Grow Room amended super soil + small containers

doubledankdoug

currently only 1.5x dank
Reaction score
TLDR; are there growlogs or a recommended formula out there for autos in low volume containers (1 gallon or less) with organic dry amendments?

Hi AFN, first post here - just finishing up my first tiny tiny grow and trying to do some research before I start in on number 2.

My primary motivation is to grow variety of strains, yield is a secondary goal I expect to work up to.

I'm working with a super tiny space (about 2.5sqft floor space split between two boxes, ~36 in height), running an HLG100 3000k on one side, and an HLG65 4000k on the other, both at between 45% and 60% strength at various points during the grow.
First grow, I went with 5 different strains in 1 gallon fabric pots. I used sohum living soil as my base soil, with 1tbsp/gallon Dr Earth Homegrown (4-6-3) as an amendment. First 10 days they were in 3oz cups with plain soil, then transplanted into 1 gallon fabric pots with the lightly amended soil. After that I started top dressing at every watering with approx 1tbsp of Dr Earth Homegrown until about week 4, when I added 1tbsp Dr Earth Flower Girl per watering (so total, 2tbsp / watering). Watering was approx once every 5-7 days with PHd charcoal filtered water, as it was taking a long time for soil to dry out.

3 out of the 5 plants made it to harvest, two of them, which seemed healthy, died for unknown reasons during flowering. All of the plants experienced mild to extreme deficiency or other stress at some point during the grow - for the ones that survived, it was mostly just yellowing and crisping / die off of fan leaves, which I see is fairly normal with these really small containers.

My plan for the next grow is to use 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon containers, with much more heavily amended soil - anywhere from 3 to 18 tbsp of amendment total, as some on other forums have suggested it's pretty difficult to burn plants with organic dry amendments. Based on the growlogs I've read in the micro sub of small container grows (from archie, spanglish, hairyman, etc), I don't really see anyone using dry amendments, and this is what the guys at my local shop suggested - it'll be much easier to push liquid nutrients into the soil with each watering, for a more hydro-style feed/grow. I've also seen some people just using Dr Earth to make a nutrient tea for every feeding as well. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Is there an accepted way of doing, or at least an example of anyone having success with the combination of autos + small containers + organic dry amendments? Thanks!

Last edited:
TLDR; are there growlogs or a recommended formula out there for autos in low volume containers (1 gallon or less) with organic dry amendments?

AFN, first post here - just finishing up my first tiny tiny grow and trying to do some research before I start in on number 2.

My primary motivation is to grow variety of strains, yield is a secondary goal I expect to work up to.

I'm working with a super tiny space (about 2.5sqft floor space split between two boxes, ~36 in height), running an HLG100 3000k on one side, and an HLG65 4000k on the other, both at between 45% and 60% strength at various points during the grow.
First grow, I went with 5 different strains in 1 gallon fabric pots. I used sohum living soil as my base soil, with 1tbsp/gallon Dr Earth Homegrown (4-6-3) as an amendment. First 10 days they were in 3oz cups with plain soil, then transplanted into 1 gallon fabric pots with the lightly amended soil. After that I started top dressing at every watering with approx 1tbsp of Dr Earth Homegrown until about week 4, when I added 1tbsp Dr Earth Flower Girl per watering (so total, 2tbsp / watering). Watering was approx once every 5-7 days with PHd charcoal filtered water, as it was taking a long time for soil to dry out.

3 out of the 5 plants made it to harvest, two of them, which seemed healthy, died for unknown reasons during flowering. All of the plants experienced mild to extreme deficiency or other stress at some point during the grow - for the ones that survived, it was mostly just yellowing and crisping / die off of fan leaves, which I see is fairly normal with these really small containers.

My plan for the next grow is to use 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon containers, with much more heavily amended soil - anywhere from 3 to 18 tbsp of amendment total, as some on other forums have suggested it's pretty difficult to burn plants with organic dry amendments. Based on the growlogs I've read in the micro sub of small container grows (from archie, spanglish, hairyman, etc), I don't really see anyone using dry amendments, and this is what the guys at my local shop suggested - it'll be much easier to push liquid nutrients into the soil with each watering, for a more hydro-style feed/grow. I've also seen some people just using Dr Earth to make a nutrient tea for every feeding as well. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Is there an accepted way of doing, or at least an example of anyone having success with the combination of autos + small containers + organic dry amendments? Thanks!
The combination you want is a unicorn.. And a rainbow colored unicorn for new growers.. Small pots and organics do not pair well. It's counter productive, that why you don't see many example of it. The info about it being difficult to burn plants with organics just isn't true or correct. It's very easy to over feed them and have issues as you just experienced. Organic growing is usually/best done in 15 gallon pots or larger. What you described doing was using a dry amendment regularly like it was a nutrient line. Dry amendments aren't made to be used regularly... What you're wanting to do is tough. In a 5 gal pot or smaller I would recommend some sort of liquid nutrient line so that you can measure the ppms/strength of the feeds. If you put 3 to 18 tbsp of Dr Earth into a half gallon or one gallon pot, it will fry the plants worse than it did on the last grow. With organics, the bigger the pot, the more soil you have, which means more available food, more space for roots to find food, and the less you have to amend the soil.. The smaller the pot, the less soil you can use, when means less available food, less root space and the more often. You will need to feed.

@Proph TY! Great to get a definitive answer from an authoritative source. I think I read another thread where you explained this, but I appreciate the extra detail. Three follow up questions:
  1. Would you not recommend using the dry amendments I currently have to make a nutrient tea / liquid fert? Any chance you can explain why?
  2. Is there a complete dry nutrient line that would work well for that? I've seen RO's Terp Tea line which looks like it's intended for that purpose, but I'm not sure
  3. Is there a dry-ingredient line I can use for that purpose? IE buy the raw inputs of the organic liquid solution and brew myself?

