Best way to remove fan leaves.

darknight_420

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hi all

Removing fan leaves... what's the best if you're going to do it.. I know people say never but if you are going to do it what's the best way.

Pull them off with a tug close to trunk?

or

straight cut wirh sterile scissors/trimmers a couple of cm away from the trunk?

Or

dont you care how you take it and just snap with your fingernails?

Thanks

Hi all

Removing fan leaves... what's the best if you're going to do it.. I know people say never but if you are going to do it what's the best way.

or

Or

Thanks
Bro I run autos , and what I’ve read , say leave well alone . But I don’t I wait until it’s got at least 5/7nodes , then I take whatever is shading new growth. The trick is to take a couple at a time over the course of a week . My plants loved me for it. Pull off or cut don’t matter as long as it’s a clean break. Good luck 😎Skywalker haze . critical. Both autos , 7 week old Skywalker is just going into flower

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0886.mov
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_0885.jpeg
    IMG_0885.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Pinch the leaf close to the branch/stem. Then pull. I’ve found that just trying to pull them off without the pinch makes for a struggle. A little defoliation at a time. After defoliating, wait a week for her to not stress and go at it again. Only do the ones covering bud sites. Just remember they are the solar panels of the plant so a little goes a long way. I usually defoliate for air reasons now, but uncovering big bud sites helps a lot. I also use trimmers but now just gloves and the pinch method.

Any type of 'clean' cut/removal, as long as what remains has not been mangled, should be OK.

I don't see aseptic conditions, tool disinfection, sharp blades, etc. as needed. If needed for plant health, wouldn't cleaning and disinfection be applied to the plant's wounds, much as we clean and dress human cuts/wounds, not the cutting tools?

Last edited:
I’m in flower after 50 try’s . Got Skywalker haze in full force but the critical is slightly behind. If this goes well be harvested in 3/4 weeks. Have 6 , 1 week old critical in coco they’re banging . Been giving them biobizz grow and calmag since they popped thier pretty little heads out . All ways ran in soil , just starting to realise I have missed a trick not using coco . I was advised to but didn’t, now regret it . Also been playing rock music to then . I’m not sure if it’s the coco n newts or the rock music . But I choose to believe that it’s the rock music. Anyone else play music to your girls. If so what kind ?

Attachments

• IMG_0905.jpeg
    IMG_0905.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0906.jpeg
    IMG_0906.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Pinch the leaf close to the branch/stem. Then pull. I’ve found that just trying to pull them off without the pinch makes for a struggle. A little defoliation at a time. After defoliating, wait a week for her to not stress and go at it again. Only do the ones covering bud sites. Just remember they are the solar panels of the plant so a little goes a long way. I usually defoliate for air reasons now, but uncovering big bud sites helps a lot. I also use trimmers but now just gloves and the pinch method.
I like it bill , but for me it’s , take 2/3leaves every 2/3 days , worked out fantastic for me . As long as it’s a clean cut and you treat it as if one of your limbs was cut off.😜😎

Hi all

or

Or

Thanks
leave your thumb nail abit long and reach in and hold your fore finger behind the stem and nail at the front of stem and slice it with your nail.
saves alot of time and hassle of using snips.
i do lots of defol and couldn't imagine trying snips as its abit fidget. this way it can be done 1 handed and the leaf will fall on your hand after being sliced to be removed

Bro I run autos , and what I’ve read , say leave well alone . But I don’t I wait until it’s got at least 5/7nodes , then I take whatever is shading new growth. The trick is to take a couple at a time over the course of a week . My plants loved me for it. Pull off or cut don’t matter as long as it’s a clean break. Good luck 😎Skywalker haze . critical. Both autos , 7 week old Skywalker is just going into flower
Week9/10/11 ,who knows

Attachments

• IMG_1795.jpeg
    IMG_1795.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1793.jpeg
    IMG_1793.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1792.jpeg