What was the first Autoflower that changed your mind?

your missing better quality bud
Can you describe or explain specifically what I'm missing, I don't understand...It has been a while but I didn't buy better bud at a dispensary than the autos I grow, so how would photos be better quality bud for me? Is this something you can articulate?

If you can't, that's fine; I'm the last one that wants to argue on here, so I hope that's not the impression I gave and I would generally not even acknowledge posts of people who's intention was to argue...I genuinely would like to know if there's really something I'm missing.

the ability to tell people that you really grow weed
I don't tell anyone I grow...so I understand if that's a motivating factor for others.

still a lil baby mj growng noob.
I'm not sure what that means, but if it's an insult, please refrain... This is not the forum for that vibe :vibe:

One day you will progress and wonder why you didnt want to move forward
I guess I still don't know what progress is if I grow more than I need, better than I can buy, for basically free.

autos are "better" now but like its not growing real weed
What does real weed mean?

Yes there really is something your missing. Maybe I cant articulate it because the difference is so grand. Autoflowers like buying the newest tomato variety from homedepot after the growing season started and giving it miracle grow "organic" .Sure you will get some tomatoes that are better than stop and shop. Where as Photo periods are like starting your own heirloom seed and babying it before planting. You have the best of the best.
Maybe you have never planted veggies either?

Autoflowers are kinda like the "my little pony" of cannabis. They have a great following and represent something for some people but the rest of the world marches to a differnt beat.
I can tell you are a new grower by the way you write.-
Growing more than you need has nothing to do with progression. Plenty of people dont smoke. They can still progress in their knowledge.
Real weed means non ruderalis ruddys = play toys. Toys are great they teach us humans how to learn as we grow.

Next your gonna tell me you never killed male plants.

I'm all for the underdog getting a win. But lets be real autos are the under dog.

Last edited:
I have more seeds than I can grow, but I see the appeal for some folks :cheers:

N/A

View attachment 1658301View attachment 1658302View attachment 1658304
View attachment 1658303

I have yet to grow anything that was significantly like it's sibling seeds, but they all have been good.

Appreciate your thoughts...if you think of anything else that might be motivating, I'd love to hear it too.
I know you can pretty much do a heavy defoliation and top several times but I found it to be counter productive on many occasions (you're a better man than me for being so aggressive with your plants). I actually stunted several autos on various occasions so I usually just leave them in their forever home do some LST, some fan leaf defoliation, lollipop them, and after that just let them do their thing.

Yes there really is something your missing. Maybe I cant articulate it because the difference is so grand. Autoflowers like buying the newest tomato variety from homedepot after the growing season started and giving it miracle grow "organic" .Sure you will get some tomatoes that are better than stop and shop. Where as Photo periods are like starting your own heirloom seed and babying it before planting. You have the best of the best.

Autoflowers are kinda like the "my little pony" of cannabis. They have a great following and represent something for some people but the rest of the world marches to a differnt beat.
Growing more than you need has nothing to do with progression. Plenty of people dont smoke. They can still progress in their knowledge.
Real weed means non ruderalis ruddys = play toys. Toys are great they teach us humans how to learn as we grow.

Would you defer to professional experience?

I have grown over 60,000+ photoperiod plants commercially in the state of Colorado both indoors, outdoors, and in greenhouses. I think that might be that "real weed" you were mentioning?

- First let me ask you a question; you don't think pollen-chucked photoperiod genetics exist?

- That there are hyped cultivars that are literally shit plants but they sound cool when you write them out on paper or market them to consumers?

- You don't think that in nature with no human intervention, that there are weak photoperiods versus strong photoperiods, not just in terms of potency, but vigor, disease and pest resistance and other attributes that on a harvestable, farmable scale, would be considered important?

Being a photoperiod doesn't make it just instantly or inherently better than an autoflower hybrid. The same selective breeding practices that helped shaped better photoperiod genetics have helped shape autoflower hybrids into becoming larger plants with higher concentrated cannabinoids and terpene profiles.

The word photoperiod literally means "day length." You have a short day flowering plant (capable of being vegged indefinitely) versus a day neutral flowering plant (that cannot be vegged indefinitely.)