@Proph TY! Great to get a definitive answer from an authoritative source. I think I read another thread where you explained this, but I appreciate the extra detail. Three follow up questions:
  1. Would you not recommend using the dry amendments I currently have to make a nutrient tea / liquid fert? Any chance you can explain why?
  2. Is there a complete dry nutrient line that would work well for that? I've seen RO's Terp Tea line which looks like it's intended for that purpose, but I'm not sure
  3. Is there a dry-ingredient line I can use for that purpose? IE buy the raw inputs of the organic liquid solution and brew myself?
Let's see here, lol..

1. You can make a nutrient tea out of any dry nutrient you choose..

2. That's all personal preference.. Just be careful because some dry amendments can be "time rekease" which you don't want. Terp tea sounds like something that's molasses based or carb based because that's what effects terps.. There are tons of pre made/mixed compost teas on the market as well .

3. See #1.. While keeping in mind that each dry amendment has its own NPK ratio and that they need to be nixed together properly to get the correct npk ratio for the end product. That's above my pay grade, lol. I use the "craft blend" from Build A Soil ad both a top dress and a tea base. The did all the lab work and testing ratios to make sure it's balanced correctly.

Let's see here, lol..

1. You can make a nutrient tea out of any dry nutrient you choose..

2. That's all personal preference.. Just be careful because some dry amendments can be "time rekease" which you don't want. Terp tea sounds like something that's molasses based or carb based because that's what effects terps.. There are tons of pre made/mixed compost teas on the market as well .

3. See #1.. While keeping in mind that each dry amendment has its own NPK ratio and that they need to be nixed together properly to get the correct npk ratio for the end product. That's above my pay grade, lol. I use the "craft blend" from Build A Soil ad both a top dress and a tea base. The did all the lab work and testing ratios to make sure it's balanced correctly.

Great info, TY!

Growing a small, fast cultivar in 3 gallons of KIS amended soil, with water and mammoth p only IS possible. This plant is 63 days old, and within the harvest window, and grown without deficiencies.
That said, it is reasonable to have a good bloom tea at the ready, as larger, hungrier, longer running plants will not finish well in less than 5 gallons, and preferably 7.
Chemdog x Anvil coming down tomorrow:
4E4FB8B2-1FA1-497F-B196-C24B7DAC129E.jpeg
B368CC95-4FC4-4C9E-9736-642F4AEC4D9B.jpeg

Growing a small, fast cultivar in 3 gallons of KIS amended soil, with water and mammoth p only IS possible. This plant is 63 days old, and within the harvest window, and grown without deficiencies.
That said, it is reasonable to have a good bloom tea at the ready, as larger, hungrier, longer running plants will not finish well in less than 5 gallons, and preferably 7.
Chemdog x Anvil coming down tomorrow: View attachment 1285026View attachment 1285027
stunner! 3 gallon would be my maximum container volume given my space, and I think with that much medium I'd be looking at a lot of training to keep the height down. Have you ever completed a grow cycle in a smaller container with dry organics?

stunner! 3 gallon would be my maximum container volume given my space, and I think with that much medium I'd be looking at a lot of training to keep the height down. Have you ever completed a grow cycle in a smaller container with dry organics?
Yes, completed, but not without some issues. What lights are you using? Very difficult with cobs to grow in smaller containers with dry amended soil , without supplementing.
Best cultivars would be smaller, very fast finishers, like Meph’s Sour Crack, Night Owl’s Blue Microverse, Meph’s 4Assed Monkey.. these are 60 ish day strains. Would not attempt an 80-90 day plant in 3 gallons, without addins.

Yes, completed, but not without some issues. What lights are you using? Very difficult with cobs to grow in smaller containers with dry amended soil , without supplementing.
Best cultivars would be smaller, very fast finishers, like Meph’s Sour Crack, Night Owl’s Blue Microverse, Meph’s 4Assed Monkey.. these are 60 ish day strains. Would not attempt an 80-90 day plant in 3 gallons, without addins.
I'm using an HLG 100 on one side and an HLG 65 on the other, these are small QBs. The 100 is at 50%, the 65 is at ~60%. I would love to get my hands on Blue Microverse or 4AM but neither has been available since I started snapping up seeds. I've got some Meph and some Night Owls and a few Barneys, but nothing listed as a 60 day finisher.

Even so, I'm ok mixing up some teas or top dressing (though, every watering got a bit tedious and sounds like it's misguided), to get access to longer running strains. The appeal of dry amendments is simplicity/ease of use, but not at the cost of variety. Any other suggestions for working within my simplicity / space / goal constraints?

I'm using an HLG 100 on one side and an HLG 65 on the other, these are small QBs. The 100 is at 50%, the 65 is at ~60%. I would love to get my hands on Blue Microverse or 4AM but neither has been available since I started snapping up seeds. I've got some Meph and some Night Owls and a few Barneys, but nothing listed as a 60 day finisher.

Even so, I'm ok mixing up some teas or top dressing (though, every watering got a bit tedious and sounds like it's misguided), to get access to longer running strains. The appeal of dry amendments is simplicity/ease of use, but not at the cost of variety. Any other suggestions for working within my simplicity / space / goal constraints?
No question that a dry amended, water only system seems like the ideal, but growing in smaller than 3 gallons is a recipe for disaster... been there.
I would look for some quick ones and get your system dialed in from there. Mephisto and Night Owl are honest about finish times. Twisted Tree through Green Grass Seeds has a couple fast ones.

Back