Worm Bins, and creating biodiveristy through free range poo

Fuggzy

Perfectly Flawed
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is a project I am doing a journal on. It is already started, but I am including the start of it too. I edited a small bit of the info that did not regard to AFN, as not to create any conflict.

I'm not a master at worm, actually rather a novice. If you feel that you could learn from the info I am able to provide I invite you to pull up a chair. If you happen to be a worm guy too, well hell, please chime in. The more information people can draw from the better chances there will be for success. Man I love open source info. I spend hours a day (4-6) researching things that interest me. Most of that happens to be in regard to organic gardening, and how to maximize my output while minimizing my input. I mean really.... Why pay for worm poop? It is byproduct of them living.

This project is for fun, but also to legitimately learn something, and build up a better soil.

The following entries are dated and basically word for word. I'll break them up so it is not just a wall of text.

********************************************************************************************

10/08/15
I wanted to document worms, their castings, and my ideas about wild castings. This is about a worm bin I am starting, and free range worm casting I collect. I'll document any changes in the bin so others interested might get an idea of what to expect. Nothing is set in stone, as I am still learning, and am not 100% sure what to expect.

The bin is starting with 2¼lbs of red worms. The base is going to be peat, compost, and some composted horse manure from the breeder. He uses a 50/50 peat/HM shredded together. The compost will be my own. The interior measures 9"x14"x20" (HxWxD)

I'm not exactly sure what their diet will be yet. Veggie, and fruit scraps, cardboard, soil amendments, who knows. I'll be filling in the info as I go, and find a feeding that works for me. As the bin gets larger, I'd think there will be more options. It is a small bin at the moment.

The bin has been prepped with air holes on all sides, bottom included. I may go with a flow threw design later. I can just cut the bottom out if I don't like the current idea.

I found the breeder on craigslist. He was more than happy to share any info with me, and offered me a tour before I asked. He seemed to be pretty knowledgeable regarding the worms. I can't remember everything said (the man can talk, a lot) but everything he showed me looked great. He is also certified/licensed to sell is worms/castings commercially. He was very gracious to show me w/e I wanted to know, and more. Best part was the prices. I paid $15 per pound of worms, and $8 for a 5gal bucket of castings. For $38 total I got 2¼lbs of worms, and 28lbs of castings. He made sure that they both over weighed, and expressed how ridiculous the market price of them where. Teddy was a interesting person.

Okay so lets talk about biodiversity.... I see a good amount of people that use different rock dust for diversity. The idea of if it comes from a different source, location, and/or composition, it will add different elements to the soil. Even 2 bags of azomite can have variances due to how the deposits settle. So why can't these all apply to worm castings? I am in a "special" position to be able to collect nightcrawler casting from a few different sources. They are all within ~15 miles of each other, however each of them are in a different environment. By that I mean they are all dominated by different trees, and plants. All the areas are private/protected land, and none of them use any ~cides of any kind. I also have permission to take these, and try do do so respectfully. I guess to make it easy I'll just list them by numbers.

Location 1: This actually happens to be my own back yard. My yard backs up to a nature preserve. I only have privacy fence on the sides, leaving the back of the yard totally exposed to the preserve. It is what I like to refer to as a cypress swamp oasis. It is a dense cypress forest, with lots of standing water, and close to nothing growing on the ground. I stopped cutting my back yard to encourage the wild flowers to grow, and in the process (i think) it created a worm habitat. My yard is sloped down to the forest, so it provides a dryer spot, near all the water they need/want. There are casting all over the yard, but the last ~12' before the water is almost blanketed by them. I collected about 2 gallons the 1st time and could barley tell.

Location 2: This is at my moms house. This area is dominated by oaks and other deciduous tree. The leaves are not collected,a nd just decompose where they fall. The outskirts (where I collect) has had an organic landscape for about 15 years. I collect them here, cause I feel like the soil amendments used in the bast have left this soil more optimal. I would think of this area more of the woods, rather than a forest. Its only ~2 acres.

Location 3: This is at a friends house. His yard is similar to my yard. It is also connected to a wildlife preserve, but it is more of a "wild" Florida setting. There are tons of palms, and Florida grass land types plants/shrubs, and lots of animals. A large river runs through his neighborhood, and is where I look. Of all the locations, this is the most natural of them.

