Pressing flower without bags vs with

Appreciate the additional input :toke:

I think it is a combination of things including:

1. Ignorance/not knowing enough or having enough experience with this.
2. Too much Lloyd Dobler in me at this point in life..." I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything...I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed."
Lloyd Dobler-sold, bought or processed [Say Anything] - YouTube

3. The variety of brands and microns and preferences is a lot.

Putting the parchment on the tile counter worked well (it hardened pretty fast)…but the collection tools were a little ridiculous to work with when it started cooling and I probably washed off a decent amount at the end:

IMG_20240426_101113696

I’m sure a hot knife or something would make a big difference.

I think the amounts I want to press alone are likely the requirement for bags based on the feedback from you guys.

Choosing bags is my challenge now...I'll likely just get a pack of DP or NS 90s or 120s to start based on what I've read since I'm mainly planning on just squishing my fresh/cured flower in the short-term, unless anyone has specific recommendations on bag brand/sizes these days? :smokeout:

I use 90 or 120's 160 on really fresh stuff. You'd be fine using 90's or 120's I used to only use 90's 2" bags now I switch back and forth between 90-120's seeing little difference or at least not enough for me to notice. I use 3" bags now cause I have bigger plates anything over 7g you should be using 2.5" bags or larger. Nugsmasher are about the best quality but dab press or dulytek bags will work fine most all bags I've used are made identical except NS which is mainly what I use now. I have others if I run out but the first to get used are the NS

FWIW some guys love their hot knifes for collecting but I still use a dab tool. Every strain and temp is going to being different but let it cool enough so that's it like taffy and collect most strains are fine on a room temp cold plate or metal or marble counter. Some strains do help/require to use put in fridge and use cold plate from freezer for really oily stuff but that's too often for me

IMG_9562.jpeg

Reactions: Mozzy

Mozzy

Helpful details
Super helpful stuff again, thank you.

FWIW some guys love their hot knifes for collecting but I still use a dab tool. Every strain and temp is going to being different but let it cool enough so that's it like taffy and collect most strains are fine on a room temp cold plate or metal or marble counter. Some strains do help/require to use put in fridge and use cold plate from freezer for really oily stuff but that's too often for me

...I feel like I'm dealing with blown-glass that hardens fast and I scrape one tool with another to get it all together and off into something else but it never wants to come off everything.

Since you just use your cold tools for collection like I've tried, how do you get rosin off them once collected?

I use 90 or 120's 160 on really fresh stuff. You'd be fine using 90's or 120's I used to only use 90's 2" bags now I switch back and forth between 90-120's seeing little difference or at least not enough for me to notice. I use 3" bags now cause I have bigger plates anything over 7g you should be using 2.5" bags or larger. Nugsmasher are about the best quality but dab press or dulytek bags will work fine most all bags I've used are made identical except NS which is mainly what I use now. I have others if I run out but the first to get used are the NS
So the NS bags are ~25% more than Press Club, and are ~3x the DP...willing to try the NS first but curious what/how big the difference is that they are your preference now with all the experience you have?

Also, can I just leave rosin on a folded piece of parchment in an airtight container either at room temp or in the fridge for days or weeks until used if need be?

Super helpful stuff again, thank you.

...I feel like I'm dealing with blown-glass that hardens fast and I scrape one tool with another to get it all together and off into something else but it never wants to come off everything.

Since you just use your cold tools for collection like I've tried, how do you get rosin off them once collected?

ISO alcohol cleans tools up most the time I take a fresh rip once I'm done collecting and the heat from the enail banger gets most off then soak in ISO. Rosin is tricky to get the hang of handling cause it does stick to everything. I collect and use the parchment paper to clean the tool. Pinch the paper around the tool as hard as you can and pull the tool out. If you rosin is getting shattering try collecting it warmer

So the NS bags are ~25% more than Press Club, and are ~3x the DP...willing to try the NS first but curious what/how big the difference is that they are your preference now with all the experience you have?

Also, can I just leave rosin on a folded piece of parchment in an airtight container either at room temp or in the fridge for days or weeks until used if need be?

IMPE and others the press club bags are the worst it the material some are softer then other making them easy to pack the big difference with the NS is the two seams up the sides and none on the bottom make the bag take shape and hold it better while packing and pressing.

Last edited:

I have and it was fine if I'm storing rosin in paper I fold all sides up after it's main fold makes it some what sealed? :shrug:Is it ideal no but it works ok not sure long term most my rosin doesn't more then a couple weeks. I press enough for the week or two at most as needed.

Last edited:
You can heat the dab tool with a lighter or torch close to but not on the dabs just enough to heat the tool so the rest slides off:lildab::pass:

parchment paper to clean the tool. Pinch the paper around the tool as hard as you can and pull the tool out. If you rosin is getting shattering try collecting it warmer

difference with the NS is the two seams up the sides and none on the bottom make the bag take shape and hold it better while packing and pressing

press enough for the week or two at most as needed
heat the dab tool with a lighter or torch close to but not on the dabs just enough to heat the tool so the rest slides off
A lot of super helpful info. and feedback. Grateful for it all :baked:

• Love
Reactions: Lil Dab

Lil Dab

Your welcome no problem
So the NS bags are ~25% more than Press Club,
Stay away from press club stuff. Only thing decent is the parchment. Price isn't worth the aggravation of blowing out bags constantly

Will be ordering some bags, but couldn't help myself and squeezed an 1/8 of a different strain that was ~63% RH and was chopped ~8 weeks ago:
IMG_20240307_115523764.jpg

IMG_20240428_093829399.jpg
IMG_20240428_093900776.jpg
IMG_20240428_094321588.jpg

:baked: ...the Carta counter has been started and I appreciate the help getting here.

Stay away from press club stuff. Only thing decent is the parchment. Price isn't worth the aggravation of blowing out bags constantly
Appreciate the feedback. I've got Kirkland parchment already, which seems to be working okay, but will stick with a couple of the other bags to start :cheers:

Back