Auto vs photo -- potency comparison

MrAutoGrower

Learning as I grow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
3Wok OG
What do you guys think?

Have you ever smoked an auto and then smoked a photo? Is there any notable difference between the two in your opinion regarding potency and terps. If so, which was stronger? And what was the stankiest?

I’m here. What’s the topic? Potency?
12DD24E9-5475-4037-9AE7-2E12FD080131.png
2C3D2344-8078-4CB7-BE56-B62CC35BFF7E.png
44488787-BF54-41BE-B5B9-FECCC29D768C.jpeg
C7542527-CA15-4AC5-B06F-A9D1C98AE8EB.jpeg
129A4A46-E39D-411E-B44F-75FEBE2BAB7F.jpeg

This is an old post by me, but I’d like to clarify this up from recent experience.

I gave some smoke to a few friends and they all smoke photoperiods. I never told any of them the smoke I gave them was from autos.

They absolutely loved it and were not able to differentiate between them.

I thought I’d update this in case someone else came across this thread in the future regarding the same question.

The strains I grew:

Stardawg - Fastbuds (awesome plant, resilient, and takes a beautiful structure with little training. 6oz from her)

Forbidden Runtz - Fast buds (pretty great plant and can get massive if fed and trained properly - had one shit pheno, other two were superb. Can hit pretty hard! 6.5-7.5 oz per plant.)

#godlovetheautos

Last edited:
I started with photos, then discovered autos bout 15 years ago. Although I grow mostly autos now, I always select a good strain of photos to run alongside. Autos have come a long way and I'd dare say now that a well grown auto is as good or better than a well grown photo although lots of deviation occurs when ya throw in impatient growers, environment and a million other small factors.

I started with photos, then discovered autos bout 15 years ago. Although I grow mostly autos now, I always select a good strain of photos to run alongside. Autos have come a long way and I'd dare say now that a well grown auto is as good or better than a well grown photo although lots of deviation occurs when ya throw in impatient growers, environment and a million other small factors.

Yeah you’re absolutely correct bro. I’ve done 4 grows now, all were really shit. But i go into everything with an open mind an experiment with everything until I get everything just right. My 4th grow I averaged 20oz from roughly 4 plants and they were great quality despite my harsh climate during the summer

95B658F2-7493-4B2F-A117-564187064F4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep there’s a lot of old school growers that will swear that photos have more potency/ better terpene profiles. And they would be right if this was a few years ago. But I think as long as you’re working with some decent auto genetics you will get some decent flowers . I have yet to get ANY complaints about the flowers I’ve grown. Yields are definitely bigger with photoperiod plants. A couple weeks back a friend of mine showed me his outdoor garden and it was shocking how much flower he got off just one of those monsters ! But I don’t have the room to grow a tree in my house

Back