So back to diversity. I also have casting from 2 vendors. That gives me a total of 5 different sources, not including the ones I will be producing. I know to be sure I would need to get them tested. On the other hand I also know that when making your own casting, you can change the outcome from what you feed them. This is the idea that I'm riding on. Maybe one of these days I'll get a test, but for now I'm putting my trust in mother nature.

Now I will admit I need to study more on nightcrawler casting. The small amount I have read though say they are still a great organic fert. I feel pretty confident that they will benefit my soil.

I will be finishing the bin today, and post a few pics. I hope this might help some other newbies to worms. If there are any questions please post them. If I'm not able to answer, then we both get to learn something new! I also expect this to start off rather slow. I might just start off with weekly updates. Anywho... Enjoy guys.

Journal entry #2

10-09-15

Okay, I got some pics in the process. Not many, but its rather easy as is.

This is the bin its self. The interior measures 9"x14"x20" (HxWxD)
picture.php

Bottom air/drain holes.
picture.php

Top shot, and a bucket of my compost. The bucket also has ~24 nightcrawlers in it. Some up to about 9", and meaty. It is not a bin per say, but a worm invasion.
smile.gif

picture.php

This is the bag from the farm. You can see the bedding they where raised in.
picture.php

This is the finished bin. I have a second tub, and am going to use it as a drip pan. I actually have 5 of them, so at splitting time, i"ll just make another bin. This is right after putting them in and giving them a small spread.
picture.php

I'm making up some more bedding this afternoon. I'd like to get ~3 more inches in there. I've got some scraps and green sand for them to eat after they get settled in. I figured they could use the GS for grit. There is some lime in there already, so I wont add much of GS.

I'll post back at feeding time....Take care.

10-09-15

I did want to add for those that wouldn't think about it. The wild casting are most likely going to be full of crawlers. I sifted out ~1.5 gallons yesterday. There was a good amount of "bugs" including some beetles, a millipede, and some really small white crawlers. I think I scooped up a cricket nest too. I had about 12 small crickets hoping around. They where less than a ¼ inch. If you are going to use wild casting indoors, I would recommend crumble (more like a commercial texture) them and sifting them.

This is some of my collecting. It is a mix of all 3 locations. It also is not as dry as the pic looks. I've been trying to keep them moist, as to keep the microbes active.
picture.php

10-10-15

So I'm doing some reading on nightcrawlers, and thought I'd share a few things i found.

This is a description on a red worm (red wiggler) vs a nightcrawler.
http://www.ehow.com/about_6654335_di...tcrawlers.html

This is just a wiki page with some basic information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumbricus_terrestris

This is some info on how worms function. (breath, eat, move)
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/worm/WormLife.html

I didn't see the need to link these. Most the info was just repeats from above, but I thought some of it could be useful.
Quote:
Dinner Time
Nighcrawlers get their name from their nighttime feeding schedule. They often burrow below the surface of the ground during the day and come out at night. As they burrow into the ground the feed off of organic matter, such as leaves and dead grass, making them herbivores. At night, they grab their food from the surface and drag it underground when feeding. Where large groups live, it is common to hear them rustling leaves at night during feeding.
Quote:
Nightcrawlers do produce castings as they eat, but don't have nearly the voracious appetite as their cousins (red worms). However, they're extremely important to soil. As they burrow into the soil, they take organic material along with them much into the subsoils of the earth; where the red wigglers don't travel. Earthworms do a lot of mixing and aerating.
I'm not finding really any good info on nightcrawler casting in particular. Not like there is for red worms. I would think they have roughly the same quality, just much less quantity. The general conciseness is that worm casting of any kind are good. ~diet = ~casting... Which reinforces my feelings on creating biodiversity from multiple sources.

10-10-15
I'm having a hard time finding anything scientific, but IMO experience is just as good. Most listing in regards to nightcrawlers are for European NC. As far as my mj plants I'll probably just roll with it as long as I don't get an infestation. All of them are in different life stages, and various methods as is. I do have a fair amount of tomato plants though, and can use some for a control group.

If you find anything interesting please feel free to post it here, or pm me.
smile.gif
I'd love to hear how your experiences go with it when you start your project.

Take care.

10-12-15

So I went ahead and started feeding. These guys can eat, and fast. I know they can consume up to their body weight daily, but to see it was a bit different.

I gave them a small batch to start with. It was about 1.5 lbs of veg/fruit scraps, and some coffee grounds. I blended it with rain water to make a slurry. It was a thick soup consistence, and thick enough to stay on top of the bedding. The next morning (~8hrs) it looked unchanged. Later that afternoon it was about 1/2 gone. It was completely gone in the morning. Not even a slim/film remained.

