Allowing plants to flower long & potency - opinions

MrAutoGrower

Learning as I grow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
3Wok OG
Hey everyone!

I usually allow my plants to flower from 8 weeks to 9 weeks.

What I’m wondering is, what would happen if I let them flower 10 or 11 weeks? Will those amber trichomes provide a much stronger high? Couch lock high. Or, will it just produce a weaker high because the trichomes change into cbn and so on.

The reason I’m asking is that for some reason any time I grow, I can never produce something that will completely knock me out. I smoke quite a lot, so my tolerance may be quite high. But I’m really starting to wonder if autos are actually less potent in terms of sedative effects.

Any my products I have smoked, never knock me out. It makes me wonder if I’m pulling them too early, if it’s just autos in general, strain choices, etc. I used to smoke from other people and it was more potent than anything I grow. Either that, or my tolerance has just got high over the years since then.

Any time I pull my plants, there is at least 10% amber. I just harvested a fastbuds banana purple punch which is supposed to be a knockout Indica. I mean, I feel the effects but it definitely get me to the point I cannot move or anything lol

I’m really looking forward to hearing people’s opinions on this.

Hey everyone!

What I’m wondering is, what would happen if I let them flower 10 or 11 weeks? Will those amber trichomes provide a much stronger high? Couch lock high. Or, will it just produce a weaker high because the trichomes change into cbn and so on.

The reason I’m asking is that for some reason any time I grow, I can never produce something that will completely knock me out. I smoke quite a lot, so my tolerance may be quite high. But I’m really starting to wonder if autos are actually less potent in terms of sedative effects.

Any my products I have smoked, never knock me out. It makes me wonder if I’m pulling them too early, if it’s just autos in general, strain choices, etc. I used to smoke from other people and it was more potent than anything I grow. Either that, or my tolerance has just got high over the years since then.

Any time I pull my plants, there is at least 10% amber. I just harvested a fastbuds banana purple punch which is supposed to be a knockout Indica. I mean, I feel the effects but it definitely get me to the point I cannot move or anything lol

Your right to leave them longer for the couch lock. For my photos I will chop end of week 10 sometimes mid week 11. I find this to be the optimum window for most if my strains.
I've got a gg4 bx1 that's ready at week 8 but I take her to mid week 11. She's a potent beast and the more she is couch lock the less anxiety she causes.
When I do autos most of the time I will chop week 11 to 12 from the seed propping. I found most auto go a lot longer than stated on the packet. I will check the tricombs but also looking at how the plant is drinking. Tale tell sign she is done when they drink less.
I mainly grow photos so its easy for me to experiment with chop times for the best high.

Now the age old questions of are autos as poten as photos. We'll my answers would be yes they are. They have come a long way of recent. But what think they suffer from is smaller selection of real heavy potency strains. Two to the dozen with photos. Every other pack will knock your socks off. The menu is huge so they get the crown for the potent just because there are more on them.

The trick with auto is to avoid the replicas or copy's. I've grown fast buds gorilla glu and I've popped 24 gg4 bx1 seeds by dark horse and the official GG4 company. Trust me the fastbuds gg4 is not gg4 by a very long way.
I would stick with original gentic fif autos like the Menphisto boys make.
That's is definitely some poten autos.

A tolerance break goes a long way.
Mon to Friday I don't wake and bake any more snd try hold out until late afternoon/early evening. Its working great, dabs are knocking me out again.

Passing this on

giphy (3).gif

Hey everyone!

Hello when they turn amber you dont get more high as the thc is degrading. i think its more to do with cultivar as i have grown a good few plants at least 50 diffrent cultivar's the only one i have found to gave me proper couch lock is slaughtered lamb by sawney bean as soon as the trics all go cloudy you going to be fcked and sleepy as fck all the rest dont cut it i am a heavy smoker so i can relate to what you say

Your right to leave them longer for the couch lock. For my photos I will chop end of week 10 sometimes mid week 11. I find this to be the optimum window for most if my strains.
I've got a gg4 bx1 that's ready at week 8 but I take her to mid week 11. She's a potent beast and the more she is couch lock the less anxiety she causes.
When I do autos most of the time I will chop week 11 to 12 from the seed propping. I found most auto go a lot longer than stated on the packet. I will check the tricombs but also looking at how the plant is drinking. Tale tell sign she is done when they drink less.
I mainly grow photos so its easy for me to experiment with chop times for the best high.

Now the age old questions of are autos as poten as photos. We'll my answers would be yes they are. They have come a long way of recent. But what think they suffer from is smaller selection of real heavy potency strains. Two to the dozen with photos. Every other pack will knock your socks off. The menu is huge so they get the crown for the potent just because there are more on them.

