Why do people care about getting good ph for water used in final flushing?

He didn't say anything, but he thumbs up the post. Evil Fat Thor, now I know you exist.
Hobbes pressing dabs after dabs! ;)
1657667254140.gif

Here is my one and only question to OP;
If you flush your plants at the finish, essentially trying to kill them prematurely, why would you even care what your PH is?

@CannaDaTaBiz

For starters, give this a read through:

We've literally been discussing the fallacies of flushing for nearly 6 years on this forum. Whether you agree, disagree, on the fence, etc, there's some great answers, links, and perspectives from all around the globe.

You seem to be pushing back on any opinions, advice, or guidance on this topic, yet you don't seem to have any real grasp of it yourself (and I say that respectfully.) If you're perceiving your fellow growers as hostile; I think they are feeling the same thing from you about your willingness to even discuss the topic. Just some friendly advice, approach tends to breed the response :pighug:

For starters you're arguing two different types of flushing.

Flushing to fix problems with your medium is Animal A (which, again this is still the act of running water through the pot to leach out water soluble nutrients in the medium.)

Flushing at harvest because you think it's removing things from the plant is Animal B (which in reality, it's still leaching water soluble nutrients from the medium.)

As to growers overfeeding plants; that is a common issue, but again you'd point to "Animal A" to help correct that (and by correct, I mean you're trying to correct the issues in your medium, which in turns help correct things with the plant. You're not flushing anything out of the plant, burn damage is damage done.)

Many growers also start their nutrient regiments (especially if it's new to them or the grow) at 1/4 to 1/2 strength of normal recommendations. This helps you see how the plants react. Just like you wouldn't cram a t-bone steak down a babies throat, the nutrient requirements for seedlings and establishing plants is generally less than something already in the full swing.

Then follow the status quo that growers blindly accepted for decades with absolutely little science to substantiate the claims. If you're not open to the idea that harvest flushing may not in fact do the thing what growers generally accepted it as so to do, then why try to reinvent the wheel?

Flush with pH'd water , case closed (though not scientifically proven.) :shrug: It's literally that simple.

Again, I will refer you to agricultural leaching:

"In agricultural ecosystems, leaching is an important balance between preventing salt accumulation and removing nutrients from soil. Without proper amounts of water to leach these salts (known as the leaching fraction) from the upper soil horizons, the growth of the plants can be slightly to severely impacted. The impact depends on the salt tolerance of the plant and the type of salts accumulating in the soil."

By that same slippery slope logic, should we here not all reserve that same right to question someone who questions everything?

If that's the case then, then this was already answered. If you want the plants to use the nutrients already in the soil, you still pH the water because that's the OPTIMAL RANGE of solubility of those nutrients in the medium. You've cut the nutrients, now you're just giving the medium the pH'd water it needs for whatever is remaining to be uptaken. You're not flushing the plant, you're flushing the medium (Animal A,) which still requires moving a volume of water through the medium itself.

Boomsies! *mic drop*

Because many growers have been down this path before your existential questions about cultivation ever existed. Not everything that happens with plants is brand new territory, much of this is territory already traveled. And that doesn't mean we shouldn't still discuss and have conversations, that's why places like this forum exist. But hammering on the same note isn't much of a song.

Because there is no discernible difference. And science seems to back that more than not. I say this respectfully, have you even looked at any of these flushing trials or rhetoric?

Again, there is very little science that backs this up. Can YOU explain this?

The idea behind crop steering the plants isn't that you just stress it with anything. It's the idea that you intentionally introduce specific types of stress at specific times in order to try to produce a desired response.

If any/all stress made the plants more potent, then all new growers on the planet would have the most fuego weed in existence (as they overfeed their plants and improperly pH their water wink wink lol.)

Yo. Thanks for some of the information, but its like you are intentionally trying to misunderstand stuff im saying and you are clearly not seeing where im coming from. Like i said multiple times, i dont care to argue about whether flushing in general helps in some situations or not. Like when i said that i have tried putting screws through the stem and did not notice difference, you are falsely assuming that im still doing that.

I get that some people are more pragmatic in their approach and prefer to stick what they know works. Thats ok, there would not be large grow ops etc if everyone just wanted to experiment and not do what is known to work. But im the type of person who likes to first of all get a real understanding on things, experiment outside of what is known to work best and sometimes even asking silly questions, despite some people potentially seeing me as foolish. But you know, sometimes questioning even those basic known facts can reveal truths that were not known before and lead to further development, even tho most of the time they dont lead to anywhere. But i have noticed that if people cant back up some known "truth" with convincing reasoning, then those "truths" might not actually be as true as thought and there might be something more to it to if not change it completely, maybe fine tune it a bit.

Like i already said, i dont think flushing is needed most of the time. Its just that i have smoked weed that tastes like it was fed way too much soooo many times, that i know you can taste the nutrients in weed if its fed too much during its life. Now you should convince me that it would had not helped with this particular weed im smoking, if who ever was growing it had fed water only for the last two weeks or so.

Or do you agree that it would had helped the final product in this particular case? Because if you do agree with flushing only in that particular situation, then we agree about everything related to flushing.

It is a whole another discussion about whether they should had cut down the nutes overall in their grow, instead of flushing at the end. I think we agree that they should had aimed to grow in way that is optimal and does not require flushing at the end. Dont we?

You keep answering from the perspective as if i would be overall advocate of flushing, which i am not. But i do think that in some specific cases it would had helped. That particular and only case being that the plants were fed too much with chemical nutrients and was nearly overdosing.

So if you agree that in this particular case flushing would had helped, id like to keep this discussion about that particular situation and whether for example 8.5PH would had made difference, like for example achieving the same results in shorter time or something like that.

Also id like you to think about this. You are an admin on these forums. Generally it is considered bad forum manners of post too much off topic. I said at the beginning that we should keep this topic about what it is about, not about flushing in general, because believe me, i have looked into it quite a bit and i know what sort of shitstorm anything flushing related generates at the internet. What i personally an admin should had done here is to tell the other guys to keep this on topic. However i get that perhaps you are just more pragmatic and could not see where i was coming from and perhaps even getting tired of talking about flushing, so you are forgiven.

Ill read what you said more carefully later with more time, as it seemed there is some good info in it. There is also so much useless stuff in it that to me seems like you are only misunderstanding me and where i am coming from with this whole thing and because i dont care to continue discussing about whether flushing is good or not in general. Ill just than you for the info you gave now.

Ps. I dont believe in bro science, i might test stuff because i like to experiment, but i rather look at how possible some truth is, rather than accepting anything as some sort of ultimate truth. Real science is best for raising the possibility % of a thing being true, good reasoning and logic based on other things that are most certainly true is also a good way to raise the percentages. But in the end, you cannot prove that you dont live in matrix or other ismulation, so nothing can be proven as some sort of ultimate truth in the end. However things can be 99.99999999999999999% certainly true.

- Peace

Last edited:
Back