What was the first Autoflower that changed your mind?

Started growing autos around the time LR2 hit the market. Tried a few differnt autos around that time. Never liked em.
I'm giving them a go again now because I need seeds to give to people. I decided on Critical nevilles haze, Strawberry Pie auto, Banana Daddy IBL, all are supposed to have thc above 20%. they will all be knocked up with a non LR ruderalis strain. If I dont like any of them i will probably never grow them again, except in gorilla settings.

Started growing autos around the time LR2 hit the market. Tried a few differnt autos around that time. Never liked em.
Don't know that reference...how long we talking? I think the oldest seeds I have/grown are ~3-4 years old maybe (genetics could be older) :baked:

I'm giving them a go again now because I need seeds to give to people.
...and you want to give them auto seeds to make growing easier for new folks?

I decided on Critical nevilles haze, Strawberry Pie auto, Banana Daddy IBL, all are supposed to have thc above 20%. they will all be knocked up with a non LR ruderalis strain. If I dont like any of them i will probably never grow them again, except in gorilla settings.
I've never grown anything but autos...I’m growing indoors about as simply and organic as I reasonably can, producing flowers for personal use that are better than what I could buy at dispensaries…for what feels like almost free since I’m already way past recouping start-up costs in what I’ve harvested, and I consistently grow too much.

I would genuinely like to know to know from someone experienced, who doesn't like autos, what I am missing by not growing photos? :vibe:

After my state legalized a 4 plant grow, and wanting to dip my toes in I decided to try autos thinking I would learn some before going to photos. Haven’t felt the need to switch, but hav etried a few different methods before deciding on living soil. Just started my first grow in my new 25gallon beds with Blood Orange Haze and 4assed monkey x toof decay
Autos are easier to grow but I often tell people that there is a learning curve to growing them. Autos are different in many ways and are a joy to grow as well. I would say one of the things I don’t like is the inability to clone effectively.

I am a big fan of Living Soil growing.

By the way, if you have a link to your Blood Orange Haze grow please post it and I’ll definitely take a look.

Thanks for sharing!

I would genuinely like to know to know from someone experienced, who doesn't like autos, what I am missing by not growing photos? :vibe:
I can’t think of many but here are the ones that come to mind:

the ability to keep a mother from which to take cuttings from perpetually until she either loses vigor or potency or both.

The ability to top or prune extensively and having more control over the structure of the plant. Also, you can determine when you actually want to flower the plant.

Lastly there are many strains that can only be found as photos which I am still interested in growing.

Autos are easier to grow but I often tell people that there is a learning curve to growing them. Autos are different in many ways and are a joy to grow as well. I would say one of the things I don’t like is the inability to clone effectively.

I am a big fan of Living Soil growing.

By the way, if you have a link to your Blood Orange Haze grow please post it and I’ll definitely take a look.

Thanks for sharing!
I guess more easy in the lighting sense. Having zero personal experience with either autos or photos, I see autos aren’t susceptible to light leaks and I don’t have to flip. At the time it seemed like one less thing to have to worry about, looking back it wouldn’t have been any real extra work.

With a 4 plant max, in any stage of growth, in my state, clones and mothers didn’t appeal to me kinda skirting the law. Even though the likelihood of them caring about my personal grow is small, I also felt like it was more to learn.

I got decent results my first grow, and the subsequent 2 since have been getting better and better as I learn more. If you don’t count my failed attempt at DWC that is.

Yeah I was thinking of keeping a simple grow journal this grow, to kinda push myself to organize a bit more. I’ll try to remember to post the link or tag you or however it works on here

mother from which to take cuttings from perpetually
I have more seeds than I can grow, but I see the appeal for some folks :cheers:

ability to top or prune extensively
N/A

IMG_20231206_112225629.jpg
IMG_20231228_080746007.jpg
IMG_20240108_123648815.jpg

IMG_20240108_110709559_HDR.jpg

many strains
I have yet to grow anything that was significantly like it's sibling seeds, but they all have been good.

Appreciate your thoughts...if you think of anything else that might be motivating, I'd love to hear it too.

Last edited:
it was somewhere around 2005-2007
Ah, well those were likely at least a decade older genetics than even the old stuff these days...I have high hopes for you :growing:

growing indoors try doing some 12/12 from seed grows sativa dominant photos
My environment is not conducive to having lights off that long due to RH issues in my current regime, but what am I missing? How would those be an improvement over what I can grow from all the auto strains I have?

Thank you for the reference, but none of that is new information/applicable...I already grow good stuff, and more than I need. Is there anything specific in the final product that would be better for someone who doesn't really have to buy anything between grows, and is not not selling it?

your missing better quality bud an entire globe of diversity and the ability to tell people that you really grow weed
lol

I'm not here to argue with you. still a lil baby mj growng noob.
One day you will progress and wonder why you didnt want to move forward. - im sure autos are "better" now but like its not growing real weed. I dont sell anything but i like to have weed i can sit under in the summer.

if the autos are " better" isnt it because they have been back crossed with india/sativa to wash out the ruddy genes?
Genetically wash away the LR (autoflower) and it gets better...

Last edited:
Back