to select best phenos for what I'm after... and continue to reinforce those phenos by selection until I reach my "goal" and, if neccesary (probably will) BX them to reinforce the traits I seek.... sound ok Wiz?

Back