The trick with auto is to avoid the replicas or copy's. I've grown fast buds gorilla glu and I've popped 24 gg4 bx1 seeds by dark horse and the official GG4 company. Trust me the fastbuds gg4 is not gg4 by a very long way.
I would stick with original gentic fif autos like the Menphisto boys make.
That's is definitely some poten autos.

A tolerance break goes a long way.
Mon to Friday I don't wake and bake any more snd try hold out until late afternoon/early evening. Its working great, dabs are knocking me out again.

Passing this on

View attachment 1478971
My autos usually veg for around 4-6 weeks then I let them flower for 8-9. So they can go up to 15 weeks sometimes and even then the trichomes aren’t completely amber. I just recently grew a purple nuggets by Mephisto and strawberry nuggets. The strawberry nuggets hits a lil harder lately, but not exactly knockout. I had her flower 9 week I think. I’ve also grown gorilla glue by fastbuds in my second grow in soil. It got locked out and she taken ages before I pulled her. Next to zero potency and extremely leafy. That was more than likely down to me though as it was only my second grow and I couldn’t get her out of a lockout. Nowadays I don’t have these kinda issues since I grow in coco. But man, it really makes me wonder if I’m at fault one way or another, or the strains I’ve grown lately just aren’t up to much. I’m thinking of buying some weed from a local dealer just to basically compare. That way I know it’s either me, or it’s down to the autos that I’m growing just aren’t cutting it. More than likely it’s down to me, but I’ve grown some amazing looking plants the past two years. Terps and bag appeal. But never grown anything that makes me go “wowewew” haha. I’m thinking of growing another few autos, maybe fastbuds Bruce banner that I have remainin, or my other Mephisto 3Wok or jammy Dodgers. I suppose I will experiment with a much longer flower Time after summer ends. If the autos just don’t do much then I will have to play with photoperiod strains to compare.

I really appreciate your insight brother! Awesome

Here is some stuff I grew

3226F021-F8D4-4DFA-B4C1-79CDD598E986.jpeg

BC6C8E7B-2951-4D89-8295-788F5D610E42.jpeg

798DAC52-B8AF-479B-9FBE-A33E9D5E6102.jpeg

11DAE8B7-5917-4596-A7F5-03C7342136F5.jpeg

I feel if a strain says 8 weeks flower to give it an extra 2 to 3 weeks. 15 to 20 percent amber is what im looking for. I smoke ever day all day and my autos get me ripped. I love growing variety tho so why i grow autos. I have grown photos also. They both get me high and i cant tell a difference if someone passed me something bomb and told me to guess auto or photo i wudnt know. Some cultivars sre better than others. If i come across strains that dont get me high smoking it ill decarb it then turn it to butter or oil, then into edibles. My friends and family tell me they like my autos over some of our friends photos smoke. They grow the same strains over and over and over and people get tired of it and want something different or new

@MrAutoGrower , it sounds like you are doing it right as far as when to harvest.

I have a question that goes along with yours, do you wait for all pistols to turn and curl?
When the pistils change colors thats a good indicator they're close and you should be checking the trichs. They dont all have to turn colors. You can still have white pistils here and there. Trichomes determine ripeness. Pistils determine when to check trichs.

I feel if a strain says 8 weeks flower to give it an extra 2 to 3 weeks. 15 to 20 percent amber is what im looking for. I smoke ever day all day and my autos get me ripped. I love growing variety tho so why i grow autos. I have grown photos also. They both get me high and i cant tell a difference if someone passed me something bomb and told me to guess auto or photo i wudnt know. Some cultivars sre better than others. If i come across strains that dont get me high smoking it ill decarb it then turn it to butter or oil, then into edibles. My friends and family tell me they like my autos over some of our friends photos smoke. They grow the same strains over and over and over and people get tired of it and want something different or new
I’m not sure I’ve even seen any autos tell us the flowering time. Usually just measured in days from seed pretty much unless I’m missing something. I’ll let an auto go at least ten to eleven weeks into flower at some point and see how it goes. I’ll just be able to experiment more with the more grows I do. But won’t be growing this summer. Humidity becomes an annoying problem for me

Which breeders do you typically go with? Considered other methods of consumption?

I like Spanish and Euro breeders quite a bit because they typically have what I like whether that is a nice landrace or something old like Northern Lights. I've had a lot of strains from work and they have never hit the same.

Last edited:
Which breeders do you typically go with? Considered other methods of consumption?

I like Spanish and Euro breeders quite a bit because they typically have what I like whether that is a nice landrace or something old like Northern Lights. I've had a lot of strains from work and they have never hit the same.
I’ve grown fastbuds, Mephisto and barneysfarm strains

Back