There's also variation in plant growth with clones; even if clones are genetically identical with one another, they will not be identical in physical or behavioral characteristics, because DNA is not the only determinant of these characteristics. A pair of clones will experience different environments and nutritional inputs.

At one of my farms, we grew out this amazing looking purple colored cultivar called "Purple Reign." Photoperiod, by clone-only. Tested out at a whopping 8% THC. Single digits. In the state of Colorado, the average potency of most photoperiod, clone-only flower is around 19% (taken from a state supplied document from lab submissions from commercial cultivation facilities.) How's that for a bit of a quick sober?

Many Colorado commercial indoor farms are growing 1/4 pound dry harvest plants. I'm sure no one has ever grown a 1/4 pound dry harvest autoflower.

.... psssst. That was sarcasm. There have been numerous 1+ pound autoflowers grown to date.

Furthermore; many farms are now looking at commercial autoflower growing -in addition to- their photoperiod grows because of the potential to get in extra harvests, and much of that flower can used for what are called MIP's, or Marijuana Infused Products.

Our own Dan Jimmie, the owner/breeder of Gnome Automatics, has his genetics on MULTIPLE FARMS across the United States, has had his autoflowers sold in dispensaries as flower, turned into concentrates, etc.

Countless tens of thousands of home growers growing autoflowers. Considering how long they have been around; I don't think we can label these growers as "early adopters."

I started growing autos with LR1(terrible). Grew out a few LR2 hybrids(not much better) and some "super " autos.(meh) I personally have never smoked an auto I was happy with. I gave up and just stuck to photos. That said I haven't grown autos since like 2010ish and i am curious to experience some of the genes now a days.

By your own admission you haven't grown autoflowers in nearly 14 years. AFN just turned 13 this year and is considered the longest running autoflower forum in the world. You might have missed a few things in your time away from the plant.
If you need helping growing better plants, there is no better place than here :pighug:

Then you can grow real weed, regardless if it's an autoflower or a photoperiod!

Last edited:

I'm all for the underdog getting a win. But lets be real autos are the under dog.

First off, you're vibe is awful. Now that that's out of the way...

The only reason I'd choose a photoperiod over an autoflower is the ability to clone. And for me that's mainly for cost savings (25 $5-10 seeds, vs 1 seed and 25 free clones).

And what does tossing male plants have to do with anything? Are you against fem seeds as well? Only reg photoperiod seeds count as
"real weed"?

I started growing autos with LR1(terrible). Grew out a few LR2 hybrids(not much better) and some "super " autos.(meh) I personally have never smoked an auto I was happy with. I gave up and just stuck to photos. That said I haven't grown autos since like 2010ish and i am curious to experience some of the genes now a days.

Are you judging all autos based on what you've grown 14 years ago?

Back on topic...

I don't remember the specific strain, maybe Heisenberg Special or Walter White. Mephisto is what hooked me on autos.

My first autoflower was Lowryder2. To me as a northern grower it's great to harvest at the perfect weather but also great to fill up space in the mother room or if I replace plants to fill there space. Both photo and auto got their pro an cons so it's up to the growers to take a look what environment is present.

For my skeptical friends I have grown auto and photo versions of different strains and if they are good grown nobody can tell you what it was auto or photo.

For commercial production it's the same, I support much underground operations with fast flower strains I made , that what they need time reduced cash crops.

But this is debate we can talk about hours days and weeks so nobody can say what's the best.

To autoflower found their place in the cannabis community we can see it at AFN.

your missing better quality bud an entire globe of diversity and the ability to tell people that you really grow weed
lol

I'm not here to argue with you. still a lil baby mj growng noob.
One day you will progress and wonder why you didnt want to move forward. - im sure autos are "better" now but like its not growing real weed. I dont sell anything but i like to have weed i can sit under in the summer.

if the autos are " better" isnt it because they have been back crossed with india/sativa to wash out the ruddy genes?
Genetically wash away the LR (autoflower) and it gets better...
Bro autos are bred with photoperiod genetics. So really breeders are getting a balance between the best parts of a photo in a variety that doesnt need a photoperiod change.

