Where do YOU hang your humidity and temp sensors?

Reaction score
Since where we hang/place our temperature and humidity sensors/meters change what readings we get from our devices..for example, sensors placed above the canopy, being hit by a fan will read significantly differently to say a sensor placed above the canopy, but shielded, (so no air from a fan hitting it).

This holds true for both temperature and humidity sensors.

Since we're shooting for accuracy, especially those of us who like to follow VPD charts etc, where is the best place to hang them... where do YOU hang them?

Since where we hang/place our temperature and humidity sensors/meters change what readings we get from our devices..for example, sensors placed above the canopy, being hit by a fan will read significantly differently to say a sensor placed above the canopy, but shielded, (so no air from a fan hitting it).

Since we're shooting for accuracy, especially those of us who like to follow VPD charts etc, where is the best place to hang them... where do YOU hang them?

I try not to overthink this one like I used to and just place it in between my plants near the middle of my grow height so like 3 feet off the ground. No rhyme or reason but it works for me.

The general rule is canopy height. I have learned that consistency in placement was not as important as being accustomed to the rhythm of your grow space through the seasons. I used to try to do VPD and it just don't work in my house. I am happy when it is between 40% and 65%

I have 4 sensors because I don't trust a single one to be consistently accurate:

One is on the inkbird temp/humidity controller, so technically two sensors but they are far from accurate in what they read but will "hold" what they are set to just fine. Example: It reads at 55%rh but the other two both say 62%, yet if I want 63% I increase the inkbird to 56% and it holds at 63% according to the other two. These are hung near canopy level.

Second is a small wireless unit I was able to calibrate for rh in a boveda cigar calibration bag. I trust this one most, however it's only guaranteed accurate to +/- 3%. It did read dead on for the calibration so, eh, if its within 2% of what I want in the tent I think it's good. This one rests just off the floor of the tent on a block.

Third is another cigar hygrometer which had adjustable calibration and guaranteed +/- 2%for rh but I was unable to calibrate it to the Boveda calibration bag. This one is just to see if the others are in range and it sits in the front of the tent for a quick peek, floor level.

Fourth is the ACInfinity fan controller sensor. It is a single temp/humidity silver pin style sensor. With two fans in the tent this one usually agrees with the wireless "Second" hygrometer. This sensor hangs near the ceiling near the filter and fan.

So, 4 sensor readouts from floor, to just above floor, to canopy, to ceiling. If the air is circulating well they are all very close in readings. I think ideally canopy level is where to put a single sensor as you want to know what the plant is experiencing.

I ended up with several as the inkbird controlls a heater and humidifier and the ACInfinity filter/fan had a sensor option. The wireless I added so I could look without looking. The cigar hygrometer is unnecessary but it was lying about.

The general rule is canopy height. I have learned that consistency in placement was not as important as being accustomed to the rhythm of your grow space through the seasons. I used to try to do VPD and it just don't work in my house. I am happy when it is between 40% and 65%
The new A/C I got for this grow is quite a good one. With most A/Cs, they naturally lower the humidity. With this unite, there's a circ fan that blows over the coil and condensate to increase the efficiency and it conserves the humidity.
Temps and humidity only varies one up or down. I have my tent currently running at 78*F and 70% Rh. I did have to put my humidifier inside the tent to narrow the stability. Prior set up I had the humidifier close to an intake vent.

VERY efficient and smart unit! You can fully control it with your phone. By the end of the grow, I will know the energy used to condition my grow with the running tally of energy used. With 5 days and 9 hrs runtime, it has used 28.2 kWh My cost is 11 cents per kWh

It also helps lessen the load on the house A/C. Lot's of winning!!

I've found that the sensor that came with my AC Infinity only gets accurate readings when above my light (SF4000). In that position it reads about the same as the Govee and Thermapro hydrometers that I have at the canopy level. The minute it goes under the light, the readings get very inconsistent.

Back