12/12 from seed?

Hi. First time posting here. I'm still a novice grower as I only grew 6 plants so far but I just wanted to contribute to this thread based on my own experience. I had 2 photoperiod plants (Rocky Dirck, free seeds) on 12/12 and I wanted to see if I could grow an auto from seed to harvest on that light schedule while the 2 photos were flowering. I popped one auto seed (Girl Scout Cookies from Fastbuds) and just let her do her thing with minimal care, feeding with Megacrop once a week and no training whatsoever. I can tell you that it was the fastest auto I grew although the yield has suffered a bit. She gave me 33g of sweet resinous dense foxtailed buds in just 65 days and they are a pleasure to smoke. The 2 photos took longer just to flower but each yielded about 130g each. So my conclusion is: autos do yield less on 12/12 but they do seem to finish faster.

Your grow was probably more of a strain anomaly than not. When I used to run my old led lights 24/7, that is the only time that I finished quicker with a bit more yield. You got bud and that's great.

I'm one who's never run autos more than 14/10 and even grow in small pots and think I do pretty good. For years I grew with hps and yeilds were acceptable as I only grow for myself and really just like to watch auto explode around a month old.
Then last year I upgraded lighting to a mix of 2 autocobs and 2 leds....with the same 14/10, yeild doubled and tripled. Recently had 3 fastbud gsc average 76g dry...as I said, small 3 ltr pot and 14/10.
Fastbuds has become my fav breeder as they do so good in small pots which I prefer, and do well with the less light I givem.

Anyone ever try a 12/12 from start to finish to see what happens on an Auto? They say the less light hours the faster they finish. I know harvest yield would be reduced also but fast harvests are better in my opinion because I can start new strains and get more varieties in my smoking vault. Anyone ever run 12 and 12 from seed on an auto? If so how was yield and grow length compared to a longer light cycle like 18/6 or 20/4?

Didn't do autos on 12/12 from start to finish, but did have them outside at around 12/12 to 13/11 max after 3 weeks.
Mainly Sweet Seeds and Fast Buds, all finished after 8 to 9 weeks.
Weather was pretty shit outside, constant rain, cloud, mist, fog for last 4 weeks. Mountain grow in a rainy location.
20170529 Cream Mandarine XL Harvest (3).jpg

Cream Mandarine XL

20170529 AutoMazar.jpg

Auto Mazar

20170602 Jack 47 - Day 61.jpg

Jack 47

All autos.

Have some auto regs outside now, in the wild, no attention given.
Light is about 11/13 or so, temps 15C-25C.
Have done a similar outside winter grow here before.
Got maybe 1/2 to 1 oz out of a bunch of little plants.

The ones I have this time maybe pretty good.
La Buena Hierba genetics, bred for cool / cold northern European outdoor grows.

Can be done!

A good idea is to do the opposite to photos. Start at 12/12 and when flowering starts switch to a schedule with more hours like 18/6. This way you save up electricity and your yield is not really affected by the light schedule. You can also combine the flowering of photos with the vegetation of autos. The red spectrum will stretch them enough to make up for the lost hours and once you flip to 18/6 everything is ok.
That's for indoors, outdoors all these are insignificant since if your plant is positioned in a place where it can exploit full sunshine all day long, even with many cloudy days, it gets more light that the minimum required.

its a weed- lights on 24 hours , no need for night time - autos breed to flower no matter what... we tend to over complicate things

Have some of LBH's autos that will soon go outside to 12/12 naturally after 1+ weeks inside under 16/8.
Will keep an eye on total time, if their guerilla location gets them through to the end.
Then compare that to LBH's time for those strains on his website.

Outdoors the plants express their full genetic potential. This doesn't mean necessarily a shorter grow time. But it can be much shorter than indoors since the sun is the most powerful grow light. Even less than 12 hours of sunlight are more than enough for a plant to grow adequately.

Seems like there was some bad( incomplete) info in this thread. Most the autos I’ve had/seen are crossed with Mexican ruderals. It’s not arctic time periods that made them autoflower. Possibly the Mexican trait comes from lack of water during dry seasons. This fits the bill with autos as the equator has increased amounts of daytime sunlight and minimal dark hours. I’ve also used cobs, LEDs, and hps. My yield was from smallest to largest in that order. Maybe the autocobs are different but don’t assume it’s a wonder light that will increase your yield exponentially, that’s not the case. There is a reason my/hps lighting has been used for a long time. Just my 2 cents.

Bud the best advice I can give you is to stop using hps and switch to led. You will save more in the end by going led than will cutting light. The light will pay for itself in a few grows. I think the sweet spot is 20/4. I do 24/0 in winter for the heat like Mizzo said. I have to say I dont see a difference in growth between 20/4 and 24/0. Anything that is living can use a little rest in my opinion. They grow in 24hr of light in the artic because they have no choice. If they could rest I bet they'd love it lol. And doesnt it get kinda dark in some place that are 24hr of light? I saw something on TV where they were in 24hr of light but it wasnt bright very low light. Was early am looked a lot like dawn but was like that for few hrs. Play around and report back. Sometimes you just have to do it yourself to find out.
Appreciate your info., I’m going to switch to 20/4 next grow like u & see if my avg stays the same...running photos & autos current grow (switched lighting to 13/11 @ photo day 15 & autos were day 26 & already flowering by design timing. All doing great , autos flowering the same as 24/0 previously & 2 photos pre-flowering in 7 days surprisingly-4 others are not.
(I use Happy Frog Ocean Forest & Miracle Grow seed starter- quite honestly live the MG seed starter not lost a bean yet). Feed with Orchid Food Nuits (high P-K) & Molasses now, switch to P-K later after week 6.
Some articles I’ve read mention feeding larger amounts of P-K early to promote faster flowering as long as u are using “hot soil”, which Ocean Forest is...comments welcomed pos or neg !!!

Back