Everyone is right though, your snooty this is better than that vibe isnt very becoming. Theres a breeder on here who just bred an auto with 30-something% thc. World record. If I wasnt baked Id be able to remember the breeder and strain but Im sure you'll be able to find it since you know so much, but frankly I think you need to take a big step back and reassess what you say before you just send it off. Moderators around here dont take to kindly to blatant smug, talk down to people attitudes, nor is it necessary. You also need to remember that people here arent always looking to grow the best top shelf flower possible, some people just enjoy expiriencing growing something different, hell some growers here dont even smoke. So can the attitude and remember we are all here to grow weed no matter where the genetics are.

Now that is out of the way. I cannot say anything on the actual question of this thread. Ive got somewhat of a green thumb but the time constraints and inability to extend veg times make me hesitant to start growing autos. Ive grown one so far and it was nice but had it in the tent with photos so it wasnt ideal. Will be running autos after my current grow though, all freebies from photo purchases, so we will see. Lots of people say autos are easier than a photo, but I think on a learning basis photos allow a little more leeway for novices as it gives them a chance to bounce back to an extent, but by no means am I saying autos arent worth it. Just a different beast.

Last edited:
Would you defer to professional experience?

I have grown over 60,000+ photoperiod plants commercially in the state of Colorado both indoors, outdoors, and in greenhouses. I think that might be that "real weed" you were mentioning?

- First let me ask you a question; you don't think pollen-chucked photoperiod genetics exist?

- That there are hyped cultivars that are literally shit plants but they sound cool when you write them out on paper or market them to consumers?

- You don't think that in nature with no human intervention, that there are weak photoperiods versus strong photoperiods, not just in terms of potency, but vigor, disease and pest resistance and other attributes that on a harvestable, farmable scale, would be considered important?

Being a photoperiod doesn't make it just instantly or inherently better than an autoflower hybrid. The same selective breeding practices that helped shaped better photoperiod genetics have helped shape autoflower hybrids into becoming larger plants with higher concentrated cannabinoids and terpene profiles.

The word photoperiod literally means "day length." You have a short day flowering plant (capable of being vegged indefinitely) versus a day neutral flowering plant (that cannot be vegged indefinitely.)

There's also variation in plant growth with clones; even if clones are genetically identical with one another, they will not be identical in physical or behavioral characteristics, because DNA is not the only determinant of these characteristics. A pair of clones will experience different environments and nutritional inputs.

At one of my farms, we grew out this amazing looking purple colored cultivar called "Purple Reign." Photoperiod, by clone-only. Tested out at a whopping 8% THC. Single digits. In the state of Colorado, the average potency of most photoperiod, clone-only flower is around 19% (taken from a state supplied document from lab submissions from commercial cultivation facilities.) How's that for a bit of a quick sober?

Many Colorado commercial indoor farms are growing 1/4 pound dry harvest plants. I'm sure no one has ever grown a 1/4 pound dry harvest autoflower.

.... psssst. That was sarcasm. There have been numerous 1+ pound autoflowers grown to date.

Furthermore; many farms are now looking at commercial autoflower growing -in addition to- their photoperiod grows because of the potential to get in extra harvests, and much of that flower can used for what are called MIP's, or Marijuana Infused Products.

Our own Dan Jimmie, the owner/breeder of Gnome Automatics, has his genetics on MULTIPLE FARMS across the United States, has had his autoflowers sold in dispensaries as flower, turned into concentrates, etc.

Countless tens of thousands of home growers growing autoflowers. Considering how long they have been around; I don't think we can label these growers as "early adopters."

By your own admission you haven't grown autoflowers in nearly 14 years. AFN just turned 13 this year and is considered the longest running autoflower forum in the world. You might have missed a few things in your time away from the plant.
If you need helping growing better plants, there is no better place than here :pighug:

Then you can grow real weed, regardless if it's an autoflower or a photoperiod!
Mic drop well put. dont make sense to me that he thinks autos arent real weed ? how is it not real? i cam hold it smell it smoke it and it gets me high af. Sounds real to me. Definitely not in my imagination.

Back