The second batch is in the bin now.
It contains:
~1/3 of a brown paper bag as the base
2 egg shells, baked and finely ground
peels from 1.5 bananas, also baked and finely ground
a pinch of chicken manure
~¼cup of dried comfry roots
a pinch of green sand (GS)
a few drops of FPJ

I soaked the brown paper, comfry, and fpj in rain water overnight. In the morning I added the rest of the items except the green sand, and blended them together. **Side note, making brown paper pulp with a stick blender, is pretty disgusting looking. Remind me of something in the sewer.** After adding the brown slurry, I sprinkled the GS on the food. The GS was more for grit than food. However I'm pretty sure there is enough grit at the moment.

I also added a few layers of newspaper, and a layer of brown paper to the top to try and keep more moisture in the bin. This also seemed to encourage the worms to eat from the top of the slurry. The first batch I didn't see any worms above the soil line, just the food disappearing. I'm not sure what would be normal, just something I noticed.

10-14-15

So I was checking the food levels this morning and found a cocoon. This put a smile on my face. It is obviously going to happen, but the 1st Ive seen in real life.
picture.php
picture.php

Another thing I noticed is the worm are hanging out on top of the bedding. This only started after I put the paper layers on top, and I assume the worms think of it as another layer of soil. I'm also guessing they are eating off the paper as it decomposes. I'm using the paper to help keep moisture in, as this in is my house with a lower RH%. I'm a bit timid about putting them in the FL heat. I don't have the constant shade the breeder had.

I may take the paper off, I'm not sure. They don't seem to be eating the "feed" as fast, and are spread out. There is still a group at the feed site, but not as condensed as before. I don't know. Maybe I'll consult the forums for this.

I'll be making another batch of food today too.
This is the expected ingredients, I'll update if it is different.
¼ cup comfrey roots
peels of 1.5 bananas baked and ground
~3/4 lb fruit scraps
1/4 brown paper bag
coffee grounds and filter (1 pots worth)
enough rain water to make a slurry

This is kinda fun to be honest. It reminds me of being a child at the lake hunting worms in the morning. I just have the advantage this time.
smile.gif

This brings me up to date with the project. Now please under stand I am talking about different species of worm.

The worm bin consist of red worms, more commonly known as red wigglers. While the free range poo is from the "American" nightcrawler. To be more exact I believe it is the Canadian nightcrawler, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll be doing an update tomorrow,and fill in how it looks. I also lots of info that I just haven't really been able to get through yet. I'm off for now, got a plate of food calling my name.

Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to join in.

Thats awesome Corgy! Congrats on starting a bin. The local breeder has the ENC (eisenia hortensis) too, but I wanted the red worms 1st. I do plan on starting a bin of them too as soon as money permits. I'm not sure where you are located country wise, so forgive my ignorance, but have you looked at craigslist for a worm breeder? That is where I found "Good'ol Teddy", the nut job in love with worms. **Teddy if you see this... Nut job is meant in the highest regard. :)** I got them at ~50% of market value.

I personally can't afford a prefabricated bin, but the 1 you linked looks pretty nice. Just a heads up on the leachate. I don't know this scientifically, but try not to let it sit to long before using it. From my understanding it will become anaerobic very fast. I have read about some people adding a small (10-20 gallon) fish pump to to the bottom tray to battle this. The idea is that with the dissolved O2 you can pool more before it "spoils". I'll see if I can find some kind of scientific evidence of that. Tell then, I just urge you to use caution with it.

This is a post I found on gardenweb...

"Leachate is very variable. It's value (or harm) for houseplants is based on many different parameters. If your bin has some anaerobic parts, there is a chance the leachate contains phenols or alcohols which are harmful to plants. If it has no smell, you can dilute it and use it on house plants safely most of the time. The key word is *MOST*.
What I do is add some dry bedding to the bin and sprinkle the leachate over it.
For watering houseplants, I fill a watering can 1/4 full with worm castings and then fill it with water (that has the chlorine off gassed) and use that. No danger of harm to the plants with that method."

Maybe tomorrows research will be on that. Good luck on the bin. Feel free to post updates to it here.

Take care.

Ps. I just found this on garden web too...
"actually, leachate means your bin is to moist. Add less moist food stuff, and more dry matter.You really shouldn't have much leachate." So this will defiantly be tomorrows topic. Anyone have any input?

Last edited:
Back