Why are my autoflowers so small?

Depends on where you get it, 200-400. And frank might be right about the N tox being the cause then, fox farm has enough food in their regular potting mixes for about 1.5 months. Your other grows may not have been as picky about food as this one.
Just hit me too, could just be transplant shock too @Frankthetank, great minds think alike huh

I was very careful about overwatering. Been down that road.
In the future…instead of transplanting, perhaps you should try this…

Take your five gallon pot of happy frog or whatever you are using….dig out a void about the size of a solo cup or slightly larger, fill that with your seed starter soil, and sow the seed in that. That way you’re starting the seed in its final home, but it will be protected from the hot soil for a while…..
:pass:

Again…..just be careful not to overwater…

In the future…instead of transplanting, perhaps you should try this…

Take your five gallon pot of happy frog or whatever you are using….dig out a void about the size of a solo cup or slightly larger, fill that with your seed starter soil, and sow the seed in that. That way you’re starting the seed in its final home, but it will be protected from the hot soil for a while…..
:pass:

Again…..just be careful not to overwater…
I had ONE successful auto up pot.. after that heart attack, I adopted Frank’s method.. (then over watered a cpl beans, but that is not the gist of this post…)
what im saying is, they are probably right about the final pot scenario for autos: and my *anecdotal evidence* backs the ’plant in final pot’ with the mentioned scooped out section for some starter mix…its an auto transplant of sorts. Far less worrisome for the same ends essentially.

Though Im not an auto grower, I know a lot of people like to start in smaller pots or cups. But they do make nursery bags, small bags that you can pop straight into the next container when roots start to poke through they are usually biodegradable so they will break apart after awhile in the new home. Idk if thats an option for you either but it might help avoid transplant shock. But starting in the final pot is the best way to be sure there is no shock at all. Happy growing!

My first guess would be these plants were stunted from too much nitrogen early on. Also could be caused by habitual overwatering….but I’m leaning toward high N…. :pass:

I was thinking the same thing Mossy told me that until she figured it out hot soil always gave her "stumpies".. Agree to disagree about transplanting if done at the right time and properly auto do not mind transplanting I do it often with great success

I was thinking the same thing Mossy told me that until she figured it out hot soil always gave her "stumpies".. Agree to disagree about transplanting if done at the right time and properly auto do not mind transplanting I do it often with great success
The insta transplant cups you do give you great success!!

I’ll repot these squirts in 1-gal pots, as suggested earlier, and let them do whatever they’re gonna do. In the meantime, I’ll start new seeds and when ready, I’ll refresh the original soil and repot the new plants in that. Fox Farm soil ain’t cheap. I‘m not gonna toss it when it’s hardly been used.

Back