Why are my autoflowers so small?

OK. I get what you’re suggesting. Fill the hole and plant newly germinated seeds directly into these pots? But how does the seedling soil stay separated from the hot Fox Farm soil, especially after watering?
It dosent really, but the plants roots should be robust enough to adjust.. the idea is the “starter pot” soil section is like the solo cup approach. The seed has enough natural juice to go a good two weeks, which is about how long it can take to fill out that “starter pot” section with roots, then its vegging good snd can handle a bit of stronger soil (potentially ofc).

Germinated on the plate, planted in solo cups using seedling soil, once they grew their third set of leaves, I planted them into these 5-gal. pots
I germ in water or damp paper towel 24-48 until a tail and then plant in final soil container (several gallons); and can’t remember having an issue with plants getting through these stages of life successfully... I've been trying to grow smaller than QPs to have space for strain variety, fwiw :baked:

Just started some new ones this way too…7 days above ground now (there's pictures in my current grow).

I germ in water or damp paper towel 24-48 until a tail and then plant in final soil container (several gallons); and can’t remember having an issue with plants getting through these stages of life successfully... I've been trying to grow smaller than QPs to have space for strain variety, fwiw :baked:

Just started some new ones this way too…7 days above ground now (there's pictures in my current grow).
What type of soil do you use?

the whole pot should be evenly hydrated friend,,, roots will air prune into dry soil,,, It almost impossible to overwater in cloth pots

so next go maybe try this
1 use a buffering starter seed mix in the center of the pot
2 sew seeds directly into final pot
3 water entire pot and cover the seedlings with a small water bottle with the bottom cut off to keep humidity high

That soil should provide a month of food for an auto before it needs amending, but for it to do so, the soil must be evenly hydrated as plants roots wont grow into dry soil
I think you may have a convergence of several easily remedied issues that caused this.

I use ffof in cloth pots... Ive been reusing the same soil going on 5 years now.. ive intentionally tried to overwater in these pots and unless you get really crazy, its not happening..
GL!

It dosent really, but the plants roots should be robust enough to adjust.. the idea is the “starter pot” soil section is like the solo cup approach. The seed has enough natural juice to go a good two weeks, which is about how long it can take to fill out that “starter pot” section with roots, then its vegging good snd can handle a bit of stronger soil (potentially ofc).
So where do you focus the watering? Around the pocket or on top? And how much?

I try to water around the edges so the roots try and seek the water on the edge of the pot so they get pruned ( i have fabric post and organic amended soil).

for my seedlings i wet the medium very well when planting/germinating and let it go until they sprout the surface. Unless they need obvi-water… around the edges for the first few days doing the ‘lift test’ and the ‘feel the top dryness - meter ‘ ..

at the start i only water a tiny bit via a spray bottle to mist the soil top. Again it depends on what day from the initial watering was and how much i feel will keep it moist but not soaked..but im strictly misting until i can tell they are rooting and popping leafs besides the cotyledons leafs and a bit of stem.

the whole pot should be evenly hydrated friend,,, roots will air prune into dry soil,,, It almost impossible to overwater in cloth pots

so next go maybe try this
1 use a buffering starter seed mix in the center of the pot
2 sew seeds directly into final pot
3 water entire pot and cover the seedlings with a small water bottle with the bottom cut off to keep humidity high

That soil should provide a month of food for an auto before it needs amending, but for it to do so, the soil must be evenly hydrated as plants roots wont grow into dry soil
I think you may have a convergence of several easily remedied issues that caused this.

I use ffof in cloth pots... Ive been reusing the same soil going on 5 years now.. ive intentionally tried to overwater in these pots and unless you get really crazy, its not happening..
GL!
I think you gave me the same advice. I get much better germination right in the final pot using the method you described. I soak a peat pellet in some water and vermicompost tea. A small pile in the middle of the pot of soil/mix to plant the seed in. 5 gallon fabric pots can yield a big enough lady for a 4x4 tent. I find fabric pots are more forgiving. KEY= keep the entire soil moist. No dry spots.

Back